I've bit the bullet and ordered

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm expecting Amazon UK to ship mine today [was a pre-order with release November 7th], though the product page has just changed now to "despatch within 6-9 weeks". I've spoken to online customer service and they can't guarantee it will ship today but they are hopeful. :dry

Before all the Lumia 920 exclusivity Nokia was getting my money no question, but I feel safer ordering with Amazon over importing. Opted for the ATIV S over an 8X after reading various reviews and because Amazon's generous 60-day return policy around Christmas means I can have a proper play with WP8 sooner rather than later but still have the option to jump to another handset if I'm not happy.

Will post back if the damn thing actually ships today!

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh i was thinking to stay with samsung too but really want to try nokia experience but they are making it so difficult for me, anyway very interested to know if the Ativ S will give a nice wp8 experience! Hope you get it Asap unlike the surface =b

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting - the CS have asked me to wait until Friday before raising alarm bells but to be frank, with no other place having it in stock, I'm not expecting it this week anymore.

I think like other people rationalising the 8X, I wanted all the extra features and exclusive apps of the Lumia 920, but I can live without them or just wait for the apps to reach other OEMs after a few months. Question is now, if it really isn't shipping for another few weeks, do I want to change over to an 8X for my test handset [really wanted the lime/yellow though] :p

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting - the CS have asked me to wait until Friday before raising alarm bells but to be frank, with no other place having it in stock, I'm not expecting it this week anymore.

I think like other people rationalising the 8X, I wanted all the extra features and exclusive apps of the Lumia 920, but I can live without them or just wait for the apps to reach other OEMs after a few months. Question is now, if it really isn't shipping for another few weeks, do I want to change over to an 8X for my test handset [really wanted the lime/yellow though] :p
I was thinking along the same lines as you up until last Friday when the 8X got released. The 920 is too much of a pain to get hold of and the bonuses of the ATIV S huge screen similarity to the GS3 and the removable storage had me sold on the samsung. Then i got to play with an 8X and found myself questioning the samsung. In the end i borrowed a friends GS3 for 30 minutes to get used to the size. Personally i like being able to use the phone completely with one hand which i couldnt do on the GS3 but managed to do on the 8X. The trouble is all 3 of the flagship devices have there own positives and negatives in the end I went for practicality and ive got to admit im happy with my decision.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
At least the ATIV S forum is relatively untouched by Lumia 920 diehards :lol:

I think if the 8X had been available last Friday in the yellow/lime colour there is zero doubt I'd have it in my pocket now. Of course I convinced myself in the meantime that the more 'serious' look of the ATIV S was preferable and now that it's not on the way I'm back to square one.

Did you go for the blue 8X? I might justify a swap on Amazon before the day is out :)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes got the blue on a contract renewal with O2 after playing with the 8x in the shop and getting a good 20 mins use on it i was sold. But as i said its only the practicality of using the phone with one hand that swayed me from the Ativ S otherwise i would still be waiting for its release

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Most websites including Amazon and Clove have pushed back their ATIV S shipping dates to mid-December �� HTC must be loving all these stock issues - I was considering changing to a Lumia 820 for the expandable memory and free wireless charging plate. It was saying "in stock" this morning on CPW but they were gone in a flash.

I just want a WP8 handset, you'd think a sale would be easy to come by!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The whole Ativ range seems to have been pushed back as i had an email from clove saying the Ativ Tab has been pushed back to 10th december. The only reason i can think of is they want the whole range ready to go and then do a massive marketing rush on it

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, shame I don't need the rest of the range and could be talking the phone up in the meantime �� I think I will wait another couple of weeks and see how stock goes on other handsets...my Omnia7 is starting to feel extra laggy after all the hands-on videos I've been watching.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The whole Ativ range seems to have been pushed back as i had an email from clove saying the Ativ Tab has been pushed back to 10th december. The only reason i can think of is they want the whole range ready to go and then do a massive marketing rush on it

Are you buying an ATIV TAB or had just registered interest? I'm curious to see how the range will sell, even with that cheesy ad they've got!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I only showed interest in the tab because i was originally going for the phone as well and wanted them both matching - think i will more than likely just get a surface RT now though. Yeah theres a noticeable difference in performance once you start playing with WP8

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm typing on a Surface now - doesn't match my Samsung Series 7 laptop but does the job ��
Shame I don't have a phone to tether it to out and about yet!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a little bit of gadget envy. Theyve finally got them back in stock for immediate delivery but ive spent the money i had put aside for one. Bet they will all be out of stock by the time i have enough money next week

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
@rOlVAz I was able to hold not a dummy but a real L820 yesterday its a nice phone, i didnt turn it on to see the screen but it felt like a solid piece of kit, and what i like about L820 is that you can change covers to suit your mood and make people think you change your phone alot.

I just wish L820 had a HD display like L920 coz i would've bought one by now!

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Well this is the problem with WP8, all handsets have compromises but honestly I wish stock wasn't the deciding factor :mad:

IF L920 was going unlocked in the UK, I'd bite.
IF anyone had the yellow 8X, I'd bite.
IF CPW had stock of L820 today, I'd bite.
IF Samsung hadn't pushed the ATIV S date back etc etc.

Driving myself demented with all the flip flopping!

Also, each day that goes by is another day I can't recycle my Omnia7 and the price keeps going down...

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just a little bit of gadget envy. Theyve finally got them back in stock for immediate delivery but ive spent the money i had put aside for one. Bet they will all be out of stock by the time i have enough money next week

Fingers crossed for ya, immediate delivery will hopefully be more organised that the pre-order fiasco!

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Well this is the problem with WP8, all handsets have compromises but honestly I wish stock wasn't the deciding factor :mad:

IF L920 was going unlocked in the UK, I'd bite.
IF anyone had the yellow 8X, I'd bite.
IF CPW had stock of L820 today, I'd bite.
IF Samsung hadn't pushed the ATIV S date back etc etc.

Driving myself demented with all the flip flopping!

Also, each day that goes by is another day I can't recycle my Omnia7 and the price keeps going down...
If you decide to get L820 from CPW call up the one in Selfridges Oxford street they are giving out free Nokia Purity by Monster Headsets:

Selfridges launches exclusive Nokia Lumia package and Christmas window | Selfridges.com

Apparently they are selling today, LOL ive been using the word APPARENTLY way too much! I wish all these shops had the absolute truth and didn't contradict each other about the release dates

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm called them earlier and was told the offer was only for pre-orders before today. Confused ain't the word!

First thing this morning the CPW website said there was stock to reserve and collect in the Centre Pont store but it was gone by the time it took to mull over the decision. I'd love if Samsung took this extra time to add some unique apps or wireless charging to the ATIV....

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I've ordered a L920 from Clove but still have my pre-order in place on the ATIV S on Amazon UK - they've emailed and updated the product page today, planning to ship from November 20th. Not sure if it'll change again but if anyone is waiting, it's potentially going to be available next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb