Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In some interviews MS said that Win10 Mobile will be distributed directly from MS and will not be dependable on Carriers (or regions).

Win 10 mobile will only be distributed directly from MS if the handset originally came with Win 10. Anything that came with Win 8 or 8.1 will be at the mercy of the OEM's and carriers.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Win 10 mobile will only be distributed directly from MS if the handset originally came with Win 10. Anything that came with Win 8 or 8.1 will be at the mercy of the OEM's and carriers.

That's only until those devices are updated to Windows 10 Mobile.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Why are we even doubting 10 will come to Ativ S? Didn't MS say ALL 8.1 devices will get it?
Actually MS mentioned all the 8.1 Lumia, if my memory is correct. Moreover, our device is getting older than 3 years, isn't it? We can only speculate then. It will depend on a few things. How many changes required in the firmware, the eventual announcement of ativ s2 etc.
I guess they will update ativ s firmware after march 2016.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Actually MS mentioned all the 8.1 Lumia, if my memory is correct. Moreover, our device is getting older than 3 years, isn't it? We can only speculate then. It will depend on a few things. How many changes required in the firmware, the eventual announcement of ativ s2 etc.
I guess they will update ativ s firmware after march 2016.
Maybe they have mentioned Lumias only, but remember the situation with 8.1 update for Ativ? It will probably be the same now :)

They have said a lot of things. Like Windows 10 would be free. But now it is not for everyone.
It would be ridiculous to give out Windows 10 for free to pirates, don't you think? Genuine users will get Windows 10 for free and that's what matters :)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe they have mentioned Lumias only, but remember the situation with 8.1 update for Ativ? It will probably be the same now :)

It would be ridiculous to give out Windows 10 for free to pirates, don't you think? Genuine users will get Windows 10 for free and that's what matters :)

About the ATIV S update, they all said we ain't getting it, but suddenly out of the blue, from far behind other devices, we jumped to way upfront in terms of getting the latest and the greatest WP8.1.1. I just hope we don't wait the W10M that much. The thing is that, we gonna get W10M from MS, that's for sure, but the question is when we gonna get the Samsung firmware that needs to go with it?

About W10, my Win7 SP1 Ultimate is genuine, so i am getting the W10 and i already reserved it few weeks ago, Yay! :)

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
About the ATIV S update, they all said we ain't getting it, but suddenly out of the blue, from far behind other devices, we jumped to way upfront in terms of getting the latest and the greatest WP8.1.1. I just hope we don't wait the W10M that much. The thing is that, we gonna get W10M from MS, that's for sure, but the question is when we gonna get the Samsung firmware that needs to go with it?

About W10, my Win7 SP1 Ultimate is genuine, so i am getting the W10 and i already reserved it few weeks ago, Yay! :)
For me, it wasn't really hard to wait because PfD worked amazing on my phone :D There were a few bugs here and there but overall performance was awesome. I know Ativ will get it from MS, that's 100% sure, and remember when Samsung excited us about another firmware update recently? Why would they do that if they aren't preparing for an upgrade?
Also, since i have 2 PCs (one having windows 7 and the other windows 8.1) i reserved 2 windows 10 copies ;)

KamiForce

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
All devices that have WP8.1 should get the update to Windows 10, BUT (and it's a big one):
In orde to run/update to W10; there will be a firmware update first; and this is the problem -> samsung,HTC,... have to provide it first AND if your phone isn't courier-free; the provider has to authorise the update too (firmware & W10 update) ....
Once you have W10, microsoft can do updates all they want! Getting the W10 update will be the biggest issue.
WP8.1 took a very long time to come to Ativ-s (more than 6 months after WP8.1 initial release). I was one of the first to get the update (even made a Windowscentral account to post about it). But a lot of people had to wait a few more months (changing CSC helped a lot of people), but some couriers blocked the update...
Ativ S will get the W10 update; but no idea WHEN
(also at the time of WP8.1 release, Microsoft & Samsung had a lot of lawsuits against each other; most of these have been resolved/settled - there are even rumours of a new Samsung windows phone)

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

I got the notification, but I did not reserved it. And it says if you do not reserve it you cannot get it for free at a later time, or something like this. But it doesn't matter me.

What I don't understand how will MS or even Samsung will make money from the W10 update. Samsung cannot make money anymore from the Ativ S.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I heard MS is going to pay Samsung to continue supporting Windows Mobile brand. If that fails, we'll all probably move to Android because i don't see how will W10 succeed because it's, let's be honest, still much behind it's rivals iOS and Android.

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Windows is more and more becoming like Android. With the circles for contacts and what not, Hamburger menu and so on.
Soon the tiles will also be in circles. And than what is the difference from Android.

Today I've read that Samsung is stuck with a lot of unsold S6 and S6 Edge. Maybe they can transform these into W10 phones?!?

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I am wondering that too.
You can put the Person Hub over there or Weather or Notifications for Text Messages/WhatsApp or shortcuts for system settiings.

There you go MS & Samsung, now you got some ideas.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows is more and more becoming like Android. With the circles for contacts and what not, Hamburger menu and so on.
Soon the tiles will also be in circles. And than what is the difference from Android.

Today I've read that Samsung is stuck with a lot of unsold S6 and S6 Edge. Maybe they can transform these into W10 phones?!?

I don't think it would succeed. People simply hate Windows tiles :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb