Microsoft is bringing back this excellent File Explorer feature I bet you didn't know existed or had been removed

Sean Endicott

Staff member
Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Really dont know your audiance do you? It was one of the first things everyone complained about when it was removed.
The first line of the article is "Microsoft is bringing back a File Explorer feature that many have missed but there's a chance you haven't used before."

I know a lot of people miss the feature. There are also a lot of people who read the article who have never used it before.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
The first line of the article is "Microsoft is bringing back a File Explorer feature that many have missed but there's a chance you haven't used before."

I know a lot of people miss the feature. There are also a lot of people who read the article who have never used it before.
Sean, I think your article was targeted well and don't share the view put forward by simonmann. I had used that feature from time to time previously, but had not yet noticed it was missing with the updated Explorer (I would have eventually). I appreciated the info and am glad to hear it's coming back. Thank you!

My personal biggest gripe on a feature that's missing with Windows 11 (admittedly off topic, but it's one of my very few strong negatives with 11, which I mostly prefer to prior Windows versions): no Jump Lists for items pinned to Start. Yeah, we can use them on the Taskbar, but with about 80 frequently used apps, organized in Start folders, from the total of about 200, there are a lot more pinned to Start than I could fit on the Taskbar.

That is a constant source of extreme frustration for me, even a couple years into Windows 11 lifecycle. Ironically, there are Jump Lists for items in Start that are not pinned. That's absurd, because obviously, you pin the ones you want to access quickly, which therefore would be the ones most in need of Jump Lists (for fast access to files associated with those apps). My clumsy work-around has been to also pin some of those documents to Start, but that doesn't give me the most recent list for every frequently used app, just the few I need all the time. I hope MS brings back Jump Lists to pinned Start items in an upcoming update.

Reactions: JediTWang

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Thank goodness! I use this ALL the time in previous Windows versions, and was baffled how they removed that functionality, especially when it's now more visually spaced out to easier drag and drop it. Glad to see they added it back instead of waiting for them to re-invent the wheel again.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have moved files like this on my home PC often (Windows 10) and I guess I hadn't tried it on my Win 11 work PC, so I wasn't even aware they removed this function. Hell, I discovered it long ago just by doing it myself because that process simply made sense - and it worked. I'm flabbergasted that this basic function was removed. LOL I'm hoping it was just overlooked by the dev team and now are adding it back because they didn't realize it was missing. (yeah yeah.. I know.. I can at least TRY and give them the benefit of the doubt.) :)

Sean Endicott

Staff member
Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I've never used or never heard of the feature. Am I in the minority?
I think that's the norm. A lot of people assume others are power users or enthusiast. While there are people who used this feature and are happy to see it return, I bet if you polled a group of everyday PC users they wouldn't know about it.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit