Apple's 'reasons' for selling laptops with 8GB RAM proves why you should just buy a Windows laptop instead

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
It's time for my work Surface Pro 7 to be replaced and my boss was going to get me a Surface Pro 10 for Business, assuming that Intel was the safe bet for the time being. The upcoming consumer Surface Pro 10 with the Snapdragon X Elite is looking like it might be a better option though. We're software developers and the figures we've seen so far suggest that Visual Studio compile times are close to half what they are on an Intel Core Ultra. I'm not sure that the real-world difference will be so great but it certainly suggests that we won't be losing anything by going ARM and will probably gain something.

Reactions: nop

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
The average user doesn't need 16GB RAM. A friend has an M1 MacBook Air with 8GB RAM and regularly has 40+ Chrome tabs open. It runs fine.

On the other end I do question what techie people think the average person does with their laptop? Nothing that intensive.

In terms of the "do you even need tp spend a grand on a Mac?" You've never needed to, people want to.

Reactions: naddy69

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
BTW, the 8GB Air is the low end Mac laptop. It will run just fine for most users. In fact, it will run better - and way cooler/quieter - than any 8GB Windows laptop with antique Intel CPUs and fans running constantly.

And just how much do you think Windows laptops with Arm CPUs, great performance, long battery life and no fans are going to be selling for? Arm is such a huge upgrade over Intel that people will be willing to spend more.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross