Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys that i jump in like this but i have two questions regarding the .218.
1) Does it still have massive battery drain?
2) Does it occasionally get stuck on SAMSUNG logo and won't turn on without hard reset?
Thanks in advance because these were the only reasons i've gone back to 8.1

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys that i jump in like this but i have two questions regarding the .218.
1) Does it still have massive battery drain?
2) Does it occasionally get stuck on SAMSUNG logo and won't turn on without hard reset?
Thanks in advance because these were the only reasons i've gone back to 8.1
  1. Nope, build 10586.218 doesn't have battery drain issues.
    The new build 10586.242 seems to cause more drain. still it stays alive for pretty the same time as 8.1 did for me on the 3-year-old battery.
  2. Haven't seen such issues ever. But I haven't used Windows 10 until build 10586.107. So maybe earlier builds have had such issues.

These are the issues I am having on Windows 10.0.10586.242:

• Slow performance
    I do see Resuming... messages quite often when switching between apps.
    I admit that user apps and system apps are less responsive than on Windows Phone 8.1; easily seen on restart. Restart the phone and try opening Settings. There's a huge lag between tapping Settings and seeing it on screen.
  • Swype is working much less accurate
    This is crazy. I can't believe they could harm what used to work flawless, but that's it. It seems that new keyboard uses its own cloud, separate from the one used in Windows Phone 8.1. Too many incorrect suggestions on Windows 10. I NEVER had any chance to curse against the keyboard in Windows Phone. Not in Windows 10. How come it suggests 'widows' all the time, 'I'm' instead of 'in'. There is almost no line I could toe, fk, type at once without having to retype! I I weren't using Windows Phone, I would think this is my fault. But since I am using Windows Phone since March 2010, I remember how surprised I was when Swype was added to Windows. It worked fantastic.

Second, in Windows Phone correcting mistypes was plain easy. You had to tap Backspace to have had the incorrectly suggested word deleted. You can't in Windows 10. If keyboard suggests an incorrect word, tapping Backspace only deletes the prepending letter.
  • Spartan a/k/a Edge has a slew of issues.

Heck, I can't easily edit posts @WindowsCentral. Often keyboard freezes so that the insertion point disappears, and I have to wait for quite time for it to reappear.

Why on Earth Edge doesn't support Microsoft forums? Ever tried to respond to a forum post using Edge from Windows 10 Mobile?

Yet, build 242 has brought fixes. For example, you can now have much more tabs opened in Edge, and what is more, Edge doesn't autoclose tabs when there's no room to open a new tab.
  • Camera focus doesn't work.

There is almost no camera app that has working focus on Windows 10.

The only apps that have focus working are:

• Office Lens
    • Camera360

I have almost every camera app that's available on the market, but sadly none of the others to these two supports focus. All seem to use API that's not supported by ATIV S firmware.
  • Alarm has glitches.

For unknown reason some alarms I've set don't ring on some weekdays. It seems to interfere with quiet time.
  • Notification glitches

If you had some app opened from the notification screen for some event, you won't be able to open another event in this app until you close the instance of an app opened earlier.

For example, tap on an email notification. Don't close Outlook app, then lock the phone. When a new email arrives, tap on its notification. Outlook will open with a previously opened email (the one you had opened before you've locked the phone)

Last but not least. Do I recommend upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile. Yes I do. There isn't anything that would do a wow-effect for you, but... once you start using your old phone with Windows 10, you understand that you no longer want Windows 8.1 on the phone. There are tons of miniscule changes and improvements that make your experiences noticeably better.

Name one? Backup! Backup has improved dramatically. Wanna me name the second feature? Search through UI. Remember beta of Office 2007? You could search through its commands. It was fantastic but MSFT removed this nice feature. Now it's available in Windows 10. Not a rocket feature, but seriously improves experience.

Finally, Outlook isn't the Koh-I-Noor of mail applications, but I like it better than the old Mail app.

Last edited:

bokkiej

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Key improvements in this release include:
•Reliability, performance and stability improvements.
•Fix for a problem that could result in unexpected battery drain while the phone screen is off.
•Improvements to the update system to prevent phones getting into a state where attempting to take an update may lead to errors 0x800f081f or 0x80070570.
•Fix for a problem that caused some phones to finish the initial setup wizard with an incomplete set of app tiles on the Start screen.
•Improvements to the reliability of USB-C connections.
•Improvements to Cortana, including a fix for a problem where music playback would not resume after dismissing an incoming text, and a problem with Quiet Hours not setting automatic rules for every day.
•Fix for a problem that could result in the phone to hang or restart when visiting certain web pages in Microsoft Edge.
•Fix for a problem that caused recorded video to be lost when answering an incoming call on some phones.
•Improvements for reliability of internet connection sharing (ICS) and tethering.
•Fix for a problem that caused the navigation bar to overlay and hide part of the screen for some apps on certain phones.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
With the latest W10 update, have any of you tried getting a BT keyboard to work or is that strictly a firmware problem with ativ s?

rmcbarreto

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a problem with the hotspot, when the screen turns off, after a wile I lost the connection between the pc and the mobile phone! But this thing don't just append to me! My girlfriend have a lumia 535 and have the same problem! Anyone know how to solve this issue? I'm in build .218

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing issues with occasional restarts of the phone on 10.0.10586.242 and 10.0.10586.318. After a series of restarts the phone stops booting. Windows logo, then black screen. Samsung logo doesn't appear.

The issue is as follows:

• The phone restarts all of a sudden.
  • It works for some time, then it restarts again, soon after it restarted itself.
  • After this restart you see Windows logo quickly after and then goes the black screen.

It looks like there are issues with writing to the SD card. Seems to me that Windows restarts on errors writing to the SD card. Next time it fails to start due to errors on the SD card.
If you pull out SD card, the phone enters loop mode (it buzzes and Windows logo doesn't show off).

I've had this on 10.0.10586.242. Left the phone on the charge while I was sleeping and was happy to find the phone working in the morning.
Thought that was a single case. However today's morning the phone restarted again. Now that it 10.0.10586.318. It wasn't update issue, because the phone worked for more than 24 hrs after it updated to 10.0.10586.318.

Anyone seeing anything like this?

bokkiej

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I've had continuous rebooting (not even showing samsung logo) and buzzing on .218 a few times. Removing battery helped since the phone didn't respond to buttons. Didn't have it yet on .318. I'm having issues (also for some versions) with the screen getting black on Edge with videos om screen. Scrolling a bit further or back remedies the issue.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had continuous rebooting (not even showing samsung logo) and buzzing on .218 a few times. Removing battery helped since the phone didn't respond to buttons.
Heck, in my case removing battery doesn't help. Pulled out the battery, inserted back, phone buzzed. Then goes Windows logo and then the black screen, instead of expected Samsung logo.

Skyjouby

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you should hard reset and try without restore parameters ? Probably, an old parameter is conflicting the update one ?

I went back from redstone to Spavlin custom 318, I have no problem exept very loud sound on alarm (the trouble is known, I just have to edit a reg key).
Rom is really smooth and you can set Camera 360Sight as defaut camera with button
[ROM] ▒▒▒▒▒ N… | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

By jumping to custom rom, I couldn't recover the back up, but by loging in Microsoft account, I recover SMS, MMS, Wifi parameters...
The interset of using Custom rom is that you don't need to spend 4 hours to update from 8.1.1
You flash, hard reset and that's all, you are already in .318

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It looks like there are issues with writing to the SD card.
I seem to remember something like this after updating to 8.1.2. Sometimes, when I'd wake up the phone, there would be several icons broken. App list would show darkened icons. All these apps were installed on the SD card. After a time, the OS would pop up an error message indicating that the SD card needed to be scanned for errors. You could remove your SD card, plug it into your PC and do an error scan there? Anyway, whatever was causing the corruption eventually stopped.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I seem to remember something like this after updating to 8.1.2. Sometimes, when I'd wake up the phone, there would be several icons broken. App list would show darkened icons. All these apps were installed on the SD card. After a time, the OS would pop up an error message indicating that the SD card needed to be scanned for errors. You could remove your SD card, plug it into your PC and do an error scan there? Anyway, whatever was causing the corruption eventually stopped.

I've checked the SD card with chkdsk /f /r /x /v. No issues revealed. The phone started itself all of a sudden on one of the attempts to start it by pressing Power button.

Made a hard reset. Didn't do the trick. Still the phone continues to restart itself every now and then. The screen gets black, then if you press Power button, the phone restarts.

I suppose it can be caused by video driver.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Is there anybody using HERE Maps or HERE Drive+ on 10.0.10586.318?

I've used these apps up until today...

Today I've made a hard reset to my Windows 10 Mobile phone and have found that HERE Maps' and HERE Drive+'s tiles on the start screen turned pale. Both apps disappeared from the list of installed apps.

If you click on apps' tiles, Windows opens Windows Store where it says that HERE apps are no longer available for Windows 10.

And now you say that HERE removed its apps on April 29th, 2016.

That's strange.

I've had my Lumia phone reset on May 2nd. Back then Windows automatically downloaded HERE Maps and HERE Drive+.

Since my phone was issued outside the U.S., Windows first downloaded non-US versions of HERE apps. These were obsolete versions that required Nokia accounts.

I changed Region settings to United States. However, I wasn't able to log-in into HERE apps and reach my HERE favorites, because Nokia has discontinued support for mail services on NOKIA.com and NOKIAMAIL.com.

I removed both apps and started Windows Store without restarting the phone.

To my utter surprise, Windows Store offered updates for the yet-removed apps! Yep, I've got newer versions of HERE Maps and HERE Drive+ where I could use my Microsoft account to get location favorites.

I used both HERE Maps and HERE Drive+ up until I reset the phone again... Now I've found the apps have been finally removed from Windows store.

Strange enough. Previously Windows Store had a warning that HERE apps will not be available after June.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Still not working latest Redstone fast ring build on Ativ S?
Nope, MSFT had pulled off the support of QCom S4 SoC so we are staying in TH2 forever? Anyway I don't see much feature will be added in for the old devices so I'm fine with the current stage we are in now. Just waiting for more apps getting optimized for W10M platform and make our devices alive as long as possible.

kderh

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
So can anyone confirm from personal experience whether the newest redstone builds (especially the one which just came out) work or not work at all on the ATIV S?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786