Developer Preview Program - Please read first post before asking questions

stitch19

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Developer Preview Program - What Exactly Is It?

I have been told that this "trick" thgat allows a simple user download developer preview updates only works for USA and UK residents by a friend who is a developer. Is this true? Anyway to bypass it?

viralgajera

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Developer Preview Program - What Exactly It is??

So after installing developer preview, when the final built is released, can i download and install that too or only can download next developer preview?

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

I have been told that this "trick" thgat allows a simple user download developer preview updates only works for USA and UK residents by a friend who is a developer. Is this true? Anyway to bypass it?

Your friend would be wrong. Works in australia. Logged in with the same account on 3 devices now. Works fine.

So after installing developer preview, when the final built is released, can i download and install that too or only can download next developer preview?

Yep, when the final build comes out via your carrier/nokia, it'll come to you as well and update you from the preview, to the full one (which is probably the same tbh)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

According to Nokia, not so. Link: https://twitter.com/computercurtis/status/451798490608594944 (for some reason they replied to this tweet rather than the actual question I asked, but the answer is the same).
I'd rely on actual experience over some low-level customer service type answering questions on twitter. The people that companies put on the twitter desk are notoriously incorrect when it comes to questions like this. I really did get my 928 replaced under warranty, while it was running GDR3 from the preview. The problem it was replaced for was phantom "touches" on the screen.

As was stated above, this is incorrect. The Preview for Developers (which isn't a "trick", BTW) is open to all.

Not exactly. When the carrier releases it to their customers, they are releasing the build that you are already running. It will not update the OS because it is the same build. It will add whatever other updates there are (Nokia Black/Cyan, for instance, as well as carrier updates), but it won't change the operating system. What will happen is that everyone else's phones will catch up to yours. Then they'll all be on the same build again. Next time around, with the next update, you can choose whether to go with the preview again, or wait until the carriers push it out.

Last edited:

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I received the email after signing up for the app studio, but when i click on the link to install the certificate i get "would you like to add the company account for Ms?" I select add and nothing happens. Tap to open brings me back to the "would you like..." prompt. Any suggestions?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

I received the email after signing up for the app studio, but when i click on the link to install the certificate i get "would you like to add the company account for Ms?" I select add and nothing happens. Tap to open brings me back to the "would you like..." prompt. Any suggestions?

I think that's what happened with mine, and I went and downloaded the preview for developers app anyways and got right in. I just thought it was a glitch

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I think that's what happened with mine, and I went and downloaded the preview for developers app anyways and got right in. I just thought it was a glitch

I was able to get it to work by uninstalling the app and then installing it again. So now we wait...

Last edited:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Getting nostalgic... The first dev preview I was a part of:

DSCF0868.jpg

Oh, Mango days.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Getting nostalgic... The first dev preview I was a part of:

Oh, Mango days.
Ahhh.. Mango. Remember how we had to sign the NDA, and a day or two later they retracted and said we could share? Windows Phone Dev Podcast (now Windows Developer Show) did an episode called NDAs of our lives.

And now those guys both work for Microsoft.... LOL!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I am really, really disappointed. According to some Devs who have been playing with the emulator, it seems that Cortana is US only for now (which I expected and understand). However, it seems that for all other regions, while Cortana is disabled, it disables "Quiet hours" too. I don't understand why I living in India cannot have the ability to only allow certain calls to come through when asleep etc.

Also, unlike WP 8.0, where you could keep a different Phone region and a different "Search and browser" region, which affected Bing, on 8.1, there's only one master region you can set. So either I change my region to India and lose a host of functions including Cortana, Quiet hours, Bing music search or I change my region to US and screw everything else up, including the News app, Store currency etc. Kill me.

Akash Chandra

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I am really, really disappointed. According to some Devs who have been playing with the emulator, it seems that Cortana is US only for now (which I expected and understand). However, it seems that for all other regions, while Cortana is disabled, it disables "Quiet hours" too. I don't understand why I living in India cannot have the ability to only allow certain calls to come through when asleep etc.

Also, unlike WP 8.0, where you could keep a different Phone region and a different "Search and browser" region, which affected Bing, on 8.1, there's only one master region you can set. So either I change my region to India and lose a host of functions including Cortana, Quiet hours, Bing music search or I change my region to US and screw everything else up, including the News app, Store currency etc. Kill me.
bing news lets you change your country.. also you can use regional news media app.. n coming to store who cares!! nothing changes if you change the region except currency.. compared to cortana it wont even stand a chance

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

bing news lets you change your country.. also you can use regional news media app.. n coming to store who cares!! nothing changes if you change the region except currency.. compared to cortana it wont even stand a chance

I see now that you can change your region in Bing news. Thanks.

It would certainly cause issues purchasing apps in the store because if the currency.

However, that is not my point. I am not even that excited about Cortana. I just want Quiet hours and don't understand why it is disabled for other countries.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Who told you that we cant getcortana by setting our search and browser language to US English?

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

As a relief to everyone, a video has been up on youtube since a day or two, which demonstrated that changing regions can get cortana working. That's a great thing, and by my eye, that video seemed 100% genuine.
Another thing is that changing region isn't a bad deal, I've set my region to usa since 3 months (I'm in India) because it offers me a much better store and search experience. (all

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Ahhh.. Mango. Remember how we had to sign the NDA, and a day or two later they retracted and said we could share? Windows Phone Dev Podcast (now Windows Developer Show) did an episode called NDAs of our lives.

And now those guys both work for Microsoft.... LOL!

there's a question you left unanswered perhaps, though the answer might seem obvious to some.
Would the nokia settings (like storage check etc) stay installed if we take the dev preview ?
I presume the answer is yes, but do confirm !
Thanks !

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Yes. You're not going to delete or reset anything. The update will respect your settings just as a normal update does. Remember, it is the same build, coming over the same update method. It's just looking at an additional server for updates.
:smile:

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Yes. You're not going to delete or reset anything. The update will respect your settings just as a normal update does. Remember, it is the same build, coming over the same update method. It's just looking at an additional server for updates.
:smile:
Oh great ! I know that it comes similarly to the normal update, i was just wondering whether the lack of any new firmware would mean the old nokia stuff goes too. I think it's closed then. :smile:
And any chances that the old nokia firmware (which is installed since the black update) has some incompatible stuff with regards to 8.1 ? (haven't heard anyone mention it, but it does strike me that backward compatibility might be lost on some things)

AndersBrohus

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

I just enrolled into the Developer Preview Program, it's gonna be so awesome to get WP 8.1, glad i saw this thread!

My Lumia 920 is updating to a new update, i guess it must be a newer version of GDR3, then the one that came with the Nokia Black update :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I just enrolled into the Developer Preview Program, it's gonna be so awesome to get WP 8.1, glad i saw this thread!

My Lumia 920 is updating to a new update, i guess it must be a newer version of GDR3, then the one that came with the Nokia Black update :)

Remind me to sign up for it when I get home as well! Can't wait for 8.1 goodness!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes