Should I buy it?

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I've sold my exchanged my Lumia 520 for 630, I wanted to keep it but I got good offer for it and sold it just an hour later :) And now I'm phoneless.
My personal go was to buy Lumia 720 as I like Nokia and ofc it's look,camera, sturdiness, etc. But, as I'm buying second hand phone(no money), I can't seems to find it for fair price. Instead, for just a little bit more I've found Samsung Ativ S, 8 months old, full package, I'll see it live tomorrow but on pics it looks without usage track, at least without damage and scratches on screen. I was able to find Lumia 820 for same price.

I don't have any experience with Samsung so far. Is it worth buying? how is the support from samsung? So far I could see there is 8.1.1 OFFICIAL rellased, or I'm wrong?(it wouldn't be problem for me to flash it, it's bought here in Serbia so I don't know it's CSC) . Build quality? How is the battery? I'm not very heavy user, but I use it for forums, some games, internet surfing.
And of course, what I'll be missing from Lumia on it (with 8.1 update)? Is there glance, double tap to wake?
Also, how is navigation on it? No here maps/drive? any good replacement?

thanks to everybody

Last edited:

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
buy a Lumia 820, the support is better

and just a tip
i live in EU and the Lumia 930 is very cheap.. the price is just 370eur and its still falling. It will reach 310 in 2015 JAN or FEB so if you need a High end phone and you can wait a bit then the 930 is a better choice then the Ativ or 820.

If you cant wait then go for the 820, you wont be disappointed

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
No money for for 930, prices I'm talking are 120 Euros for Ativ S, Lumia 820 are like 140e and 920 150e and up.. Can't find decent 720 under 110-120e. Of course like I said these are used, second hand phones. My main concern with 820 is battery, if it hold whole day. L520 sometimes couldn't, and from net, L820 has even shorter battery life?. Also, for same price ativ has much better screen and better battery... Confused as hell.
Also, should be able to install Here maps/drive on Ativ? for free ofc. Are they exclusive still to Lumia or no? On some places I read it is possible on other not. Not having that is real deal breaker :shocked:

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
It is always good to buy a brand new phone.But since you are on a tight budget, i would suggest you to go for 820 and skip other brands because at the end of the day its a Nokia product which means it will be reliable,durable and will last long even if its a second hand device.
Or u can collect some cash and instead go for a brand new wp8.1 device like 530 or 630 because at the end of the day u'll be getting a brand new device.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
No money for for 930, prices I'm talking are 120 Euros for Ativ S, Lumia 820 are like 140e and 920 150e and up.. Can't find decent 720 under 110-120e. Of course like I said these are used, second hand phones. My main concern with 820 is battery, if it hold whole day. L520 sometimes couldn't, and from net, L820 has even shorter battery life?. Also, for same price ativ has much better screen and better battery... Confused as hell.
Also, should be able to install Here maps/drive on Ativ? for free ofc. Are they exclusive still to Lumia or no? On some places I read it is possible on other not. Not having that is real deal breaker :shocked:

you can install Here+ on Ativ S for free
what do you mean by better battery? Mine Ativ S lasts for 24h. thats max. ... every single smartphone Android or WP can last for 1 or 1 and a half day by regular use

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
you can install Here+ on Ativ S for free
what do you mean by better battery? Mine Ativ S lasts for 24h. thats max. ... every single smartphone Android or WP can last for 1 or 1 and a half day by regular use

Here+ for free, without hacks, proxies and etc? I haven't been able to find proper answer, contradictory answers in multiple threads.

Didn't knew you had Ativ S, now suggestion to buy L820 from Ativ user is even more serious :)

Bigger, better battery, able to last whole day. Some of my previous smartphones wasn't able to last whole day.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Here+ for free, without hacks, proxies and etc? I haven't been able to find proper answer, contradictory answers in multiple threads.

Didn't knew you had Ativ S, now suggestion to buy L820 from Ativ user is even more serious :)

Bigger, better battery, able to last whole day. Some of my previous smartphones wasn't able to last whole day.

yes, Here+ is working on ALL WP 8 or 8.1 devices and Samsung users will get Here drive+ for free too

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I for one would recommend buying the ATIV S. I bought in 2012 for myself and a year later for my family aswell. The battery lasts really long and you can swap it which is a big plus. The screen is awesome, Super AMOLED HD of course and its still fast enough.

I wouldn't say that the samsung support is that bad, but samsung is not every vocal about future updates and stuff. Now the final firmware for WP 8.1 is available even before some lumias and htc phones. Not for all versions yet, but it's there and if you really want it, you can get it ;)

But you don't get the lumia apps, some need them, I don't. What i need is here maps and here drive + which is also available for the ATIV S.

I think the 820 with its 4.3'' screen is not big enough today, also it doesn't have and HD display. And the battery life of the ATIV S is much better.

I would never swap my ATIV S for an 820.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everybody for answers!

So I bought it yesterday. Ativ S, full package, very good condition,I would say only trace of usage is peeled piece of metal-like paint on corner, no scratches and dents. Maybe I paid bit too much, 120 Euros - 150 dollars, but windows phones are really rare here, at least on sale. I wanted a Nokia, I'm fan of it from my lovely 3510 10 years ago, but simply couldn't find them for good price.
And here it is. It may not be and probably isn't sturdy as Nokia, it isn't really sexy for me, camera isn't really sharp as Nokia's, but display is great, it is fast, it does have 8.1.1 official update which majority of Lumias still don't have.
I thought I'll miss super sensitivity option, but it still works with gloves, and double tap to wake is kinda compensated with ability of waking up with home button. I do already miss Lumia camera app, but maybe Ativ camera will be here soon.. Not having Here suite would be deal breaker, but it is here.

All in all I like it so far. But who knows, maybe later I'll sell it and buy Nokia..and maybe not.

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Glad you bought the Ativ S.

You can activate your Here Drive+ by changing your region in USA, UK of even Mexico. And it definitely would work on WP8.1
It is said in some thread too.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Well since I've got it immediately downgraded it to gdr2 and updated to 8.1.1, so battery still have to stabilise, but so far it is noticeable that it isgoing to last more than Lumia 520. This morning I've used it one hour for web browsing, messaging, few calls, it was constantly on heavy usage and it dropped 15%. Pretty better than my old phone. I need to use it more to give good observation.
But it is worth to say that this phone is still worth buying. Still haven't seen "resuming" screen :D

Also, it is on automatic brightness, which seems to force it constantly to high and medium brightness, which is one big factor and I don't love that. Keeping it on medium whole time will probably increase battery life more.