Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Im thinking about getting a Samsung ATIV S. Before I get one I wondered if there was any problems with the Samsung ATIV S????

Thank You

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    I just read a little of this and got a gist of the issues...which don't seem too bad

ATIV S - 6 weeks later.
    ~Sal

I have had my one for about three weeks a great phone except for one very frustrating problem in that if left for long periods of time such as overnight without use it switches itself off which is a ft lot of use if you rely on the alarm function. It does not do it all the time but on a fairly regular basis. I have heard that this problem also happens in the Galaxy android version of this phone. It is a Samsung problem. There is an app for the android version from AT&T which keeps the phone awake but as yet no windows app to do the same. It is a shame as it is a great phone apart from this.

I have had 0 problems with Ativ. No switching off or anything. Battery superior compared to L920 I had before. I estimate I get 30% more time with the Ativ.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Best WP8 phone on the market imho, if only the camera and the display were a little better. No Problems after 3 weeks so far, glad i sold my 920

Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Min Tisal View Post
    Best WP8 phone on the market imho, if only the camera and the display were a little better. No Problems after 3 weeks so far, glad i sold my 920
    This has been my only gripe about the Ativ S. However it isn't bad enough for me to pass on it. I'm just getting impatient waiting for its release on Sprint. I finally have 4G LTE turned on this week and no ATIV S to play with.
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
    Lumia 928 - Surface Pro 3 i7/8/512

When I play a game the side of the camera is soo hot, and sometimes only using whatsapp or now with BoardExpress is hot too, is normal that?
    Sent from my GT-I8750 using Board Express

The back panel is really thin, and the cpu is near the camera i guess. Occasionally hot when in heavy use but mine does cool off quite quickly so normal stuff

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emyzz View Post
    When I play a game the side of the camera is soo hot, and sometimes only using whatsapp or now with BoardExpress is hot too, is normal that?
    Sent from my GT-I8750 using Board Express
    Yea thats normal, my "old" s3 was even hotter.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Has Samsung been updating the firmware?
    The main issue with the Ativ S can be reboots. These come from blocked apps, faulty mp3 files and sudden loss of signal. I managed to get mine to only reboot when I lose signal abruptly. If you use a microSD, use a Cat4, Cat10 can get you freezes. Yes I unblocked all my background apps and cleaned up my mp3 files.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    The main issue with the Ativ S can be reboots. These come from blocked apps, faulty mp3 files and sudden loss of signal. I managed to get mine to only reboot when I lose signal abruptly. If you use a microSD, use a Cat4, Cat10 can get you freezes. Yes I unblocked all my background apps and cleaned up my mp3 files.
    Yeah, wish I was more aware of the microSD issues before I picked one up....Went with a class 10 32GB Lexar, got a really good price on it but twice now the phone has told me that I've ejected the sd storage when I haven't...ergo all my stored photos are unavailable until I reset.
    C'mon Samsung, fix this.

The phone is expandable upto 64 gb but can you even get a 32+ GB microSD that is only Class 4?

Hello all!
    I got Ativ S test model, and everything is working just fine, except network. It only works with good or full signal and only 3G, GSM is not working at all. Is that because it is test model in question or some software bug? Is there a way to "reflash" it or sth.?

Thnx!

Now my 32 GB Lexar Class 10 card isn't being recognized AT ALL...even after resetting. This sucks. I wouldn't recommend anyone going above a Class 4 card until this is officially fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBot View Post
    Now my 32 GB Lexar Class 10 card isn't being recognized AT ALL...even after resetting. This sucks. I wouldn't recommend anyone going above a Class 4 card until this is officially fixed.
    On the Samsung website they only guarantee the Cat4 cards up to 32Gb. So, fix what?
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    For some reason the 32GB limit is only listed on certain country sites eg. Canada. Others omit the limitation. I have found some screenshots of where they used to put the limit, but checking the actual samsung sites doesn't show it anymore. This reminds me of my HTC EVO3D where it takes the 64GB micro SDXC card but isn't verbatimly stated to be able to do so. It wasn't even stated by support until after one of many updates. I suspect that Blue may bring with it some unannounced benefits to WP8 users.
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
    Lumia 928 - Surface Pro 3 i7/8/512
    Quote Originally Posted by averdadesalvara View Post
    Has Samsung been updating the firmware?
    I have received two firmware updates at least since I bought mine in December.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBot View Post
    There were well-documented issues with lexar class 10 cards on the GS3 as well. From what I've heard from Samsung class 10 cards of all capacities work great, which sounds like a way to tiptoe around open standards and get all back-door proprietary...
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I have a Samsung 32gb class 10 card that has 0 problems. I bought this card when I replaced the memory to my old HTC 7 Pro. For that device it was a PITA to find memory that didnt cause problems as it was the whole internal memory. Then it was discovered that different brand memorys behaved differently, it really wasnt only about class. I think it might be a good idea to to head over to XDA of topics here about changing the internal memory to WP7 devices and what worked there.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Using a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by pillswoj View Post
    Using a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 with no issues.
    Me too, no issues with this card. Using ativ s from telus in canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco5150 View Post
    I have a Samsung 32gb class 10 card that has 0 problems. I bought this card when I replaced the memory to my old HTC 7 Pro. For that device it was a PITA to find memory that didnt cause problems as it was the whole internal memory. Then it was discovered that different brand memorys behaved differently, it really wasnt only about class. I think it might be a good idea to to head over to XDA of topics here about changing the internal memory to WP7 devices and what worked there.
    Well I also have a 32Gb Samsung Cat10, does not work for my Ativ S. It could be that it is marginal, with some cards working, others not. Cat4 is actually faster in random read write operations, but slower when you have larger files.

Documentation included with my ATIV S (Canadian variation) says that my ATIV S is expandable up to 64 GB...It sounds like large capacity 32 GB class-4 cards are available if you look around online, but any local retailer I've looked at has all class-10 once you hit 32 GB. And 64 GB Class 4 microSD card? Good luck with that.
    So yeah...fix that...improve compatibility. Maybe the Samsung Testing Lab guys have a bunch of 64 GB class-4 cards lying around to test with, but I don't know anyone else that does.
    enthuz likes this.

When searching suitable memory to the 7 Pro, I ran speed tests to many cards. Some class 2 cards were faster than class 4 etc. A lot of talk about this can be found at XDA. This specific Samsung card was really solid and good performer in all operations.

My 64GB Sandisk Class 10 works perfect. That said I also completely wiped all partitions on it and then formatted it exFat before putting it in my phone.
    Thanked by:
    neo158 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast