ATIV S freezing and rebooting with portico. Anyone else?

D

dmdavid

Bought a Bell ATIV S,and the phone came with the portico update already loaded. I'm getting random freezes,maybe once or twice a day. I had one random reboot in the last few days. This sounds exactly like alot of people were experiencing with their lumias and htc 8x. I thought portico was supposed to fix this.

Any other ATIV S owners with this issue ? I know a bunch of lumia 920 and 8x users also still have this problem.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
No issues here. I read some posts where people were blaming it on Skype Preview, but that's one app I've never installed to test the theory out.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
As it just so happens, I had a random power down just today as a matter of fact. Not sure why, just pulled it out of my pocket and.....bupkis. It hasn't happened before or since - I'm hoping it was an isolated incident, but I've only had the phone for a week.

It had portico right out of the box.

Last edited:

shwetz

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I had some reboots and freezings up to 30 seconds caused by Skype.
I think this is not a portico problem this is a problem of Skype.

ldxmsg

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had an Ativ S for 2 weeks and hadn't had any problems but suddenly this morning the phone turned off in the middle of writing an email and now won't start. Each time I try it vibrates once but does nothing, then vibrates and this keeps happening until I pull the battery out. Has anyone had anything similar?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had an Ativ S for 2 weeks and hadn't had any problems but suddenly this morning the phone turned off in the middle of writing an email and now won't start. Each time I try it vibrates once but does nothing, then vibrates and this keeps happening until I pull the battery out. Has anyone had anything similar?
Actually, that's what I had. No rebooting or freezing. But I didn't have to pull the battery either, I just held the button. But it only happened once since I got it.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had two random reboots in the month I've had the phone. No causal link that was immediately determinable, however, I had been using the phone heavily on both occasions - but nothing special.

Roberto Katalinic

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My Ativ S is randomly rebooting. Happens about once or twice a week. Not sure if I have portico though. I am in the UK and purchased an unlocked fone. I am pretty sure it didn't reboot for the first couple of weeks.

Aerendraca

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep, same here, had the Ativ S for about a week and has rebooted maybe 6 times (that I've noticed). I did have skype but uninstalled it yesterday since there were rumors that this was the issue, but sadly the rebooting happened again today just now. As far as I know Portico 8.0.10211.204 is the latest update installed on all new Ativ S phones, but from what I've been reading this was supposed to fix the issue, clearly it has not.

Has anyone contacted their providers or Windows Phone Customer Services (if such a thing should exist)?

Is this only happening on the Samsung Ativ S or are Nokia and HTC still having problems since the 'fix'?

cdn girl

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I have had my Ativ S since just before Christmas, since then I've had the screen go black odd coloured lines go across it and it goes back to the lock screen, even if I'm in the middle of typing. The other day I responded to a text, and 3 minutes later went to check my phone and it had turned its self off. I had to take the battery out to get it to restart and when it came back up a quarter of my battery life had been used and the phone had only been off the charger for about 40 minutes and unused except that one text. It had fully battery life before the shut down. Its appearing to be an OS problem, which I hope because I really love my phone

D

dmdavid

definitely a WP8 problem. I also have a nokia lumia 920,and yesterday, THEY BOTH FROZE AT THE SAME EXACT TIME. This is no coincidence. And the lumia freezes or reboots too. All have the latest portico,and no Skype either.

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some guy in Mountain View got a freeze-all-WP8-devices-now button ;)
Actually I'm thinking of getting an Ativ S in Feb but I'm a little concerned now.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe some guy in Mountain View got a freeze-all-WP8-devices-now button ;)
Actually I'm thinking of getting an Ativ S in Feb but I'm a little concerned now.

I wouldn't be. I've had mine for 3 weeks and only had one incident - yeah, I can live with that.

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Crazy battery life, beautiful screen, nice finish (for a Sammy). It fits quite nicely as a WP8 flagship device.

Aerendraca

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So since I last posted a few days ago I turned off bluetooth and have since had no problems with rebooting. Not sure if this is the problem as it's probably a little bit soon to tell, but it seems to have worked. Maybe someone else can advise if they have had reboot problems while the bluetooth was switched on, or indeed if they have had problems without bluetooth switched on. Also, I did have Skype preview installed and bluetooth running at the same time, uninstalled Skype and still saw reboots, switched off bluetooth and so far no reboots. Since Skype is allegedly deeply seeded into WP8 OS maybe it messes with bluetooth settings, or maybe my phone has just decided it doesn't need to reboot itself for the mean time and this was all a big coincidence.

P.s. I completely agree with Crystal_ Planet, this problem is minor at most and the benefits are huge with this phone! I still recommend this phone to everyone I get the chance.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I also used Bluetooth since day one. No issues. And the battery life IS insanely awesome. Once I figure out how to embed pics in here I'll post a few battery saver screenshots that have to be seen to be believed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3