Ativ S on Portico

samanthanp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. newbie from UK. got my Ativ S yesterday and my partner noticed I have something on my ativ that they do not have on their 820.

Allow wifi to run when lock screen on. Further searching I found I had Portico already loaded. This did not come via a download but was already preloaded onto the phone.os system number.

OS version 8.0.10211.204

Did not think it was out in UK yet, but he ho I have it

Samantha

ot73nl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
This is mine first post here, so let me introduce myself: Henk, The Netherlands.

I've got my ATIV S from Amazon yesterday and it also had Portico preinstalled. Great phone, the only con is that auto-brightness lives its own life. Great in the dark room, but terrible on the daylight, when it changes itself (too bright or to dark) every minute or something... Does someone experience that? Wait for a software update or should I exchange the phone? Think, I am spoiled by iPhone, because auto-brightness there is perfect:)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My Ativ S shipped with Portico as well. I leave the auto brightness off and just leave it on medium. I don't think the auto brightness is much better on pre-portico builds from what I've read. I never used it on my HD7 either. Never had an iPhone, but I suppose it works pretty good on my wife's iPad...

Also, WELCOME TO WP!!!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the vibration on mine, because I have to put my phone on a window sill to get signal. If I had it on and I got a call when I wasn't on break, my phone would end up on the concrete floor.

Petlaw99

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my ATIV S from a retail electronics store in Australia (Dick Smith) last weekend 23 Feb. The ROM is 8.0.9903. It doesn't have always on WiFi or hangup reply by text. On all counts I therefore don't have the Portico update. I have had no "Update" notifications as yet. Does anyone else have this ROM version? Any ideas on how I can update?

Petlaw99

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Nice to know I'm not Robinson Crusoe! I rang Samsung Technical Support today. I was answered by an Australian accent which was both pleasant and a surprise. However, I quickly got the impression that he'd never heard of the ATIV S. His response to my question of the Windows 8 update was "I'll have to ask my Manager". After a few minutes he came back with the reply that
"The ATIV S already has Windows Phone 8".
"I know this, but there is an update called Portico"
"Hold on..." (waits)
"There may be an update but I don't know when. Sometimes overseas phones get updates that Australia doesn't get."
So, I am now certain that Samsung have very little commitment to Windows as even their technical staff seem surprised it exists. I am not filled with confidence that I will ever see the Portico update here in Oz!
Cheers

harky111

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have just seen that Optus will be offering the phone from mid march through allphones - this may get some grunt behind the ativ s

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
FWIW I bought my Ativ S in Canada, the Telus SGH-T899M model, and it came with OS version 8.0.10211.204, which I believe is Portico. Also as FYI my firmware version is 2212.12.11.5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99