Does Samsung know about your desire for 8.1??

WPLurkerCE

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
As for the features I'd like on the 8.1, I'm totally missing the "swype" keyboard from my old phone. Had this on my droid and used it for years. I find myself swyping only to find I didn't type anything. duh. I also am looking forward to Cortana. I'm sure it will be a thrill for a while, and may fade, but I could really use the personal assistant :) Action Center would be nice to have as well. And last but not least...the better calendar. Right now, the month view is a useless. I really like the Ativ SE but it will be better with 8.1.

wim Z

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Last weekend my Phone was updated by Samsung to WIn 8.1.

First an update to 8.0 immediately followed by 8.1

I only experienced a Certificate issue with Outlook. The rest all seems OK.

daddymanAZ

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Last weekend my Phone was updated by Samsung to WIn 8.1.

First an update to 8.0 immediately followed by 8.1

I only experienced a Certificate issue with Outlook. The rest all seems OK.

Win, can you clarify... Was this on an ATIV SE?? What country are you in and what carrier?

cnacker

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Had a live chat with Samsung today, here is the conversation. Looks like they are pushing it off to Microsoft.

Stacie: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: When is WP 8.1 going to be available for this device?

Stacie: I understand that you are looking for the availability of a service for your device.

Stacie: I will do my best to assist you in this regard.

Stacie: In order to assist you better and to gather information,Please provide me with the model number of your device. It should be found in (Menu>> Settings>> About Device) or you can find it beneath the battery. It generally starts with SPH,SCH,SGH,SM.

Visitor: SM-W750V

Stacie: Thank you for providing the model number.

Stacie: Please be specific with the WP 8.1 you are referring to?

Stacie: I will do my best to assist you with the required information.

Visitor: Windows Phone version 8.1 operating system.

Stacie: Thank you for confirming.

Stacie: I appreciate your intention and curiosity. We at Samsung live chat support do not have the information about the future updates and releases.

Visitor: Who would?

Stacie: Please understand that Microsoft releases new versions for the devices.

Stacie: Also Please understand that we are not aware of the future releases even with the android at technical support.

Visitor: So, how about the firmware for this device to support Windows Phone version 8.1? Microsoft doesn't also release firmware for Samsung devices, do they?

Stacie: Please understand that Microsoft releases the firm ware too.

Visitor: Okay, thanks. I will check with Microsoft.

Stacie: You are welcome.

Stacie: It was pleasure assisting you.

Stacie: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Sean Dailey

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd imagine, as always, that this delay is verizons fault. They probably don't like how the new firmware and wp8.1 work with VZ Nav or some other worthless Verizon app. I really hate Verizon, ever since they never sent wp7.8 to my trophy.

"I hate Verizon." --Louis CK

nicecap

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
No matter whether the incredible long waiting time for an os-upgrade is Verizon's fault or not. I will never ever buy a phone again which is distributed by Verizon exclusively. You cannot rely on statements their sales personal make (on July 19th when I signed my contract they promised the upgrade to 8.1 in 4 weeks). You don't get any support, they do not help you in an issue like this, they just do NOTHING. Which is pretty poor for the most expensive provider around.
I like the phone but without WP 8.1 I miss text swiping, Cortana, Verizon independent Navigation, several 8.1 apps aso. Verizon sucks.
Chris

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Dev Preview of 8.1 installed on my Brand New ATIV SE for 2 weeks now. I installed all updates fresh. Also the latest update last week. Have had absolutely no freeze-ups or had to reboot my device for any reason. No freezing after using making Bluetooth or regular phone calls or using the camera. So far, the phone is working beautifully and super smooth! (Knock on wood!) HUGE upgrade form my Nokia 822. I even added the wireless charging pad from Amazon that is compatible with Galaxy S4. LOVE this phone! Verizon support sucks, but so far the Dev Preview has been nothing but win for me!

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my 8X on the Dev Preview with the Ativ SE - did you do a restore to transfer all of your apps/settings? Can you comment on the order of operations you followed? Did you restore on first setup, then join DP and let it update? Did you just sign-in without a restore, join DP, then reset and restore? Haven't had to migrate phones yet.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I signed in without restore. I installed all the DP updates before customizing the phone to my liking and setting up all my apps and emails. So basically a fresh install from scratch. Thus far its been worth the effort. Zero issues and zero reboots.

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I signed in without restore. I installed all the DP updates before customizing the phone to my liking and setting up all my apps and emails. So basically a fresh install from scratch. Thus far its been worth the effort. Zero issues and zero reboots.

Thanks, that was kind of where I was leaning. So few apps backup their settings / game saves anyway that if I'm going to lose all my progress I don't need to reinstall them right away anyway. What little setup is left I can do on my own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo