The Ativ S's brushed metallic look is really plastic

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I hope people realize that. From reading some posts here I get the feeling that some people think that the Ativ S has a metallic body. I just want to clarify that the Ativ S has a polycarbonate plastic body very similar to the Galaxy S3. It is just that the plastic looks like it is brushed metal.

Having said that, I've used the GS3 and it is a solid phone. There is no reason not to think that when you hold it, the Ativ S will feel like a premium device in your hands.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Sc5IDdFjI&sns=em[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Cv2TPSNRM&sns=em[/YT]

Last edited:

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Before these videos (first videos I've seen of this phone) I never gave the ATIV S much thought. Now I will. The plastic looks pretty crappy, but it wouldn't be my first phone made from craptastic floppy plastic.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
It seems way too flexible to me to provide a solid feel and structure to the back of the phone. I was leaning ATIVs before seeing this, but now I am less sure.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The back of the GS3 does the same thing. It feels flimsy when taken apart. But when it put together it feels really solid. You should definitely try the Ativ S in person before making up your mind.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind if it's plastic or not. My 710 is pretty much all plastic and it doesn't bother me. If you drop a plastic phone or a metal phone, then they will all get scratched, chipped, or dented in some way or another.

Before the HD7 came out, a lot of sites started questioning the build quality because the battery cover was just a thin piece of plastic. I gave that phone a good beating (through daily use, and a number of drops on to hard floors) and it still works fine.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Why not reserve judgment until you can feel it for yourself and then make up your mind. I guess you've alreaady got it in your head that the 920 is too heavy and the zenith or titan III will be way too big!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Samsung makes high quality products. All this "flimsy plastic" talk is personal preference. There are millions upon millions of Samsung GS2 devices still in circulation. Find an owner, and ask them if after 1 year of ownership if they have had defective of fragile experiences. Heck, go find original Galaxy devices from 2 years ago. They are still mostly in great, usable condition.

I am still leaning to a Nokia 920, but that is because of their dedicated WP ecosystem. As far as knowing that the device will be working from day 1 and will withstand day to day abuse, I would put my stamp of approval sight unseen on the ATIV.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The back of the GS3 does the same thing. It feels flimsy when taken apart. But when it put together it feels really solid. You should definitely try the Ativ S in person before making up your mind.
I intend to, I guess its just the manner in which they bend it which makes it seem flimsy and cheap. I am waffling back and forth between this and the 920 and will likely have to wait until I can hold both in my hand to make a final decision.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I intend to, I guess its just the manner in which they bend it which makes it seem flimsy and cheap. I am waffling back and forth between this and the 920 and will likely have to wait until I can hold both in my hand to make a final decision.

You could always look up the Galaxy S3 drop test. Some guy in another thread mentioned that so I looked it up. It hasn't sealed the deal for me, but has put me on alert in the event I get the Ativ S

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You could always look up the Galaxy S3 drop test. Some guy in another thread mentioned that so I looked it up. It hasn't sealed the deal for me, but has put me on alert in the event I get the Ativ S
Thanks. I actually watched it the other day, but I appreciate the heads up.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Samsung makes high quality products. All this "flimsy plastic" talk is personal preference.

I do agree that it's personal preference, but to me the problem is just their focus. Samsung is focused on making the lightest devices possible. 99% of the time, that means that they're using the lightest plastics they can find, which to many, is what causes the materials to feel cheap.

But if that doesn't bother you or if it's your goal to have a super-light phone, then that's great.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Aluminum, Plastic or both?

It use's both Aluminum & Plastic

Aluminum Chassis & Side Buttons
Metallic CMF w/ hairline finish "brushed plastic back"

If thats what they have to do to get 135g so be it, Im happy are you?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Before these videos (first videos I've seen of this phone) I never gave the ATIV S much thought. Now I will. The plastic looks pretty crappy, but it wouldn't be my first phone made from craptastic floppy plastic.

It's Samsung.

Craptastic floppy plastic is what they do. All they care about is weight.

This should surprise no one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss