Update any ATIV S to GDR2 now!

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Tired of waiting for GDR2 update when you really want GDR3? No problem!

Here's how to get your Samsung ATIV S to update to GDR2!

First, make sure your device is interop-unlocked. Instructions here

Second, use a registry editor and change to this value
Code:
[COLOR=#333333][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] 
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]"PhoneMobileOperatorName"="000-AT"[/COLOR]

Restart your phone and manually check for updates. It will start downloading.

EDIT: This method will also force the GDR3 retail update to install along with Samsung's firmware update.

Last edited:

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this on my ATIV on GDR1 and had no luck.
My device is interop unlocked but the registry key returns
'Error in RegOpenKeyEx'

Shayx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
i did all the steps.
GDR2 starts to download very very slowly and in the middle it stops.
my WIFI is fine and check with other network.
what to do?

EDIT: waited an hour and checked again, downloaded slowly but succeeded.
now i'm on GDR3 :)

Last edited:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
For GDR2? This is the Samsung Release. GDR3 is a developer preview and has NOTHING to do with the OEMs. Its the base OS + Samsung features from past updates

AtivSNo

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Please WP8Expert! can i have some expert guidance on how to do this please. I barely managed to do the 'interop-unlocked' thing sucsessfully. But now my brain is fried. Hopefully when i return to this my brain will be ok again haha

Anyway, about registry editor:
I am unsure just how this input should be done. Where to put the info and exactly what it should say. I have this app installed SamWP8 Tools, as suggested from another thread.

Can somebody maybe provide a screenshot from the app with all the fields entered?
Please advise a "never before registry editer"

Last edited:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
tap the icon that says Local Machine, then in the path, enter:
System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

In key, enter:
PhoneMobileOperatorName
and tap String.

Value should be:
and then tap "write". It may tell you "error occured" but tap read, it should show the value you have entered.

Then restart your phone and check for updates

Last edited:

Gal Avraham

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
i have tried to download SAMWP8 tools via wifi but it says "cant install this company app.." error.
what should i do to fix this?
thanks.

humpda

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I am in Australia and have an Ativ S unlocked that I have bought outright. I was on Portico and have used the info in this thread to update the phone...a big thanks for that!!!! Quick question...what do I need to do to return the registry values I altered above to the defaults (after I have updated)...or is this not necessary?

Cheers (and thanks again)...this method seemed a little less "scary" than reflashing the ROM :grincry:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I am in Australia and have an Ativ S unlocked that I have bought outright. I was on Portico and have used the info in this thread to update the phone...a big thanks for that!!!! Quick question...what do I need to do to return the registry values I altered above to the defaults (after I have updated)...or is this not necessary?

Cheers (and thanks again)...this method seemed a little less "scary" than reflashing the ROM :grincry:

Sorry for the RIDICULOUSLY late reply. You don't have to change the values back, as for some reason, devices set to 000-AT are ALWAYS the first to receive updates. Even faster the Lumias.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre