GDR2 on Ativ S

mrwinkle13

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Is your ativ s a SGH-T899M or i8750?

Make an hardreset and you see all new feature...

I really appreciate the update... The new radio file is excellent... Download @ 48 mbits on lte... 36 mbits on dc hspa...16 mbits on hspa... Signal is better two...

- Data senseis good for people with limited data :)

- ie and the phone is really faster !

- storage... After reinstalling all my apps i see a difference of 2gb !

- Skype... have use in the past and was not optimal... With one bar of signal i can skype with great experience...

- Battery life... Is really better... With my muggen battery i can get 2 day in heavy use for sure now !

For fmradio you never see this because ativ s don t have the chips on it !

Anirask

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Doing the factory reset did enable Data Sense for me on Telus however I still haven't been able to change the default Camera Lens. Perhaps my lenses aren't able to be the default. I'll have to investigate. I am still missing FM Radio however but I haven't tried plugging in the stock headset that came with the phone (they're at the office).

Microsoft's backup/restore system is better than what they had in WP7 days(none) but the fact that they only re-instate some settings and re-install the apps and don't re-do your home screen automatically nor capture application specific data is a PITA.

You also have to re-enter your wifi password.

ShocWave

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll just ride it out. Don't want to do a reset because of my saved games, and the "other" storage issue doesn't really affect me as I have lots of free space and a 32GB SD card.
I'll probably get a new phone next year anyway.

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I got the update , Rogers ativ s here but I cannot tell it anything is actually different or improved
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express

futurefrankie

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
There was mention of a "DataSense" feature, but I haven't seen any evidence of it anywhere. Can anybody else with the update verify this? I checked in settings, and in my list of apps, but if it exists, it appears to be eluding me.

OTA is the only way to receive updates.

I see so signs of this as well, though performance "seems" a bit snappier, it could be my imagination though.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I see so signs of this as well, though performance "seems" a bit snappier, it could be my imagination though.
There's some sort of glitch when updating, where Data Sense only appears after you've reset your device. I sent a message to Samsung Support, and I strongly recommend all ATIV S users with this problem to do the same.

Anirask

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it's GDR2 or the factory reset I did yesterday but my battery is lasting forever today. I'm 5 hours in my day and the battery is only down to 87%.

Anyone else seeing this?

anon(5914335)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it's GDR2 or the factory reset I did yesterday but my battery is lasting forever today. I'm 5 hours in my day and the battery is only down to 87%.

Anyone else seeing this?

There were mentions of battery improvement in the Samsung GDR2 release information. I've always had good battery life with mine. I'm 6.5 hours into the day and I'm also at 87%.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If it's unbranded and unlocked then you should get the update, I'm also on O2-UK and am installing the update as I type this. If it's branded and locked to a specific network then you'll need to wait for the update to get carrier approval as well.

Vic Viper

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd post this. After the update I checked my other storage and it was still showing as 4.17gb's. I did a reset on the phone and it went down to 1.43, nice eh? Now get this, I installed 2 updates from Samsung (other settings and mini diary) and the other storage has gone down to 1.27gb now.

Very impressed with the update so far, not sure what else is fixed though.

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello all as this is my first post I check this forum everyday on my pc as well as the windows app. I have the Ativ S I8750 unlocked version wondering about the GDR2 update. when will those of us in the usa get this update im on T-Mobile love my phone but it seems you cant get any support from Samsung on this device as I called and the rep told me to call amazon who I purchased it from since its an international device. thanks for any help.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I have unlocked unbranded UK Ativ S and got the update. I looked around and cant notice any changes except touch screen to capture in camera app works on first tap now. Before it tool several taps. In settings you can choose what the camera button launches. In settings you can choose not to use data when limited WiFi. Those are the only three changes I have noticed. Anything else?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have unlocked unbranded UK Ativ S and got the update. I looked around and cant notice any changes except touch screen to capture in camera app works on first tap now. Before it tool several taps. In settings you can choose what the camera button launches. In settings you can choose not to use data when limited WiFi. Those are the only three changes I have noticed. Anything else?

Data Sense is in the update, you have to do a factory reset to get it to show up though due to a bug that prevents it from showing up after the update is installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon