Will Ativ S support Miracast Display Mirroring in WP8.1?

Rafael Sol Maker

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I noted that GSMArena and other few sites said that Samsung ATIV S has support to Wifi-Direct (I bet it's something related to Ativ Beam or something else).

Look here: Samsung Ativ S I8750 - Full phone specifications -- It was even largely announced in the time it was launched.

So, the question in the air is: Will Ativ S support the long awaited feature of display mirroring? Miracast is nothing but a WiDi connection, right?

I guess the hardware supports it, but I dunno if Samsung will make the investiment in firmware/software. If they do it to Core or SE, maybe they'll do to the S and S Neo too.

Other strange find: In GSMArena it says Lumia 820 supports WifiDirect too. But I never heard of anything similar in Lumia series until now, only recently with Lumia Icon/930/etc. This may kinda invalidate the information in the site.

What are you thoughts in this matter?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey, just yesterday or so i read an article here from Daniel where he said that Joe belfiore himself had stated that only the 1520 of the lumia series possibly has the hardware for this feature.. This doesn't answer your question fully, but it does partially :p

Rafael Sol Maker

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey, just yesterday or so i read an article here from Daniel where he said that Joe belfiore himself had stated that only the 1520 of the lumia series possibly has the hardware for this feature.. This doesn't answer your question fully, but it does partially :p
Yeah, but they're only talking about Lumia. Or eventually announcing some Indian/Chinese regional manufacturer (not directly Nokia rival) .

The /build thing was basically pure Microsoft (and Nokia), so I have doubts if Microsoft really cares about Samsung WP8 phone(s): 3 models right now, but only 1 truly remarkable, other ones are kinda "carrier variants" and aren't available worldwide. Hopefully this will change with the 3 new models coming.

Samsung doesn't abandoned Windows Phone yet, and there are regular updates in their apps. Maybe some Sammy will do Miracast in future, but I hope the S do that, it's a pretty good phone after all.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
@OP No, our ativ s's will not support it. Why? Because you don't turn a profit giving away full functionality to "old" devices.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
@OP No, our ativ s's will not support it. Why? Because you don't turn a profit giving away full functionality to "old" devices.

If that's the case then why is there the possibility that the 1520 will support it, by "old" you mean current, last I heard the 1520 is a current device!!!!

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
If that's the case then why is there the possibility that the 1520 will support it, by "old" you mean current, last I heard the 1520 is a current device!!!!

ATIV S is a launch device, 2012 or so. The 1520 is a "new" device, as in it was just released recently.

There is zero reason for it not to be supported. The ativ is more powerful than dektop pc's they were selling just a few years ago. Planned obsolescence is the only reason.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
ATIV S is a launch device, 2012 or so. The 1520 is a "new" device, as in it was just released recently.

There is zero reason for it not to be supported. The ativ is more powerful than dektop pc's they were selling just a few years ago. Planned obsolescence is the only reason.

Well considering most Nokia fanboys like to point out that the ATIV S is essentially the same as the GS3 and that supports Miracast, then I see no reason for the ATIV S to be unsupported either.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's not just a wifi hardware issue, the drivers are a factor too. Microsoft has a certain driver model required to use Miracast (WDDM1.3 for GPU, NDIS 6.4 for wifi).

It probably just doesn't make financial sense for them to go back and update these for hardware that is not being sold any more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa