Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

the gaston lagaffe

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Open Cortana (magnifying glass), look up on the left-hand corner of the screen for three horizontal lines (hamburger menu) click on that and choose "notebook" then "permissions".
I have disabled cortana but nothing changed, the battery drain is still there.

I should uninstall facebook twitter and messenger to test...

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by the gaston lagaffe
Originally Posted by Dave Velo
Open Cortana (magnifying glass), look up on the left-hand corner of the screen for three horizontal lines (hamburger menu) click on that and choose "notebook" then "permissions".
I have disabled cortana but nothing changed, the battery drain is still there.

I should uninstall facebook twitter and messenger to test...
Messenger is a huge battery hog, try disabling it if you can and you should notice the change :)

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Messenger is a huge battery hog, try disabling it if you can and you should notice the change :)

Threshold builds have excess battery drain problems. I have 14393.5 RS installed with no battery drain issues that I'm aware of.

Update! Is anyone having problems saving Mobile operator APN settings? First of all, it doesn't appear that this OS reads data from the SIM and sets the parameters automatically. Therefore, it's necessary to set and save them manually. This is not a problem, except when the phone is rebooted, the saved settings are lost!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Threshold builds have excess battery drain problems. I have 14393.5 RS installed with no battery drain issues that I'm aware of.

Update! Is anyone having problems saving Mobile operator APN settings? First of all, it doesn't appear that this OS reads data from the SIM and sets the parameters automatically. Therefore, it's necessary to set and save them manually. This is not a problem, except when the phone is rebooted, the saved settings are lost!

It's a very well known problem...no solutions that I'm aware of! :)

ssx1000

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's on my ativ. Seems fine so far... haven't noticed any new bugs. Report back if you find something else and I'll do the same.
Got it installed and everything is working so far. Tried auto backlight but no luck still not working. I also don't think it will be working any time soon but it doesn't bother me that much. Still using ativ as mt daily phone without any problems. I will report back if there will be any bugs.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If you've got bored trying to guess what would be the canonical name for a specific variant of a Lumia phone, this page might come handy for you: https://github.com/ailon/PhoneNameResolver/blob/master/PhoneNameResolver.cs

It's actually some phone detection code written in C#, but you don't have to know anything about C# to read it.

For example, if you need to fake your Samsung ATIV S and pretend it's Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Single SIM 3G, how would you know what to specify in PhoneManufacturerModelName parameter under HKLM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo?

By looking into this file you could figure out that the proper value for the PhoneManufacturerModelName string parameter would be RM-1066.

By the way, for ATIV S this would be GT-I8750.

Also, value for PhoneModelName would be Lumia 640 XL if you're using PhoneManufacturerModelName = 1066 and it will be GT-I8750 for PhoneManufacturerModelName = GT-I8750.

Hope some newcomer find this helpful.

Please correct me if anything sounds incorrect here.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
By the way, once I've converted Samsung ATIV S into Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, I lost ability to make photos using Microsoft Office Lens and Camera360 Sight, ones of a few lenses that support focus.

Both apps started to show black screen instead of the picture in the view...

Looks like these shoes apps use some old photo API if they detect an obsolete phone like ATIV S.

Once they detect a new phone, they attempt to use some new function calls that are not available in Samsung firmware and display a black screen instead.

I was trying to get Windows Redstone build and converted Samsung into Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

HKLM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL
PhoneManufacturerModelName = 1085_11302

After this change and a subsequent restart I was offered an update to Windows RS build, but the drawbacks were:
? Battery drain increased drastically
? Icons in shortcut menu (quick operations' icons that appears when you slide down the screen) increased in size like if screen resolution dropped.
? Microsoft Office Lens and Camera360 Sight stopped working (black screen instead of real picture)

Looks like the only way to update from Threshold builds to Redstone builds is to convert to Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Single SIM 3G.

Could somebody of you who has got their phone updated to Redstone confirm that they were using RM-1066 in registry?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
By the way, once I've converted Samsung ATIV S into Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, I lost ability to make photos using Microsoft Office Lens and Camera360 Sight, ones of a few lenses that support focus.

Both apps started to show black screen instead of the picture in the view...

Looks like these shoes apps use some old photo API if they detect an obsolete phone like ATIV S.

Once they detect a new phone, they attempt to use some new function calls that are not available in Samsung firmware and display a black screen instead.

I was trying to get Windows Redstone build and converted Samsung into Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

HKLM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL
PhoneManufacturerModelName = 1085_11302

After this change and a subsequent restart I was offered an update to Windows RS build, but the drawbacks were:
• Battery drain increased drastically
• Icons in shortcut menu (quick operations' icons that appears when you slide down the screen) increased in size like if screen resolution dropped.
• Microsoft Office Lens and Camera360 Sight stopped working (black screen instead of real picture)

Looks like the only way to update from Threshold builds to Redstone builds is to convert to Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Single SIM 3G.

Could somebody of you who has got their phone updated to Redstone confirm that they were using RM-1066 in registry?

I upped to 586.29 through the usual channels without messing with the registry. After that, used NOKIA and 640 XL to get to 586.494 and then came 14393.5. Am now at 14393.67. Never used RM-1066.

Sometimes get bizarre behavior from ProShot and Camera360. A black screen instead of an image. Rebooting seems to fix it but don't know what actually causes the problem.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your review. I'd like to know exactly the impact of the brightness bug. As I have understood so far, the related quick toggle does make the lcd panel almost stuck, unless you manage to save it using PC video projection through USB cable. Well, is the auto brightness option not working at all or is that unstable? How often should the brightness be manually adjusted? Maybe the best workaround is to safely delete the buggy toggle using the new RS1 settings and, for the manual adjustments, to pin the brightness settings to start. Isn't it?

Got it installed and everything is working so far. Tried auto backlight but no luck still not working. I also don't think it will be working any time soon but it doesn't bother me that much. Still using ativ as mt daily phone without any problems. I will report back if there will be any bugs.

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the brightness bug: I found a nice workaround. The only Problem with this work around is, that "automatic brightness" doesn't seem to work anymore. I prefer the manual settings anyway.

The workaround basically removes the brightness slider in the settings and adds the basic 4 brightness settings just like phones as the Lumia 730 / 930 have them: Low, Middle, High, Automatic

How to?
1. download the latest InteropToolsApp (arm) and the dependencies (https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g)
2. install the dependencies one by one via the device portal, after that install the InteropToolsApp itself
4. Open it, go to tweaks and enable the brightness slider setting
5. restart the device
6. now open the App and disable the brightness slider setting
7. Restart - Done :)

Now you got the same brightness settings as the Lumia 930 / 730 and no way to get the brightness down to 0% anymore. :)

Edit: For some reason it doesn't seem to work all the time. After the upgrade to .82 it doesn't seem to work. It mostly works on fresh systems - after a hard reset.

Last edited:

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
14393.82 just installed. Screen appears to be bit snappier. Brightness and stock camera focus bug still there. OS still won't read APN from SIM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3