Disappointing

urville

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Another mid range phone from Verizon while everyone else gets high end phones... What gives?!

verizonwinphone.jpg

Attachments

• NApEb.jpg
    NApEb.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 287

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't make sense for Verizon to only offer midrange and low end phones (besides the 8x). A high end device has been rumored for a while and we may see something at MWC. Besides WPC said themselves that their sources put the Samsung Ativ O as a low end device a long time ago. I understand we had other sources saying it would be an Ativ S like device, but does WPC usually allow its editors to speak on anything unless they have some credit to stand on?

urville

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, there was a big discussion on the V forums that some thought the Odyssey was actually going to be the high end ATIV phone, but... as we all know from the confirmation thats not so. I dont think the 8X is a high end phone, its the same dual core phone, comparable memory and screen.... No removable battery. Does the 8X allow user added disk? I held it, didnt like it much and after the Trophies terrible registry issue with bluetooth audio I have sworn off of HTC's... plus my wife has an HTC android and its a constant pain as well.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I cant believe I actually waited for this phone until december when I said I had enough and got me a 8x. Never looked back since then

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is a high-end device, if for nothing than its hi-def screen and cameras. I think everyone jumped the gun when they saw a Samsung on Verizon's roster and assumed it was the Ativ S. However, part of the blame should go to Samsung, who gave a ten second announcement of the Ativ S and never even mentioned this Odyssey.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am not even pretending to understand what Samsung is doing. I truly believe after owning the Focus S that Sammy has a place at the WP table. The ATIV S is a great looking phone that adds the largest screen available to expandable memory. Put it on Verizon along side the HTC 8X and the 822, you have a killer line up. But this Odyssey adds very little, and is not an option when compared to the 822, unless you need a small screen.

I have nothing against the Odyssey, its just that it doesn't add anything to Big Reds line up.

urville

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I rather think looking at Androids, these phone are mid level at best... and I dont see anything that stellar screen wise between the three of them. no real stand out.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I rather think looking at Androids, these phone are mid level at best... and I dont see anything that stellar screen wise between the three of them. no real stand out.
Why? Because they don't have 74 cores? 12 GB of ram? Or because despite having less horsepower, Windows Phones run smoother than Android?

Pssssst...here's a clue: Androids have high end specs because they need them.

urville

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
True they do run smoother. Have you used a quad core WP next to one of the Duals? I have. Just because WP still doesnt serve up real multi-tasking doesnt mean the difference in hardware power is un-noticeable. Especially once you start using that space and installing things, tiles, background running apps, etc.

And anyway, we dont know what the next 2 years will bring, so having it there in case it becomes relevant (or frankly for any reason as a consumer we want) like you get at other companies should be our choice. *shrug*

it's not for nothing.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
True they do run smoother. Have you used a quad core WP next to one of the Duals?.

So, you've used a quad core WP?And you think that ran "smoother" due to the two extra cores?

Any more malarkey you want to serve up, or are you done ruining your credibility?

urville

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually no, son of a *****, I thought the Snapdragon S4 that was in that phone was the pro. But they were both in use and loaded with apps and whatnot and It was better though all around even not just smoother and i didnt feel like it was butt dyno and it is a better phone. I mean come on beyond that.. lower res, smaller screen, less storage, no slot, cant pull the battery, etc.

I want the experience i had comparing those two phones which its still not for nothing. good for you though you definitley proved something.. i think. I mean, if being a c**k is important to you, you did a great job.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
People keep missing the point here. Wp8 just came out. Patience is a virtue, and I'm pretty sure I've heard that the Lumia 920 is coming out for all carriers.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually no... #??&?%?.

lol, okay, we might both have overreacted somewhat.

You think you understand the technology you are evaluating, but clearly you do not. You're basically taking "lessons learned" in the Android world and applying them to WP. It doesn't work that way. Additional CPU cores on WP8 contribute nothing to UI fluidity (ignoring programming errors). On Android they do. The same applies to all the other issues you mentioned (installing things, tiles, background running apps)... none of them are problematic in the way they are on Android. It's FUD. I reacted strongly because I saw too much of it.

You criticised WP's lack of real multitasking, but that isn't an oversight. It is precisely because of WP's restricted multitasking that all the issues you mentioned are irrelevant. Restricting multitasking was a deliberate design decision, made by both Apple and Microsoft, so people wouldn't have to worry about those issues (and a few others you didn't yet mention). If that's not the type of device you are looking for, Android is your better bet. The same is true if you have an urge for big numbers on your devices spec sheet. You won't find a quad core WP device at this time.

WP attempts to define high-end in terms of simplicity and usability (although IMHO at this stage WP8 isn't quite ready for primetime), not just in terms of numbers on a spec sheet.

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Currently there is no "High End Windows Phone" The 8X, Lumia 920, Lumia 820, Lumia 822, ATIV Odyssey, and the ATIV S all run on the same processor. For example people think that the Lumia 920 is better than my 822 because it is more well known. The reality is that the only difference between the two phones is that the Lumia 920 has a little bit better screen quality, a little bit better camera, and more initial memory. The 822 on the other hand has a removable battery and expandable memory. I chose the 822 over the 920 because of the fact that I like to be able to open it up and gladly sacrificed the few upgrades of the 920. I also bought a 64gb class 10 micro sd card and it expanded my memory to 80 gigabytes which is ridiculous and blows away the 920. Another example is the Lumia 822 vs. the ATIV Odyssey being the only difference that the ATIV Odyssey has a better battery however the Lumia 822 has better support, apps, and camera. There is no such thing as a "High End Windows Phone 8" They are all pretty much the same phone with extras added on. The phone you get depends on what extras you like more.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism