Advantages of Ativ S over Lumia 920

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So after looking at the spec sheet and size. It's between Samsung and HTC for me. I like what Samsung does with the chassis to make up for the screen size. Choices, choices.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was originally thinking Nokia 920 but I find myself leaning towards the ATIV s lately. I like the brushed aluminum finish as compared to the loud colors. That is fine for some, but not really my style. In addition, with it being the same hardware as the Galaxy SIII, there are likely to be a large amount of after market options for the phone that may not exist for others.

Admittedly, I like the app support that Nokia provides but I imagine I can continue to get along with gmaps instead of Nokia drive. Its still up in the air at this point. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan from Verizon right now so I don't want to switch carriers unless I have to. Hopefully, big red will get some decent phones.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I want the ATIV S 32GB LTE to come too Telus Mobility! But it seems the ATIV S does not have LTE support yet.....Waitting to see if the North America ATIV S model has LTE?

Bigger Display: 4.8"
Bigger Battery: 2300mAh + its removable
microSD card support

If the ATIV S dont get LTE support for North America would be a big let down for most people wanting next gen LTE phone.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I was originally thinking Nokia 920 but I find myself leaning towards the ATIV s lately. I like the brushed aluminum finish as compared to the loud colors. That is fine for some, but not really my style. In addition, with it being the same hardware as the Galaxy SIII, there are likely to be a large amount of after market options for the phone that may not exist for others.

Admittedly, I like the app support that Nokia provides but I imagine I can continue to get along with gmaps instead of Nokia drive. Its still up in the air at this point. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan from Verizon right now so I don't want to switch carriers unless I have to. Hopefully, big red will get some decent phones.

Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive are being made available for ALL Windows Phone 8 devices, which in my opinion, takes away the primary pull Nokia had going for it.

The Ativ-S is thinner and lighter, which for me is a major plus, and other than some of the gimmicky things, nice as they may be, that Nokia has put in, like wireless charging and the super sensitive display, there isn't a real reason to get the 920 over the Ativ. I'm not sure, I haven't entirely made up my mind yet, I'll still have to hold and play with both of them to decide which one I want, but I know for sure that I don't want anything HTC has to offer.

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I love the physical home button and the ability to wake the phone up by pressing it. Wish other non-Samsung window phones could do that.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have had some time to think about this, one thing which has come up is the removable battery. Several have mentioned it above so this is hardly a unique thought.

However, I think it might be important to consider why this is important. One, and the obvious one is so that one can swap out a battery without taking the time to recharge if you are in a hurry or don't have access to a power supply. The second though, is more of a concern for me, which is the ability to easily do a soft reset. Let's face it, all of our phones lock up from time to time and this causes problems. In a phone which does not have a removable battery, you are stuck waiting for the phone to sort itself out rather than having a method of a quick soft reset, removing the batter and rebooting the device.

I hate, hate, hate waiting for a phone, computer, etc. to sort itself out so after a minute or so of sitting there waiting, will almost always go to the soft reset of battery removal.

Any device that does not have this option had better have another way to perform one easily.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Now that I have had some time to think about this, one thing which has come up is the removable battery. Several have mentioned it above so this is hardly a unique thought.

However, I think it might be important to consider why this is important. One, and the obvious one is so that one can swap out a battery without taking the time to recharge if you are in a hurry or don't have access to a power supply. The second though, is more of a concern for me, which is the ability to easily do a soft reset. Let's face it, all of our phones lock up from time to time and this causes problems. In a phone which does not have a removable battery, you are stuck waiting for the phone to sort itself out rather than having a method of a quick soft reset, removing the batter and rebooting the device.

I hate, hate, hate waiting for a phone, computer, etc. to sort itself out so after a minute or so of sitting there waiting, will almost always go to the soft reset of battery removal.

Any device that does not have this option had better have another way to perform one easily.
They do. Press and hold the power button on a L900 for more than 10 seconds and it will cold boot, unfreezing your phone. Not sure what happens when you hold the button, maybe discharging a capacitor or something. So no worries for battery pull options. My bigger concern is the life expectancy of a non-removable. Gonna take some time to find that out.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
They are not that hard to exchange. I have disassembled a 800 completely to dry it out after a water incident and assembled it successfully afterwards. I would say a batterychange can be done in 10 minutes. Sure, warranty is void, but it will be anyway by the time the original battery goes dead.

One thing that hit me while disassembling the phone was that there is one big advantage of non-removable batteries. They are not connected by contacts that can fail over time causing sudden reboot when placing the phone on a table. Something I have seen a lot over the years. No, the battery is attached to the mainboard with an actual cable that will not disconnect by accident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Now that the initial dust has settled and the passions have calmed, let's talk calmly and objectively about the competing WP8 flagships. The Lumia 920 has gotten a lot of hype for bringing some new features (OIS, glove-friendly touchscreen, etc) to the table. But that doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone, and I also believe that Samsung isn't exactly bringing a knife to a gunfight. What are solid reasons for choosing the Ativ S over the 920?

The ones I thought of are:

bigger screen
lighter weight (about 2/3s the weight, i think)
expandable memory

Others?
This is why I may get the Samsung Ativ S, even if I know they didnt put much effort into this phone as like Nokia or HTC did. But I cant use a phone without removable battery and expandable storage. I'm not a fan of big screens but I just want a HD resolution on my phone. Right now I'm still using the original Samsung Focus.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I really like that ATIVs the screen size for one. Being on T-MO it's has not been officially said that it's going there. T-MO is starting to look very bleak to me as a carrier.

Neofire

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I love the physical home button and the ability to wake the phone up by pressing it. Wish other non-Samsung window phones could do that.

This is such a good feature that doesnt get much notice, I mean its small but it feels more natural to wake the phone from the home button instead of uising the power button. I loved that on my focus flash.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
N
The ones I thought of are:

bigger screen
lighter weight (about 2/3s the weight, i think)
expandable memory

Others?

Yes. All that plus replaceable battery.
And also although some says boring looks, I say good looking
profesional phone. Can't say that for the lumia and htcs.

I have used samsung before.. and currently using HTC. I like them
both in term of quality. Solid built. I actualy don't like the plasticky feel of nokia.

Too bad the ATIV seems to be lost in all the hype of 920 and 8X.
Also too bad samsung doesn't seem to eager to promote this phone like Nokia.

I just have one reservation for buying the ATIV S, hope you guys can help.
I heard bad stories for samsung not updating their phone. Is this true?
(I know it's true in android world, but what about Samsung's windows phone?)
Can owners of samsung phone share your experience with updating (especially samsung unlocked phone)?

Thanks

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
3) Samsung is really working on a nice ecosystem themselves. If they bring over the GS3 support and exclusives to the ATIV, we have a fun little device.

I'm curious to get your take on what you mean by this. I hear that term thrown around quite a bit. What features in particular do you feel that Samsung is working on which would be advantageous for potential ATIV owners?

Not trying to argue, I am genuinely curious.

Peace,

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I just have one reservation for buying the ATIV S, hope you guys can help.
I heard bad stories for samsung not updating their phone. Is this true?
(I know it's true in android world, but what about Samsung's windows phone?)
Can owners of samsung phone share your experience with updating (especially samsung unlocked phone)?

Thanks

I have heard similar things. However, it is my understanding that we will be able to update directly from Microsoft and not have to wait on the OEM or the Carrier since Windows, unlike Android, does not have an OEM user interface over top of the software.

Perhaps someone else can confirm my thoughts or provide better info.

Peace,

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the thin-and-light is a big deal for me because I wear suits and wool slacks most days (for work) and the thickness and heaviness of my HTC 7 Pro (Arrive) is constantly annoying. I don't mind a thicker and heavier phone when wearing blue jeans. It's not like the phone is heavy enough to even really feel in blue jeans. But a thicker-and-heavier phone visibly disrupts the way that suit fabric drapes and hangs, so if you carry your phone in your pants pocket and you regularly wear a suit or "dress casual" attire, the Samsung's thinner-and-lighter approach has some real appeal.

Im not going to get one as I don't have to wear suits, but I feel you have hit the nail on the head there, if I was a suit wearer, Id end up with a Sammy as weight and thickness suddenly become very important then..

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
To me there are many advantages for the ativ s over the other previously announced windows phone 8 devices.
  1. Its the biggest screen for any windows phone 8 device we have seen so far. It will also be FAR more comfortable to hold than most of the other wp8 devices. ever hold a galaxy S3 before? Yep it is surprisingly manageable even at the 4.8 in screen size.
  2. Micro-SD WITHOUT COMPROMISE. Devices announced so far with micro-SD have either had one or more feature missing that people really want. An Example is the Non HD screen on the 820 along with no FFC or NFC on the 8S. Samsung has finally got it right. Make a high end windows phone 8 device and also keep a built in micro-sd slot. It is truely no compromise. People can finally put "literally" their whole lives on their smartphone. Ridiculously Absurd amounts of music, movies, games, and apps on one device that you carry in your pocket. Now that is what i call a killer selling point! And if they make a 64gb ativ with a micro-sd HDXC slot, there will be no argument about which is better for media consumption. period.
  3. It has a removable back cover. to most consumers this means either 1 of 3 things. 1. You can replace the still ridiculous size 2300 mah battery with an even larger Its has a removable back. This means one of three things one. 2. If the pho aluminum gets really scratched up when your about to sell it just replace it. You will now retain a good resale value even after you first bought it. 3. The CHI inopperability standard is not patented by nokia. So yes. In the future Samsung might certainly sell a wireless charging battery & cover licensed under CHI to compete with nokia.
  4. Lastly. Just look at pictures of the ativ s. It truly stands out from the crowd. Its design is aimed more at being a high end windows 8 tablet, rather than a candy bar smartphone. The home button is unique and truly eye catching with its shine and depth. The device looks very light but still has a sense that it was truly designed to be a premium smartphone to complement the rest of Samsung's ativ lineup announced back at IFA earlier in September.

Taste is objective but mimicking to coincide with a product lineup is truly the highest form of flattering.

Last edited:

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
You probably meant that taste is subjective instead of objective.

For example to me, ATIV S does not give any extra benefit from it's unique features compared to the other flagship models.

Biggest screen? I'm having already trouble reaching items in 4.3" screens when using the device one-handed. This is a trend in smartphones I'm not happy with. Far comfortable than the others? Now that's something that absolutely can't be asserted to anything without accounting personal preferences.

Biggest storage capacity? Completely meaningless to me. I pay 10€ per month for an unlimited data plan with HSPA speeds, I stream all my media from the cloud and appropriate services. With a price of one decent 64 GB SD card I can get 57 GB Skydrive for 3 years.

Replaceable battery? I've had this option in all of my phones before my recent one, but I never owned a spare battery or changed a battery. I own a charging stick for emergencies now, but I haven't had a chance to use that yet.

Appearance? This if anything is subjective with a capital S. To me ATIV S represents the same old, boring design language that has repeated over and over again dominating the smartphone world since 2008. I absolutely loath the appearance of ATIV S.

See how differently people can view features of a device? See how differently people can perceive the appearance?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to get your take on what you mean by this. I hear that term thrown around quite a bit. What features in particular do you feel that Samsung is working on which would be advantageous for potential ATIV owners?

Not trying to argue, I am genuinely curious.

Peace,

I wouldn't mind the feature where the ffc watches your eyes and locks rotation so you can read websites laying on your side in bed, and also temporarily suspends the auto-dim/lock so the screen won't lock if you're looking at it. Pretty cool...

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, the only appeal that the ATIV has to me is the removable microSD card. My current BlackBerry and all those that I had before it, accepted microSD cards and currently, I have only around 4 GB free on my 16GB card.

If I got an 8X, with 16GB of non-expandable storage, it would almost be filled with what I currently have on my card and leave me little room for apps. The 8S has a microSD slot but with only 4GB of storage on the device. If the 8S has the same limitation that BlackBerry does (and I have no idea that they do but it seems a reasonable assumption), apps can only be run from the device storage and not from a microSD card. That would limit me to 4GB of app space. The 920 has 32GB and I can't imagine needing more than that ever but it is still non-expandable. I never expected to fill my 16GB card but I'm closing in on that now.

To be honest, I haven't liked the build quality of the Samsung Android phones but being stuck with Verizon, I haven't played with their WP7 devices. The size is a concern for me but I will try to keep an open mind until I have the cornucopia of WP8 devices that Verizon is promising to have on their shelves by year end. Options are a wonderful thing!

Oh, and cloud storage? I have a ton of it. But I don't have an unlimited data cap nor am I always in a place with strong coverage so streaming isn't an option.

Last edited:

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The appeal of the Ativ S is its screen size and phone form factor. HTC and Nokia screwed up by making their phones nearly identical in size and weight as the HTC Titan, but with a smaller screen. The only way I'd go down to a 4.5" or 4.3" screen from my Titan would be if there were some phone size benefit to it. Why get another huge phone with smaller screen? 4.7" is glorious.

The Nokia and HTC both appear to be great phones, but any Titan owner is going to balk, I imagine. 4.3" in a phone the size of the Titan especially is not happening for me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss