Nokia 920 to Ativ S

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Not too much to report here but that I switched from the 920 to the Ativ S recently. I just found too many issues and variations with the 920 in terms of build quality and was getting a little tired of its weight/size (I know, its perfect for some people, not looking to start a 920 vs Ativ war). My first 920 had major "creaking" issues, my second 920 was solid for a few months then suddenly developed even more creaking issues than the first, soon as I got my 3rd replacement I sold it off.

Anyways, I am very happy with the Ativ S, LOVE the form factor. Its so light and thin and really a outstanding looking phone. There is of course a difference in the screen due to both sets having different technologies but I find the screen on the Ativ S to be sharp, crisp, and overall beautiful. Having been a huge fan of Samsung WP (had the Focus, then Focus S) I am very satisfied with this device.

Also, to be honest at first I thought I would miss the Nokia apps but I haven't really even noticed that I don't have them anymore. Couldn't be happier with the switch.

If anyone cares, I got it through a seller from Canada for $500 new & unlocked and am using it on AT&T here in the US. I travel overseas for business a few times a year so having it unlocked is great.

voluptuary xda

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Can you toggle on internet sharing without being prompted about needing an appropriate tethering data plan on your ATIV S? I am thinking about getting this phone if they don't block tethering, if they do WP7.8 is still a better option for me as I need tethering but I won't pay extra to use my data the way I want.

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
When I turn it on it says "there is no cellular data connection to share right now" even though I'm on 4G/LTE. I guess that means it's a no go with out a sharing plan?

voluptuary xda

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
When I turn it on it says "there is no cellular data connection to share right now" even though I'm on 4G/LTE. I guess that means it's a no go with out a sharing plan?

I think that just means your phone didn't provision your data correctly, did you ever use Samsung's network setup tool?

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How's the battery life compared to the Nokia?

I notice a huge difference. On my 920 I would use it quite a bit throughout the day but would have to charge it at night for sure - with Ativ S I can use it just as much all day and even get use out of it the next day without needing a charge, the battery drain seems to be much slower.

Also, it seems the Ativ S charges much faster than the 920 did, not sure if this is true or it just seems that way.

emyzz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I know that 920's camera is great but, what can you say about Ativ S camera? I m thinking to buy the Samsung or the 8X but maybe the 8X has better camera?

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
ATIV S camera is pretty good! I would say 3 out of 5 I would give it! But not the best either if you put ATIV S vs Lumia 920 the 920 is far superior!

On March 14 the new Galaxy S4 with new 5" 1080p display! With the same size and weight as the Galaxy S3/ATIV S. The future of next generation ATIV S2 should be similar to Galaxy S4 except for the processor, Microsoft hardware will use Quad-Core Snapdragon 800 series where the Galaxy S4 will use Octa-Core Exynos 5.

The ATIV S:
- Bigger display!
- Bigger Battery!
- 64GB microSD support! (Class 10)
- Weight 135g only!
- Preinstalled Portico OS (GDR1)
- If you live in Canada you can get it everywhere!

I have the ATIV S and loving it! 😎

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a Lumia 920 to the Ativ S. The Samsung has less features but also a lot less problems. So I say it is a superior phone, especially battery wise and also because of its larger screen. Like they say... to win a race, you must first finish it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99