Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TrophyNostalgia
  • 1 Post By stiflingcobra
  • 1 Post By daniel_sherlock
  • 2 Post By Res215dg

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    So long story short I've just been thinking about skipping the next video game generation and waiting a good couple of years while the prices drop and the consoles get solidified. I'm already well integrated into the Xbox ecosystem. But, there are some great exclusives on the PlayStation 3 that I've been wanting to try for some time. I've seen the 250 GB console for only $269 which is pretty low, and have contemplated enjoying the best of both systems. However, I have literally close to no exposure to the PlayStation universe other than I've occasionally played it. Should I get the 250 GB console or 500 GB console, what should I know about the PlayStation and the PSN network to fully get integrated? Hit me with all the goods and information about how to enjoy the experience.
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Go for the 500gb model trust me. If you get PS Plus you'll soon eat that disk space up!!

I too got a PS3 as I'm not getting a PS4 until Sep next year. Best choice ever. Second hand games only set you back about 5-10!!!

I've found the PS3 games to be better gfx wise to the Xbox 360 I had before...
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    Yeah. I got the 12gb stuck in a cheap 150drive. Lovely enjoyed heavy rain for 5 and now treated myself to the last of us, epic game
    Currently Use an Nokia 1020
    Own an Huawei Ascend W1
    Owned an HD7 & Nokia 710
    Was Waiting for an 2nd Gen Nokia Windows phone 8 Device
    Come on People Can't we have a new Lumia That has a SD Slot?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Windows8PhoneFanboy
    http://flic.kr/ps/2AdVF8 - Nokia 1020 Samples
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    As the above user mentioned, you definitely want to pick up the larger HDD model - PS Plus Membership (which you should definitely invest into!!) will eat your harddrive space alive! Quality games are easily 10+GB each - and that's not considering additional DLC for those games. For $50/year, PS Plus will stack you with games right off the bat and will continue to do so, and ultimately pay for itself in no time- buy it!

I think you are making a smart move by holding off until next-gen consoles drop in prices- in the mean while there are plenty of amazing PS3 games that will keep you busy - franchises such as Killzone, Infamous, Resistance, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, God of War, and of course the amazing Uncharted series- on top of those you have all those amazing indie games such as Journey, Flower, etc for under $10

You're going to love the PS3 system- and to start feel free to add me to your friends list- Res215dg

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    Like the others said lots of exclusive for you try out Drake Fortune, God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak 1, 2 and three, Killzone etc.

My username is: BIGPADDY009
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_sherlock View Post
    Yeah. I got the 12gb stuck in a cheap 150drive. Lovely enjoyed heavy rain for 5 and now treated myself to the last of us, epic game
    Exact two games I'm looking at lol, Heavy Rain is what even got me considering PlayStation. The game sucks me in.

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    Don't forget infamous!
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Res215dg View Post
    As the above user mentioned, you definitely want to pick up the larger HDD model - PS Plus Membership (which you should definitely invest into!!) will eat your harddrive space alive! Quality games are easily 10+GB each - and that's not considering additional DLC for those games. For $50/year, PS Plus will stack you with games right off the bat and will continue to do so, and ultimately pay for itself in no time- buy it!

I think you are making a smart move by holding off until next-gen consoles drop in prices- in the mean while there are plenty of amazing PS3 games that will keep you busy - franchises such as Killzone, Infamous, Resistance, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, God of War, and of course the amazing Uncharted series- on top of those you have all those amazing indie games such as Journey, Flower, etc for under $10

You're going to love the PS3 system- and to start feel free to add me to your friends list- Res215dg
    A few questions then, I love games for their immersive story value (RPG based). While I still love action based, and games in general; I play games for their cinematic/artistic value. So many of the games you mentioned for PlayStation I know have multiple games (ie God of War is on game #4 I think? or Infamous and Infamous 2). Would I need to go back and play the originals before the sequels? Any recommendations? Especially considering the 500 GB hdd was only like $30 more I also was thinking of going that route. It will be a bit before I actually make the purchase, but any tips, and game recommendations are welcome. I literally know nothing of PlayStation games besides hearing all about Little Big Planet, inFamous, God of War, Heavy Rain, etc... I just don't even know where to begin. Will definitely be looking for friends.
    Last edited by TrophyNostalgia; 07-27-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Only reason I got a PS3 was for exclusives, they're soo good! I'll stick to Xbox for multi platform games, LIVE I feel is a little tighter service than PSN and the achievements hook me in.

Biggest downfall with PS3 is that the PS store is about as slow and buggy as they come, and how they handle updates is plain horrible. Sometimes it will take me 30min from the power on to game play if there's an update.

Other than that though its a great system.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    A few questions then, I love games for their immersive story value (RPG based). While I still love action based, and games in general; I play games for their cinematic/artistic value. So many of the games you mentioned for PlayStation I know have multiple games (ie God of War is on game #4 I think? or Infamous and Infamous 2). Would I need to go back and play the originals before the sequels? Any recommendations? Especially considering the 500 GB hdd was only like $30 more I also was thinking of going that route. It will be a bit before I actually make the purchase, but any tips, and game recommendations are welcome. I literally no nothing of PlayStation games besides hearing all about Little Big Planet, inFamous, God of War, Heavy Rain, etc... I just don't even know where to begin. Will definitely be looking for friends.
    If you appreciate the artistic/cinematic side of games, then you are going to appreciate games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted- these games have enough cut scenes to be a movie in itself!

The franchises I would personally recommend to start playing from the beginning are Resistance, Infamous, and God of War. You can get away with playing Uncharted in the middle as there is no real connection between the games in the series aside from reoccurring characters. Killzone is meant for it's gameplay (tons of weapons and action, TONS!), the story is secondary to the gameplay and as a result, you can play Killzone in any order without really missing anything from the story.

Also for racing games, be sure you look into WipeOut HD and Motorstorm - 2 great, unique racers - a nice change from games like Forza/Need for Speed/Grand Turismo
    Thanked by: