Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cashcar1979

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I have been looking at this phone for awhile and was torn between the Lumia 920 and this. However I can't find the Ativ S anywhere. While the Nokia is still hard to find but at least I can find it.

Has it been released in the USA yet?

Global Posts
    32,239 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    I have been looking at this phone for awhile and was torn between the Lumia 920 and this. However I can't find the Ativ S anywhere. While the Nokia is still hard to find but at least I can find it.

Has it been released in the USA yet?
    No, it is not available yet. Specs for Verizon

Samsung ATIV S | Windows Phone Central

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Any new news on when it's coming since it missed the December and 2012 dates.

Global Posts
    32,239 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Any new news on when it's coming since it missed the December and 2012 dates.
    CES isn't over yet. Perhaps Samsung might still announce a date.

Global Posts
    1,200 Global Posts
    .....can't resist...I've had mine for two weeks from Rogers in Canada (though I'm using it in the U.S. now!).

You can get ativ s i8750 from negrielectronics but i'm not sure it will work for tmobile 4g. I know the T899 from canada will if you do have tmobile
    Last edited by kherm; 01-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I am att.
    I noticed the "lte" for highest setting. Does this mean it would work with verizon?

I'm tired of waiting. Very close to getting the 920. Unless I hear even a half-legitimate rumor of it coming to AT&T before mid-2013, I'm going to have to go with a 920.

Quote Originally Posted by aimnano View Post
    I'm tired of waiting. Very close to getting the 920. Unless I hear even a half-legitimate rumor of it coming to AT&T before mid-2013, I'm going to have to go with a 920.
    Ditto what you said. I've even gone on the Samsung USA fb page and asked the question. They responded that they don't know. I'll give them an ultimatum pretty soon. It's a shame because I really want a phone with ability to add external memory, and I would also like to be able to remove/replace the battery easily, or even add a high capacity battery.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I got a 920 today for $40. Got tired of waiting.

Got mine in vancouver as I live in Seattle. Definitely worth it. Even though it was Rogers I unlocked it for 20 and it works perfectly on AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by sporty2k View Post
    Got mine in vancouver as I live in Seattle. Definitely worth it. Even though it was Rogers I unlocked it for 20 and it works perfectly on AT&T
    That one doesn't support 4G though, does it? I'm also with AT&T.

I really want the Ativ S, but gah...not even a rumor of a release date. I've been a Samsung / Windows phone loyalist for a while now. Had a Samsung Propel Pro then a Samsung Jack...now a Samsung Focus...all amazing phones, but already being 3 months past contract being up, no rumored release date, and a Nokia 920 staring me in the face - I don't think I'll last much longer.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    That one doesn't support 4G though, does it? I'm also with AT&T.

I really want the Ativ S, but gah...not even a rumor of a release date. I've been a Samsung / Windows phone loyalist for a while now. Had a Samsung Propel Pro then a Samsung Jack...now a Samsung Focus...all amazing phones, but already being 3 months past contract being up, no rumored release date, and a Nokia 920 staring me in the face - I don't think I'll last much longer.
    I too gave up on the Ativ. I had a Focus before and loved it. I wanted the removable battery and the sd card slot but just got tired of waiting and the Lumia has a lot of neat software exclusives.

Does Samsung really care about WP8 I think not or it would have been all over the place right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    Does Samsung really care about WP8 I think not or it would have been all over the place right now.
    Doubt it. Can't believe it hasn't been released in the US yet. Seems odd. Sorta like the ATIV Tab not coming stateside. Link

That move makes me think that the ATIV S will also not be coming either.

Got my 920 today. Stonysilence was right, the Nokia exclusives take this phone over-the-top. Couldn't be happier.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    I'm dumping 920 as soon as I can get my hands on Ativ S or surface or maybe even Lenovo. I'll give up the exclusives for a phone that will make it more than 10 hrs on a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    I'm dumping 920 as soon as I can get my hands on Ativ S or surface or maybe even Lenovo. I'll give up the exclusives for a phone that will make it more than 10 hrs on a charge.
    Mine lasts just fine...perhaps give your battery time to break in or test what apps are battery drains, versus **** & moan
    Alex Kj likes this.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcar1979 View Post
    Mine lasts just fine...perhaps give your battery time to break in or test what apps are battery drains, versus **** & moan
    I've had two phones since launch and this one for over two months. I've researched it all and tried it all and I'm in a good LTE market. I have weather running in background and nothing else to get what I can out of it. If I did utilize any more features it wouldn't make it that long. This phone is a $500 POS and I will be rid of it just as soon as possible. Then you won't have to listen to me **** and moan.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

So far I am unimpressed with the battery life. Yesterday my phone lasted 5 hours under light usage (off the charger at 10am it was shut off dead by 3pm). Today was better, 8 hours before it hit battery saver mode. But 8 hours of light usage just sucks.

Well within my exchange period so I may exchange it.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Just tested it and I am losing 3% in 5 minutes. I went from 15% to 12%. But that could because it was low on battery.

Going to recharge it tonight and do a hard reset and see how it goes again.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Just tested it and I am losing 3% in 5 minutes. I went from 15% to 12%. But that could because it was low on battery.

Going to recharge it tonight and do a hard reset and see how it goes again.
    Perform soft reset on phone. Sounds like you have a program hanging up. I think there are some OS issues causing some of the battery issues and also some apps that are more prone to cause problem. If its that bad, its either a program or signal strength issue. Or possible bad phone. Never know with todays substandard QC with all manufactures.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Perform soft reset on phone. Sounds like you have a program hanging up. I think there are some OS issues causing some of the battery issues and also some apps that are more prone to cause problem. If its that bad, its either a program or signal strength issue. Or possible bad phone. Never know with todays substandard QC with all manufactures.
    I have terrible 4G signal at my house. 1 bar max. I had hoped to switch it back to 3g which is stronger but not much (2-3 bars). Funny thing is there is a tower about 500yds from my house.

Battery life is getting better every day, but I am still losing about 30% an hour while playing games like wordament. I think that is a bit high but am not sure.

Will give it a few more days of charging and then will start messing with things. It's getting better every day.

I was worried about the battery life too, but today it's proved to hold VERY well. I got up from a nap around 4 and now it's 10:39 PM...so ~6 hours...few youtube videos, some web browsing, updated/installed 12 apps, 3-4 phone calls, 20'ish texts, took a couple of 30 second videos of my daughter, a couple of pictures....and I'm still at 80% battery. (says 2 days 17 hours remaining but i'm sure that's inaccurate)

update: 1:40 AM ~ 72% battery remaining with additional texting and moderate web browsing. (says 1 days 23 hours remaining, but once when i looked at it earlier it only said 17 hours...not sure the reason for the inaccuracy, but i think it will become more accurate with time)

That's VERY good...even compared to my old Samsung Focus - which I thought had one of the best battery lives of any phone I've ever used. Props on the 920's battery life.

P.S. I read an HTC 8x vs Lumia 920 review walking into the AT&T store yesterday that said the 920 won on battery life...which was my final deciding factor on going with it.
    Last edited by aimnano; 01-13-2013 at 01:42 AM.