Root for Nokia apps?

Bobsteriffic

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Was debating between getting a 925 or an Ativ S for T-Mobile USA, and I really want the Ativ but I need the Nokia exclusive apps. I use them all the time on my current 920.

With my HD7 I rooted it and installed an app which allowed me to sideload another app which let me trick the phone into thinking it was a Nokia, allowing me to download the apps directly from the store. Is it possible to do this with the Ativ S? Help would be greatly appreciated.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Outside of that server glitch mess we saw within the last two weeks, hackers will tell you WP8 is very hard to hack, at the minimum. Remember that WP7 Gen 1 was the best version to hack (HD7, etc)...everything else has been a real pain. It depends on what exclusive apps you use. The 925 isn't a big improvement over the 920. If you can afford to keep it and still get the Ativ, I'd do that.

Bobsteriffic

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Outside of that server glitch mess we saw within the last two weeks, hackers will tell you WP8 is very hard to hack, at the minimum. Remember that WP7 Gen 1 was the best version to hack (HD7, etc)...everything else has been a real pain. It depends on what exclusive apps you use. The 925 isn't a big improvement over the 920. If you can afford to keep it and still get the Ativ, I'd do that.

The main reason I want to upgrade is because of the lack of 4G from T-Mobile in my area. I bought an unlocked AT&T 920 to run on T-Mobile, and I only get Edge about everywhere I go. That's the only reason I want to upgrade to a 925 or Ativ, because they have the correct radios.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The main reason I want to upgrade is because of the lack of 4G from T-Mobile in my area. I bought an unlocked AT&T 920 to run on T-Mobile, and I only get Edge about everywhere I go. That's the only reason I want to upgrade to a 925 or Ativ, because they have the correct radios.

Well, I believe the Rogers version of the 920 has the correct radios as well. That one may be worth looking into. I know of one user here with it who has one. Still, it depends on where you live as well, so I'd look onto it first. I was going to get a AT&T 920, by t of be stuck on EDGE alot because where I am doesn't get the refarmed signal consistently, even though I can get H+ easily on my Galaxy Nexus...

Bobsteriffic

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I believe the Rogers version of the 920 has the correct radios as well. That one may be worth looking into. I know of one user here with it who has one. Still, it depends on where you live as well, so I'd look onto it first. I was going to get a AT&T 920, by t of be stuck on EDGE alot because where I am doesn't get the refarmed signal consistently, even though I can get H+ easily on my Galaxy Nexus...

Interesting. So are you saying that it I went out and dropped like 400-500$ on a Rogers 920, it would have all the radios?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Which frequencies on T-Mobile are required for LTE? To my understanding, the ATIV S can give you LTE in specific areas (850/1700/1900/2100).

Interesting. So are you saying that it I went out and dropped like 400-500$ on a Rogers 920, it would have all the radios?

Well, I believe the frequencies just outlines are the ones on t-mo that give LTE. Depending on the refarmed network on your area, this board is littered with people who get LTE on the AT&T network. I was told that the Rogers 920 offers those bands, but because I have no need for one, I didn't investigate. So, OP, look around first before you drop all that cash. Plus, you still haven't said which Nokia apps you use so much that you'd miss on the Ativ S...

GTF696

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Get the ATIV S - The HERE drive Beta is available in the APP store. Besides Nokia having a better camera, the ATIV S is the best Win8 device currently available.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Uh, are you about to say that your phone can't switch from LTE to 3G where LTE is not broadcasted? The receiver MUST be compatible with 3G and you should get 3G once LTE gets out of reach and get 2.5G (EDGE) and 2G only when 3G is not available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon