Myth? Amoled screens do light up black pixels and not turn them off as believed. Try test...

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I read that the super amoled screen is supposed to not light up the black pixels but leave them off to create a dense black and save power. This is not true however it is technically possible.

See for yourself....

1) Turn off your Ativ S.
2) Turn off the lights so you are in pitch darkness. Important!
3) Turn on your phone again.
4) You will see the blue Windows Phone splash screen.
5) Next you will see the Samsung Mob!le splash screen. Notice how dense the black is. This is because the black pixels are off and only the white pixels are on.
6) Next you will see a black only screen but it has a slight glow to it followed by the Samsung logo appearing. This is because the black pixels are on.

So technically as seen in step 5 it is possible for the black pixels to be off and other pixels on. How cool would it be to have a dense black theme in the OS not to mention any benefit to battery it may generate.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You know what would be even better? A full-on implementation of the Nokia Sleeping Screen.

And, the black theme you're looking for is the High Contrast theme. Settings>Ease of Access

FricoRico

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this to, it has not much to do with the screen itself. The data sent to the screen just has some 'color' information in it. It isn't 100%, more of a firmware problem or something. My old Galaxy SII would show 100% black in the night, no light to be seen when it's on in full black. Maybe Pentile displays are worse? Not sure if that is the case though.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is an issue with Windows Phone as my Lumia 800 had the same issue with a black glow. Setting the brightness to high turns the black pixels off. So I believe there is an issue with WP and its color settings that can be fixed with either an update from Sammy or Microsoft

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I just did this. On my screen there were a multitude of little black dots and a black line coming off the top right hand corner of the screen about 3mm long and 2mm wide. :shocked:

Is there something wrong with my screen? Didn't notice it before I tried this out :cry:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just did this. On my screen there were a multitude of little black dots and a black line coming off the top right hand corner of the screen about 3mm long and 2mm wide. :shocked:

Is there something wrong with my screen? Didn't notice it before I tried this out :cry:

Don't worry. Its an AMOLED thing. An AMOLED screen is literally a sheet. Around 8 pages thick of a Reader's Digest magazine. That's how ******* thin that screen is. If I remember correctly, those are where the glass is glued to the screen as mentioned here in the Lumia 800 forums:

Weird spots underneath the screen?

Most AMOLED panels will have that. Although on the Lumia 800, it was REALLY obvious. On the ATIV S, its not that obvious

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3