Why is my battery draining so fast?

anon(6098928)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
High Battery Drain

Hello all,

My Ativ S (SGH-i8750) is running the newest/latest 8.1 GDR1 build. I've noticed that the battery drain is dreadful. On occasion, I will plug my phone into charge overnight, and the battery level will be lower in the morning then when it started the night before.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am pulling my hair out :( :angry:

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: High Battery Drain

me too, as i told in another topic.
But i think it's really drain for me, for guinnsquirrel i think too it's the charger.

after update 8.1
Try disabling them in the background and see what happens, also it might be wise to do a factory reset if you haven't already as with the new firmware I've been getting over a day out of it.
i already tried to disable everything, and made 2 hard reset (i made them immediately after tje update, not after seeing the drain).
usually it doesn't seem too heavy battery drain, but this night i left it at 20%, put in fly mode, and in the morning was dead. Nothing in background, i disabled all i could.
It's not battery dead, seen i see even at 2" i can use it enough before it turns off...

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

me too, as i told in another topic.
[...]
usually it doesn't seem too heavy battery drain, but this night i left it at 20%, put in fly mode, and in the morning was dead. Nothing in background, i disabled all i could.
It's not battery dead, seen i see even at 2" i can use it enough before it turns off...

Since 8.1.1 I too have noticed considerable battery drain in Flight Mode. Before on 8.0 GDR2 & 3, a night with Flight Mode enabled and no Battery Saver resulted in ~2-6% drain. Now on 8.1.1 the same routine, Flight Mode enabled and no Battery Saver, drains ~20-30%. If I enable Battery Saver as well as Flight Mode, drain is as before, roughly ~2-4%. So apparently there are some processes that run on 8.1.1 that require more background power and don't get that Flight Mode means they too can get some rest...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

You don't say whether you have the firmware that goes with WP8.1 yet which is probably the reason, I noticed the battery drain is significantly improved with the new firmware.

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

i had official update, so it's new firmware, i see firmware version 2424.14.9.3
But so much in fly mode... 20% in night... It's a nonsense.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

facing similar issue on m lumia 620 after wp8.1+DP . Tried hard reset couple of times but no luck.Apart from that facing a lot of issue.
Hope Microsoft seeds Denim asap.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

i had official update, so it's new firmware, i see firmware version 2424.14.9.3
But so much in fly mode... 20% in night... It's a nonsense.

Do you use Battery Saver, if not then try switching that on. Could you tell me how much time Battery Saver shows off charge? You say you've done a factory reset, did you go through Settings > about > reset your phone?

I had a similar problem on my ATIV S both with the DP and after I got the firmware, but after I did a factory reset and let the battery drain completely that's improved significantly to the point where I routinely get over a day out of a single charge.

If you decide to try a factory reset again/if you haven't done a full factory reset yet then this worked for me:

1. Plug the phone into the mains and make sure the apps are up to date.
2. Remove the least used ones.
3. Do a manual Apps+Settings Backup
4. Factory Reset the device through Settings > about > reset your phone
5. Set up the phone, restoring from the latest backup
6. Wait until the phone has installed and updated your apps and registers as fully charged

Once that's done then make sure it's drained to the point where it can't power up then plug it in and let it fully charge then see how much estimated time you get in Battery Saver. It should be over a day, yes this is long winded but it fixed the issue for me.

Last edited:

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

thank you very much for your help.
meanwhile i made another factory reset from Settings > about > reset your phone
and this night it seem to have been much better.
I'll let you know.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

thank you very much for your help.
meanwhile i made another factory reset from Settings > about > reset your phone
and this night it seem to have been much better.
I'll let you know.

Good to hear, the new battery saver update seems to be far more accurate as well.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

facing similar issue on m lumia 620 after wp8.1+DP . Tried hard reset couple of times but no luck.Apart from that facing a lot of issue.
Hope Microsoft seeds Denim asap.

The way I fixed it above on my ATIV S should apply to any WP, if you have the Cyan firmware then give it a try and see what happens.

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

for now i conferm no battery drain anymore.
i have to test to leave it at night with around 10%, which is the situation when i had more problems, i'll let you know.

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I previously posted about the battery drain on 8.1.1 but omitted the firmware version, which is 2424.14.9.3. Anyway, I found that battery drain at night is higher with Flight Mode & Battery Saver on, than it is with Quiet Hours. This seems like a paradox, Location Services, WiFi and Cellular (not data) enabled and NO power saving modes using less energy than with power saving settings. I now suspect some processes check for, or use, an internet connection periodically, and when found they sleep for some time. If they do not get to connect they will persist in trying to connect. Which means less thread sleep and more WiFi activity, thus higher power consumption.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I previously posted about the battery drain on 8.1.1 but omitted the firmware version, which is 2424.14.9.3. Anyway, I found that battery drain at night is higher with Flight Mode & Battery Saver on, than it is with Quiet Hours. This seems like a paradox, Location Services, WiFi and Cellular (not data) enabled and NO power saving modes using less energy than with power saving settings. I now suspect some processes check for, or use, an internet connection periodically, and when found they sleep for some time. If they do not get to connect they will persist in trying to connect. Which means less thread sleep and more WiFi activity, thus higher power consumption.

Did you try the procedure I mentioned further up?

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

i can confirm now no problem anymore.
At night i leave in flight mode, no battery saver.
Try if for you is better with only flight mode and no battery saver, if not try an hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99