Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Alright, well: Carriers to blame for Samsung's weak start with Windows Phone 8? | Windows Phone Central

I say, we just wait until Lenovo, ASUS, and LG release their phones on WP8 here. Sony should really get their act together. Microsoft Surface phone. And yea, sooner or later, carriers might buck up and release the ATIV S way-y late in the US. Maybe they'll release like a ATIV Odyssey equivalent to the rest of the carriers. Better specs.

I'd jump at a Sony WP8.5 to be honest..

Hi all. I just received my ATIV S from Negri (took 2 days - no issues) and I have an AT&T Micro-SIM, however now I am stuck trying to activate it on AT&T. I had no problem before with other phones from Negri but AT&T claims the Ativ S (Samsung I8750) phone does not exist in their database so they cannot activate it on their network. I would appreciate anyone giving me an idea of how to proceed!

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by winutils View Post
    Hi all. I just received my ATIV S from Negri (took 2 days - no issues) and I have an AT&T Micro-SIM, however now I am stuck trying to activate it on AT&T. I had no problem before with other phones from Negri but AT&T claims the Ativ S (Samsung I8750) phone does not exist in their database so they cannot activate it on their network. I would appreciate anyone giving me an idea of how to proceed!
    Start a new thread, instead of hijacking this one.
    To the OP: I'm planning to buy a L920 with my income tax return. Once I have it I may sell my Ativ S. It is in straight-up mint condition. I've had it in an incipio shell and a screen protector since it was unboxed. The case is in rough shape, but the phone is immaculate. (kinda the point of a case, right? It is the Bell Mobility (Canada) 16GB version. Shipped with Portico and no phone-specific issues since day one, apart from unusual battery drain. (2 separate instances in 2 months of ownership; still might not be phone-specific) I just always wanted the Nokia. I have a Verbatim 16GB SD Card which I will format and ship with the phone. If I do decide to sell it I will unlock it at my own expense and will be looking for $500 firm +shipping. PM me if you're interested.

You have good reason to desire this phone. Great battery life, great performance, great form factor, (I'm only 5'9" and I have no issues using it one-handed with either hand) and best of all it doesn't seem to suffer from the QC issues that have plagued some HTC and Nokia devices. The camera is exceedingly underrated as well. I have a couple friends with 920s who are genuinely impressed with the quality low-light shots I've gotten with it, without playing with the settings. I've never even OPENED the camera settings. Literally. It really is a fantastic device that's just overshadowed by the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by winutils View Post
    Last edited by freestaterocker; 02-08-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    Well, for starters, the Ativ S takes a regular SIM, not a Micro. That could pose an issue...
    Which ATIV S do you have? since they are supposed to have micro SIM not the regular SIM. At least mine has the micro SIM and so does my friends ATIV S
    I was pretty sure it was a regular SIM...

Edit: Ok I just physically checked, and it is, in fact, a micro SIM. I retract my previous statement.

Good to know that I won't need a new SIM when I get my L920.
    Last edited by freestaterocker; 02-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.

When all of you say the device is unlocked do you mean subsidy (carrier) unlocked or is the device developer/interop unlocked? I'm looking for a device that is unlocked all the way like what the folks over at XDA have done with Windows Phone 7.x on devices like the HTC Titan I (Eternity). Thank you!
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Just some food for thought. Have you guys thought about the Ativ S may be a suspect for actually being one of the two WP8 devices heading to Sprint (perhaps a global version of it, and perhaps having the 32GB version)? I know it may sound like a long shot, but Sprint made it sure nearly all mid and high end devices from this year and after will be global devices (CDMA 2000/GSM)
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Samsun had not denied or comfirmed if the Ativ S is coming to the US market, which leaves a big uncertainty about it, unlike HTC confirming the 8S is not coming to US carrier anytime soon.
  11.    #36  
    I would never go back to Sprint. Awful service.
  12.    #37  
    I gave up on the ATIV S. I went on and got a Galaxy Note 2. I would've loved to stayed Windows Phone (as I'm a Microsoft guy), but none of the devices had me interested.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Samdung

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDownDirtySkynyrdFan View Post
    I gave up on the ATIV S. I went on and got a Galaxy Note 2. I would've loved to stayed Windows Phone (as I'm a Microsoft guy), but none of the devices had me interested.
    You couldn't have been that much of a Microsoft guy to begin with if you wouldn't get an unlocked Ativ on line.

Just sayin'...
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    hmm...

expandable memory... removable battery... physical home button...

a phone that isn't odd shaped and brags about photos...not all of us are looking to go around taking pictures of everything
    And hopefully better battery life. God the Lumia battery sucks hard.
    Dan TheMan86 likes this.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    You couldn't have been that much of a Microsoft guy to begin with if you wouldn't get an unlocked Ativ on line.

Just sayin'...
    Huge Microsoft guy here, I dont want sub par for way more $$ with an unlocked phone that wont get LTE on my network...

So, they lose another customer.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    expandable memory...
    Will give you that. Can be very useful but means nothing to me thanks to Xbox music pass and unlimited data.

removable battery...
    Perhaps the one thing I miss from my HTC titan. So useful, especially as I drain batteries in no time (I used the HTC battery so heavily once I drained it in 45 minutes flat)

physical home button...
    Subjective. I personally don't care for the physical home button. Actually prefer capacitive buttons myself. But physical button does have its perks also.

a phone that isn't odd shaped and brags about photos...not all of us are looking to go around taking pictures of everything
    And this is where consumer choice is a godsend. I love the look of the Lumia 920, and I do a lot of photography and my biggest photography project involved mobile phones.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

the Negri website shows the Ativ S does have an FM radio. Is that right? The GSM Arena spec page shows it doesn't. I still need an FM radio.

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    Nokia is the only OEM "all in" with WIndows Phone, so who cares about Shamesung & H-ME-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Nokia is the only OEM "all in" with WIndows Phone, so who cares about Shamesung & H-ME-C.
    Because consumers like choice. That's why Android is kicking IOS around the playground in market share. The more WP devices available, the better it is for the future of the OS. I'm camp Nokia too, but I still care about HTC and Samsung and Huawei, as well as any other OEMs that want to hop on board.
    Just. when you have a problem to buy the Samsung ATIV s, 32 GB I may can help you to get one. Just drop me a note - I am in the US

Is there anyone who understands the business world better than I do who can explain decisions like this? As I understand it, Samsung had released products to the US much later than other markets in the past. More recently with the Galaxy S series they changed that policy. Apparently, the Ativ S does not benefit from that policy change.

This is entirely mysterious to me. The phone exists, as does the USA. What are the barriers that I am unable to see?

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTR View Post
    Is there anyone who understands the business world better than I do who can explain decisions like this? As I understand it, Samsung had released products to the US much later than other markets in the past. More recently with the Galaxy S series they changed that policy. Apparently, the Ativ S does not benefit from that policy change.

This is entirely mysterious to me. The phone exists, as does the USA. What are the barriers that I am unable to see?

The fact that Samsung is revealing the Galaxy S4 today tells me all I need to know, they do not care about the US market, because they are about to make a lot of money from the S4.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTR View Post

The SGH-T899M variant is following the naming standards that is normally used for T-Mobile phones and the same phone usually makes its way up to the GSM carriers in Canada-the fact that it uses LTE Band IV (T-Mobile) seems to tell me that it may show up in the future for T-Mobile, depending on how well the HTC and Nokia WP8 handsets sell.
    Just curious, isn't the ativ s going to be called the ativ odyssey in us? Seen a few pics of it and an article about a Verizon release some time soon on a Bing search. Just hoping Sammy shows my bro's to the south some love soon. I currently own an ativ and love it, switched from an HTC 8x, and in my OPINION, the ativ is superior, not far superior though. The battery life, larger screen and expandable memory definitely give it a leg up. Now if only something could be done to fix the Xbox music bug. But that's for a different thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast