The ATIV S will never be released in the USA

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
You couldn't have been that much of a Microsoft guy to begin with if you wouldn't get an unlocked Ativ on line.

Just sayin'...

Huge Microsoft guy here, I dont want sub par for way more $$ with an unlocked phone that wont get LTE on my network...

So, they lose another customer.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
expandable memory...

Will give you that. Can be very useful but means nothing to me thanks to Xbox music pass and unlimited data.

removable battery...

Perhaps the one thing I miss from my HTC titan. So useful, especially as I drain batteries in no time (I used the HTC battery so heavily once I drained it in 45 minutes flat)

physical home button...

Subjective. I personally don't care for the physical home button. Actually prefer capacitive buttons myself. But physical button does have its perks also.

a phone that isn't odd shaped and brags about photos...not all of us are looking to go around taking pictures of everything

And this is where consumer choice is a godsend. I love the look of the Lumia 920, and I do a lot of photography and my biggest photography project involved mobile phones.

hoj1955

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
the Negri website shows the Ativ S does have an FM radio. Is that right? The GSM Arena spec page shows it doesn't. I still need an FM radio.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is the only OEM "all in" with WIndows Phone, so who cares about Shamesung & H-ME-C.

Because consumers like choice. That's why Android is kicking IOS around the playground in market share. The more WP devices available, the better it is for the future of the OS. I'm camp Nokia too, but I still care about HTC and Samsung and Huawei, as well as any other OEMs that want to hop on board.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Is there anyone who understands the business world better than I do who can explain decisions like this? As I understand it, Samsung had released products to the US much later than other markets in the past. More recently with the Galaxy S series they changed that policy. Apparently, the Ativ S does not benefit from that policy change.

This is entirely mysterious to me. The phone exists, as does the USA. What are the barriers that I am unable to see?

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyone who understands the business world better than I do who can explain decisions like this? As I understand it, Samsung had released products to the US much later than other markets in the past. More recently with the Galaxy S series they changed that policy. Apparently, the Ativ S does not benefit from that policy change.

This is entirely mysterious to me. The phone exists, as does the USA. What are the barriers that I am unable to see?

The fact that Samsung is revealing the Galaxy S4 today tells me all I need to know, they do not care about the US market, because they are about to make a lot of money from the S4.

Eric The Fruit Bat

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

The SGH-T899M variant is following the naming standards that is normally used for T-Mobile phones and the same phone usually makes its way up to the GSM carriers in Canada-the fact that it uses LTE Band IV (T-Mobile) seems to tell me that it may show up in the future for T-Mobile, depending on how well the HTC and Nokia WP8 handsets sell.

Trainwreck_0532

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, isn't the ativ s going to be called the ativ odyssey in us? Seen a few pics of it and an article about a Verizon release some time soon on a Bing search. Just hoping Sammy shows my bro's to the south some love soon. I currently own an ativ and love it, switched from an HTC 8x, and in my OPINION, the ativ is superior, not far superior though. The battery life, larger screen and expandable memory definitely give it a leg up. Now if only something could be done to fix the Xbox music bug. But that's for a different thread.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia made a newer version of the 6 month-old 920 (the 928) for Verizon. Sammy could not quite bother... just sending some unsold Ativ stock Sprint's way while Galaxys and Ones and Z10s are coming out. Way to go WP.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The unlocked version lacks a CDMA radio, which will only work on GSM carriers. The rumored version coming to Sprint will have the proper CDMA and 4G LTE radio, and I am hoping they keep the GSM radio with the chance to unlock the SIM slot for international use (Have in mind CDMA carriers are not mandated to unlock devices because there is no clear path to unlock CDMA based global devices in full, plus no GSM carrier will allow you to use a "default to a CDMA network connection in the US" global device.)

texaspinoy

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
You guys talk too much without doing any research. There was a reason why Ativ S will not be released in the US. There is a surprise coming. You all google samsung YOUM and understand what's coming. This will take all cell phones and cell phone OS down to the ground. Enjoy, peace out....

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You guys talk too much without doing any research. There was a reason why Ativ S will not be released in the US. There is a surprise coming. You all google samsung YOUM and understand what's coming. This will take all cell phones and cell phone OS down to the ground. Enjoy, peace out....

:confused: ??? It is already known that the ATIV S will be released this summer in the US via Sprint after already being certified by FCC. Also what does a flexible screen have to do with it?

Eric The Fruit Bat

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile could drop the Canadain SGH-T899M on their network RIGHT NOW if they wanted too-but as of this time T-Mobile US has ZERO new WP8 phones up on their site, save for the soon-to-be released Lumia 520 (which is a Windows Phone garbage scow, not a flagship). Even the HTC 8X is MIA online.

Something tells me that WP8 on T-Mobile will always be a third-class citizen on their network.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster