Bricked Samsung ATIV S

Tony Saragosa

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Capture.JPGI have a bricked Ativ S (T899M) due to Installing Win Mobile 10, which seemed to work fine, but I was having issues with text messages, so I decided to restore factory defaults, and it's stuck in an endless boot cycle when booting.
I've successfully reverted to the original factory ROM in the past, however that was when the phone was using the Samsung Windows Phone 8 firmware while running 8.1 through the Developer preview program. I now assume when Samsung officially released 8.1 something has changed which is preventing me from reverting back to the factory ROM. I Can't rule out Mobile 10 did something either though.
Now the problem I believe is with the driver for WP8 download mode, first I started to try to restore the factory rom on my main desktop, Windows 10 X64, but when I saw issues, I moved to my secondary desktop and swapped in clean HDD so I can fool around with different OS's to see if I can get better results.
I install the driver "Samsung Windows Phone 8 IO USB driver", it states it installs, but when I plug in my phone in download mode, the device listed in the device manager is "WP8 USB Downloader" with a yellow exclamation mark (the drivers for this device are not installed)
So I go into the folder where the Samsung driver installer placed the files, and try to install the drivers manually, driver listed as "Samsung Windows Phone 8" it starts to install, then quits with error "The system cannot find the file specified"
I've tried with Windows 7 x86, Windows 8 x86 and x64 on the secondary computer (all clean installs, no other software installed, except other necessary drivers) and my Windows 10 x64 desktop well used.
I've tried with driver signature enforcement disabled, across each OS, with the same result.
Now the odd thing is, the Android download mode driver works perfectly (sort of) it installs when I connect the Ativ S and reads the device and seems to run fine, however, of course the Samsung WP 8 uploader does not see the device to upload the ROM to, Odin doesn't see the device either, not that that's bad a bad thing, other then I guess I can't load the Galaxy S III factory ROM to try and get the phone working again lol.
Any suggestions on how to proceed further? It pretty much seems like a driver issue, if I can get the driver working, I should be able to upload the Factory ROM.
I've attached a picture showing the files I am using, the files were in a zip file that I downloaded from the Samsung GSPN site, which I have access to through work.
I've even went so far as to download the Ativ SE ROM zip file, to see if the drivers are updated for that model, but no luck, same MSI file, same version of files inside.

Last edited:

Tony Saragosa

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Pappale, 3.54 worked perfect, maybe I shouldn't jinx it, it uploaded the firmware and still getting through the OOBE. lol
strange, I figured it was drivers that were the issue, nothing was seeing the device, 3.54 worked first shot, on my Win 10 desktop no less, without any effort

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3