Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
this are not good reason:
-HD on 4.8" means 306ppi, 10% under "retina display" and fullHD is only battery eating
-3G+ means you have 42.2 Mbps and at this moment 4G with 100 Mbps is not standard in any region, I don't think my new Lumia have always more than 42 Mbps even if I have 150 Mbps by the contract
Lack of W10M remains only the good reason to sell the Ativ
p.s. if I broke/loose the 930 I wiil be back to Ativ

not really
FullHD is standard now. Its not just about ppi its about colors, saturation, contrast etc.. Bigger display is a new trend. Sure not everybody has a big hand to hold it correctly but... my hands are fine with it so I need it + on bigger display is easier to type words. Long emails are not a problem.

3G is not just about speed. The biggest factor is the latency (response time from server to server). 3G (in my country) is now fully replaced by LTE so if I want internet in my mobile I need LTE support.

Bigger battery, WP10, new design, better camera and probably better app support are very welcome too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the performance. Nowadays 2 core CPUs (As in Ativ S) are not powerful enough to render web pages. Like windowscentral is just slow on it. Its not acceptable in 2015. Quad core is needed and 2GB of ram too

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I will leave my Ativ S and go for the 950XL
holly MOlly! That phone looks good!
Bye bye Tsam-Tsung :)

I am a Samsung fan, been with years. Their hardware is just great (don't care what others say, it never failed me). But damn, that 950XL (even 950 itself) looks gorgeous. Only thing i would like to swap between 950 and 950XL is the looks of the camera module. I mean they are the same but the design of the rare camera of 950 looks better than on 950XL (but that's my taste, others may differ).
No matter how much I love my ATIV S i8750, guess i will have to part my ways soon with Samsung and go for Microsoft Lumia 950XL. That, until Samsung surprised us with something equally or better than 950XL. If they do that (hope they do), then it will be "Hello Samsung my old friend, we meet again". I was so hoping that this gorgeous device ATIV S (you have to admit it was gorgeous) will have it's own successor (say what you want but ATIV SE is not its successor) like maybe ATIV S2. We can only hope Samsung will do something about it when W10M will took off.
However, I will pledge one thing here: Even tho I might get 950XL, I will stay on this thread and help others who will remain on their ATIV S's, cuz I am not even think about selling my ATIV S, it will stay as my secondary device (cuz i have 2 different numbers) and because i feel like home here with all you guys :)

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I am a Samsung fan, been with years. Their hardware is just great (don't care what others say, it never failed me). But damn, that 950XL (even 950 itself) looks gorgeous.

Even tho I might get 950XL, I will stay on this thread and help others who will remain on their ATIV S's, cuz I am not even think about selling my ATIV S, it will stay as my secondary device (cuz i have 2 different numbers) and because i feel like home here with all you guys[/B][/I] :)

well Samsung could transform the S6 Edge into W10 or the S5 but to be honest... the support may be better on the Lumia device. Ativ S is still a good device. In my country you can get it for around 150euros thats still a fair price for a phone with good camera and not laging system (hello android).

To be honest I wont buy the 950XL right now.. I mean ok, its a good looking device but come on... the price will be around 700euros. Thats too much for a WP device. The price will drop after 3 months. I will buy it around 400euros thats the max. I will give for a Microsoft phone. The lack of app is still a big problem.

EDIT: after reading this http://www.windowscentral.com/hands-on-lumia-950-xl

Hmm... Microsoft needs to finish WP10 and I hope the Snapdragon CPU wont have any HEAT or throtlle problems

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, after I gave my brother my old Ativ S and we sold it because of dying battery, he got some LG Android (pretty good one actually), but as me, he couldn't stand Android and bad battery management in it...Time has passed and boom, Ativ S was bought for 90Euros in like brand new condition, still has the stickers on it. Was really great deal. Now he enjoys it, great battery life, good camera, display, etc. More than enough for him or me. If this phone gets W10 he'll keep it for long, for sure...

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm still hoping W10M will be there in future for my Ativ S, but I bought a Lumia 640 dual sim so I can experiment now with W10M and still have the Ativ S as a backup. Lumia 640 is nice, but Ativ S display and case are better.

nRavi

May 6, 2015
Visit site
ATIV S lovers, another tough part of life is nearing now. the time to part away from our beloved ATIV S is just round the corner. most of us may have to take this step and sadly say BYE to ATIV S. i have a strong feeling that even if Samsung manages to upgrade our ATIV S to W10M it may not be as smooth as 8.1.1. W10M looks heavy and our 1GB RAM and processor will be just fitting in the minimum requirements which may take out all the smoothness. anyway, this is not going to happen so we need to move ahead.

i dont want to go away from Windows OS and also dont want to leave Samsung. Windows OS is superb and Samsung devices are fantabulous. so there i am stuck. whether go for Lumia 950 or SG S6. friends, what do you think? will it be wise to grab a S6 or stay back for 950?

Thanks a lot ATIV S mates...

Rimil0uz

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I own a Samsung Ativ S. I bought it because it was cheap for what it offered. 2 years ago new from expansys spain 220?. That was like 150? cheaper than the Lumia 920 by then, and although at the same price I would have bought the Lumia, for 150? less the differences weren't so big. Samsung may be great on Android because there they have a great build quality, a more than decent camera and good support for their flagships, but in WP next to Nokia/Microsoft those features aren't that great... in the end, MS/Nokia have better cameras, better quality and better support.

I will miss a 220? flagship in WP, but I won't miss Samsung.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm still hoping W10M will be there in future for my Ativ S, but I bought a Lumia 640 dual sim so I can experiment now with W10M and still have the Ativ S as a backup. Lumia 640 is nice, but Ativ S display and case are better.
How is this working out for you? Getting tired of the Ativ S at the moment. No updates, no support from Samsung.. I haven't got any hope left we're ever going to be seeing Windows 10 on it. Maybe unofficial, but certainly not official.

Getting a cheap quad core to replace the Ativ's Dual Core seems like a decent idea. Plus, the 640 over here is the only reasonable priced entry level phone with roughly the same specs. Although in my opinion, 8 gigs of memory is abysmal, esp. considering MS took away the only means to move HERE maps to SD card. I feel like every Lumia released in the past say 2 years has been intentionally crippled by just omitting a specific piece of hardware to differentiate it somehow from higher end models. Which is weird, cause there currently arent any real "high" end models in the Lumia lineup, hardware-spec-wise. Sure, every single one runs 8.1 a descent speeds, but it's with the release of 10, every model currently running WP8.1 will most certainly going to be sub-par, judging by the specs of the newly announced phones. And even the low to mid end Lumia's run 8.1 fast enough for daily use, so whats the point of even getting a more expensive model?

I'm not even sure i'm entirely fed up with the Ativ S only. Sure, mine's been having a lot of quirky behavior lately so the hardware might just be dying on me, slowly. Not being able to receive calls at times and having them go straight to voicemail (reboot fixes that but it is annoying AF), battery needing replacement (nothing out of the ordinary after 2 years of use i guess), GPS and Here nav stopping mid navigation.. But.. Slow progress on the WP OS in general, every major update (if we were even getting them as "2nd rate WP users - aka Samsung owners) adding one or 2 new features that are actually usable and a lot of new features that are implemented so poorly they are infact, utterly unusable (VPN anybody?) is something thats really starting to annoy me. Maybe even more then the Ativ itself and the lack of support on it.
Microsoft seems to be repeating their "Soon!" mantra over and over since they have been doing since they released the first version of Windows Phone.. And the progress on the OS development front, and app development front are both minimal.. I mean, the completely ditched the hubs idea which everybody seemed to like, even the Facebook app seemed to have been destroyed completely with the last couple of updates. Then they announce newer phones which are going to cost a boatload of money. With "Continue-em" as a USP. Nice. If you want to use that. Which i'm guessing the majority won't, actually. Then u got Android apps. Well.. Might just buy an Android phone then.. It's like they don't get it anymore at Redmond, or just don't seem to care at all. <Sigh> Too bad actually.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Just this weekend I installed 10.0.10549 on my Lumia 640, and it looks like a candidate for daily use. The Ativ S is still going strong on 8.1.1, had to replace a broken battery cover, but that was cheap, and replaced the battery already a year ago, also nice to have the old battery as a backup when you're out. And the SD card has always given problems, tried several, now I have removed it. 16G of memory is just about sufficient. The 8G of the Lumia is not, but there my old SD cards work well and I have most apps on the SD. Still, 8.1.1 is starting to look primitive and boring compared to W10.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
For me, I've got a nice Nokia 1020 running wm10 that's sits in my bag. My ativ s is my main phone. Runs very smooth and just bought a new high capacity battery for it which is lasting me 1.5 days on 8.1.1. I have the t899m model, so mine has lte. I'll stick with this phone for now while the 1020 tests w10m until is stable enough for my liking. :)

Sent from my Ativ S

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
For me, I've got a nice Nokia 1020 running wm10 that's sits in my bag. My ativ s is my main phone. Runs very smooth and just bought a new high capacity battery for it which is lasting me 1.5 days on 8.1.1. I have the t899m model, so mine has lte. I'll stick with this phone for now while the 1020 tests w10m until is stable enough for my liking. :)

Sent from my Ativ S

What battery have you brought?

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Some 2300 mah high capacity battery. Only problem is, because it isn't a Samsung OEM battery, it prevents nfc from being used. Small trade off I guess, but I think I may purchase a Samsung OEM battery because Rogers has suretap sim cards that I would eventually like to use for tap to pay. :)
Sent from my Ativ S

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Some 2300 mah high capacity battery. Only problem is, because it isn't a Samsung OEM battery, it prevents nfc from being used. Small trade off I guess, but I think I may purchase a Samsung OEM battery because Rogers has suretap sim cards that I would eventually like to use for tap to pay. :)
Sent from my Ativ S

Umm, high capacity 2300mAh battery? I have the model i8750 and the battery is 2300 mAh, so how come your is high capacity? What battery T899 have? There was one 3000 mAh battery on aliexpress and amazon for ATIV S but lacking NFC cuz ATIV S have its NFC built in the battery. Didn't you think about that 3000 mAh battery instead of 2300?

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Umm, high capacity 2300mAh battery? I have the model i8750 and the battery is 2300 mAh, so how come your is high capacity? What battery T899 have? There was one 3000 mAh battery on aliexpress and amazon for ATIV S but lacking NFC cuz ATIV S have its NFC built in the battery. Didn't you think about that 3000 mAh battery instead of 2300?

My Ativ S had a 2100 mAh battery to start with years ago. I bought a 3000 mAh battery for it but it exploded in my phone when I lent it to my niece. I'm a little worried about some of these cheaper batteries when the phone gets hot. So I may just go buy a Samsung OEM one.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
My Ativ S had a 2100 mAh battery to start with years ago. I bought a 3000 mAh battery for it but it exploded in my phone when I lent it to my niece. I'm a little worried about some of these cheaper batteries when the phone gets hot. So I may just go buy a Samsung OEM one.

Oh, now that make sense :) didn't knew that canadian ATIV S have a 2100 mAh battery. Does the 2300 mAh battery that ATIV S i8750 have, fits the Canadian ATIV S T899M?

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Because my battery I'm currently using is meant for the i8750. Funny story. While I was waiting for this battery to ship, I was using a crappy s3 battery in it. Much smaller but you can put a piece of plastic under it to push it up against the metal contact.

Why, you got a spare Samsung OEM battery you want to sell? ;)
Sent from my Ativ S

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My wife's ATIV S is experiencing stop receiving calls/SMS/messaging out of the bloom. It starts receiving back only after some human interaction (like opening Whatsapp and such). Is anyone experiencing some bad behaviour like this? We're gonna leave the Samsung ship because of this...

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
My wife's ATIV S is experiencing stop receiving calls/SMS/messaging out of the bloom. It starts receiving back only after some human interaction (like opening Whatsapp and such). Is anyone experiencing some bad behaviour like this? We're gonna leave the Samsung ship because of this...

I never had anything like this. Are you on Windows Phone 8.1? Developer preview? What's the signal like? Download Aida64 from the store and it should tell you what your cell signal is like. Did you recently change anything on the phone? One thing you could try is rolling back to Windows 8.0 GDR3 and update from there. See if that fixes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb