A strange answer from Samsung regarding 8.1

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
As we all know 8.1 is here and it's looking like those of us on Sprint are gonna get the shaft again!
Microsoft says ask the carrier
Sprint says ask Samsung
and Samsung says....

Dear GH,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Telecommunications America.

After reviewing your email, we understand that you want to know the information regarding the availability of updates for your Samsung ATIV S Neo phone(SPH-I800).

We understand your requirement for the updates.

We have checked the information and would like to inform you that the device currently operates on Windows Phone 8 operating system, version 2216.14.01.2 and as of now there are no further updates. We are unable to speculate when/if a Software revision might be available due to the fact that it might lead to confusion. However, if there are any updates available you will be notified by the carrier or the information will be posted on Samsung website. Access the web-link below wherein you will have information regarding the updates available for the device and if there are any updates available, the information will be updated in the link.

Yep it's not looking good.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That's a stock 1st line support answer from an overseas call/query handling centre that doesn't know where to find the info you've asked for.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried again and pointed out the WP versions and also informed them the phone wasn't even in the drop down list.

Dear GH

After reviewing your email, we understand that you want to know the information regarding the availability of the updates for your Samsung Ativ S Neo phone(SPH-I800).

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank your for bringing to our attention regarding the phone model number missing in the drop down list.

We would like to inform you that Samsung releases the updates in co-ordination with the carrier after thorough testing. The carrier specific Apps are also being tested prior sending the updates to the devices.

Currently, the device operates on Windows Phone 8 operating system, version 2216.14.01.2 and as of now there are no further updates. We are unable to speculate when/if the software revision might be available due to the fact that it might lead to confusion. However, if there are any updates available, you will be notified by the carrier or the information will be posted on Samsung website. If any update is available, the information will be posted on the web-link below.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried Samsung one last time. Again I outlined that I wanted the Windows Phone OS update but once again they ignored it and only talked about the firmware. This time they gave a link that does nothing but tell you how to check for updates that we all know aren't there.

Dear GH,

Thank you for your correspondence. We are glad to assist you with the required information.

We have checked the details for you, we see that the current software version on your phone is 2216.14.01.2, it is not upto date, please update the device using below link.

Link : How do I update my Samsung Windows? Phone? : Sprint Cell Phones | Samsung

We are unable to speculate when/if this software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion. Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center or you will be informed by your service provider. Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Samsung always strives towards customer satisfaction. Your satisfaction is utmost important to us.

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah samsung support seems like they have no idea what windows phone 8.1 is, i asked them about the update on twitter and tey replied qith a totally different answer for my question here was my question:

@SamsungMobileUS hi any updates on the windows phone 8.1 update for samsung devices? - 29 Jul

And their answer:

@twindos17 Sorry, we don't have any news to share with you about upcoming devices. Thanks for checking in!

So i sent another tweet but so far no response yet.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It really seems like they have no fluckin clue doesn't it? And yet neither MS nor Sprint has an answer either. It has been reported on Sprint forum that you can take your phone to a Windows store for the update. I'll try it this weekend.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Lol. This was funny...but what they're saying is what the current build is. Some manufacturers dont confirm software updates because its ultimately up to each carrier. For instance, most carriers issued gdr3 for wp8 except for tmobile. Updates are usually constructed of os updates, manufacturer updates, and carrier updates. Its the carrier who decides when your update should be issued. I know its frustrating. :(

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sprint didn't issue GDR3 either, they claim its up to Samsung. Who really knows? There all pointing the boney finger of blame at each other.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Apparently taking your phone to a MS store was a hoax. I called a MS specialty store today and they don't do that. In a way I figured it was to good to be true. Anyway the guy said its probably gonna happen late August to early September.

Last edited:

KEB64

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Yep. They'll only be able to flash it with a ROM they've got. And as the ROM's not available, they can't do it.
So... Would a Microsoft Store be able to flash 8.0? I wonder...

Just in case anybody is wondering, I called my local Microsoft Store. They do not flash phones. They referred me to my service provider. Think Sprint will do it? (rolls eyes)...

Last edited:

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's the latest in the saga...

""Thank you for contacting Samsung Telecommunications America.

After reviewing your e-mail, we understand that you would like to know when Windows 8.1 update will be available for your phone.

We understand your requirement. We would like to inform you that Microsoft should be working on the update on your device. We are sorry to inform you that, we do not have information on the future update releases. We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion. However, once any update available for your phone, it should be notified on our official web site. We will provide you with a link through which you will find more information regarding your device. We would have surely helped you, if there was any information available at our end."

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What they are saying is while you wait we are working on our own operating system but if you cannot wait for that to come out on one of our future phones please check out our current Galaxy branded Android phones

bricky23

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I read in one of the sprint forums, that sprint is not upgrading the neo. Due to lack of interest. And I just bought mine 2 weeks ago.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I read in one of the sprint forums, that sprint is not upgrading the neo. Due to lack of interest. And I just bought mine 2 weeks ago.
Sprint keeps saying the update will come to them from Samsung also Samsung's other Windows Phones on AT&T and Verizon haven't been updated either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3