GDR2 on Ativ S

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
>>Keep trying guys, they roll the update out based on IMEI so you will get it eventually ;)

Speaking of IMEI, what exactly is the mechanism of OTA on WP8 devices? Does it mean the machine must prove that it is online, being used, so it could be granted to receive GRD2 update?
I thought it works like Windows Update on ordinary Windows system, devices just simply receive updates when they are available on Windows Update.........

The IMEI determines whether it's an unbranded or carrier locked device and when the update is delivered to your device.

rotkod

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Keep trying guys, they roll the update out based on IMEI so you will get it eventually ;)

Those of you who do have GDR2, have you noticed that the random reboots are gone as well. My ATIV S used to reboot once a day until I got GDR2 :)
When I had wp7.8 then... over zune always had the option to cheat update, removing the LAN cable to 1sec... :crying:
My restarts only when I have a no signal, sometimes...

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The IMEI determines whether it's an unbranded or carrier locked device and when the update is delivered to your device.

So how do I decide if my phone is unbranded or not? I remember I bought my ATIV S at a Samsung retailer, not from carrier.

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a T-899M model purchased from Telus and used on T-Mobile in the US. After the GDR2 update I same very little / no new functionality, so I did a factory reset (using Settings, About, Reset). After the reset Data Sense did show up and I did see a decrease in storage space used. However still no FM Radio, and Internet Sharing still doesn't work (never has for me). Also LTE stopped working for me again until I went back into the hidden Samsung diagnostics app and fiddled with the LTE settings. Finally a bunch of apps I had previously installed were not recoverable from backup as they were "no longer published", including the Samsung ATIV Beam app. So YMMV but for me the hard reset was not worth it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So how do I decide if my phone is unbranded or not? I remember I bought my ATIV S at a Samsung retailer, not from carrier.

That will probably be unbranded then, if it was carrier branded then you may have a carrier splash screen on boot and maybe carrier apps pre-installed.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-899M model purchased from Telus and used on T-Mobile in the US. After the GDR2 update I same very little / no new functionality, so I did a factory reset (using Settings, About, Reset). After the reset Data Sense did show up and I did see a decrease in storage space used. However still no FM Radio, and Internet Sharing still doesn't work (never has for me). Also LTE stopped working for me again until I went back into the hidden Samsung diagnostics app and fiddled with the LTE settings. Finally a bunch of apps I had previously installed were not recoverable from backup as they were "no longer published", including the Samsung ATIV Beam app. So YMMV but for me the hard reset was not worth it.

That's odd, not sure about the other stuff but ATIV Beam should be working, try downloading it on the phone again if you haven't already.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Where did you buy your phone? If in Canada, it may only be "partially" unbranded, meaning that it's unlocked but it's associated with Bell Mobility. If you go to Settings, then go to About, check what it says under "Carrier." If it's blank, then it's unbranded.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Where did you buy your phone? If in Canada, it may only be "partially" unbranded, meaning that it's unlocked but it's associated with Bell Mobility. If you go to Settings, then go to About, check what it says under "Carrier." If it's blank, then it's unbranded.

I bought it at a Samsung retailer in Taiwan, and I don't see any "Carrier" information in About page, so I think it should be an unbranded one.

dubbaYous

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I am curious, I have unlocked ativ still w/o gdr2, I am still on:
bootloader 12.12.20.17
firmware revision number 2424.12.12.3
hardware revision number 15.15.1.0
radio software 2424.12.12.2
radio hardware 0.0.0.800
chip SOC 1.5.32

Since you say it goes according to imei # does anyone who has gdr2 have an imei number beginning w/ 35408405*******
I am curious because I check constantly and have not received update yet. Very frustrating.
I am running on net10 via at&t the phone is still on windows version 8.0.10211.204

Also, does my phone have fm due to radio software and hardware revision numbers ???

Thanks for any help.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am curious, I have unlocked ativ still w/o gdr2, I am still on:
bootloader 12.12.20.17
firmware revision number 2424.12.12.3
hardware revision number 15.15.1.0
radio software 2424.12.12.2
radio hardware 0.0.0.800
chip SOC 1.5.32

Since you say it goes according to imei # does anyone who has gdr2 have an imei number beginning w/ 35408405*******
I am curious because I check constantly and have not received update yet. Very frustrating.
I am running on net10 via at&t the phone is still on windows version 8.0.10211.204

Also, does my phone have fm due to radio software and hardware revision numbers ???

Thanks for any help.

Updates are rolled out in batches so it's hard to know when certain phones will get the updates.

As for FM radio GDR2 is supposed to enable it but there is speculation that the necessary hardware isn't in the phone, however in the Test Mode menu FM Radio is listed and the phone produces static when the test is run. Until we hear anything definitive from Samsung all we have is speculation!!!

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Nope, still can't get ATIV Beam to install. I even tried side loading it, by downloading the xap file from the Windows Phone store website and putting it on an SD card, but the store app on the phone lists it as an "unsupported application".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo