Signal not as good with Official Win 8.1 Update

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this with their ATIV SE's with the official 8.1 update, but for me the antenna signal quality has decreased noticeably since after installing the update. While I used to always have at least one bar of service signal at my home and my parent's home, I'm not finding that my ATIV SE more often than not shows zero signal. I'm missing texts and calls all the time now.

In addition, calls are dropping due to the connection on my end all the time, almost during every conversation I have going through certain areas.

I never experienced any of the above issues while i had the Developers Preview of 8.1 installed on the same exact device. I haven't damaged my phone in any way since the install either, which leads me to believe the firmware/software has done something to degrade the reception.

Has anyone else encountered this. If so, has anyone figured out of there is an end user fix that can be applied, or will we have ot wait for an official firmware update?

Any and all info / feedback is truly appreciated. I loved my phone with Developer's Preview 8.1, but it has become almost unusable as a phone since the official update for 8.1 :(

Thank you in advance!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
BUMP. Is no one else experiencing worse signal reception since the upgrade? If not, there is something wrong with the antenna on my phone. My ATIV SE is dropping calls like crazy in places it used to be fine before the official 8.1, and I can barely send texts out from inside buildings anymore due to lack of signal.

Still cant see how it can be hardware issues when the same exact phone was fine before Official 8.1 was installed :(

Erik Sg

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Did you notice it happening immediately after the update? I'm wondering if Verizon happened to make tower changes at around the same time or something.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, I noticed it almost immediately, within hours of using the phone. Also, it seems to be the case no matter where I go in the Southern CA locations I go to. Signal strength has just dropped across the board. Wondering if maybe I should just use my Verizon monthly warranty / Insurance replacement serivce to get a new phone.

-dunn

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed the same behavior on Verizon however mine started with the latest Developers Preview and continued when I rolled back and updated with the Verizon OTA update. I thought it was my SIM card, was going to have our replaced, will let you know how it goes.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the same behavior on Verizon however mine started with the latest Developers Preview and continued when I rolled back and updated with the Verizon OTA update. I thought it was my SIM card, was going to have our replaced, will let you know how it goes.

Dunn, I'd be very interested to know if a new SIM helps. To me this seems like a firmware issue and not hardware since all was well when i was on the DP 8.1 and signal strength was solid as a rock.

I'm going to put in a ticket with Samsung tonight as well.

Please keep us all posted!

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey, PC. Forgive me if you've already tried this method, but I always find that Windows Phone updates tend to work better after you perform a reset once the update is complete. If nothing else you've tried appears to help (battery pulls, taking out then re-inserting the SIM card, etc.), perhaps give a reset a try. It sounds software/OS related, so I don't think you'll need a new SIM card.

Marco Budiono

May 7, 2015
Visit site
A couple of apps just became useless with the Verizon 8.1. For some reason I cant log in through the eBay app and cant send pics via Viber?? Anyone experiencing this?

-dunn

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response, so I replaced the SIM card and there was a difference that lasted for about 2-3 weeks, however it didn't last. Even the difference in those 2-3 weeks wasn't great (where I used to have no bars I now had 1)
I would agree with something about the firmware is causing this.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update. I finally called Verizon and told them about the issue. Since I have the monthly extended warranty / Insurance coverage they shipped me a replacement phone which looked brand new and also had Windows 8.1.1 already pre-installed on it.

The signal is back on par with my original ATIVE SE pre-8.1. Same SIM card and everything. Something about having 8.1 fresh from Verizon seemed to fix the issue for whatever reason. All is working great again (Knock on wood!)

Last edited:

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
In general mine seems to be lower too. More specifically, and annoyingly, the GPS is now unreliable. Ever since downgrading and updating it constantly gets off on parallel streets, and worse, seems to stall out constantly, so HERE thinks I'm not moving for like 30 seconds, then freaks out and recalculates, often thinking I jumped sides of the freeway, which makes it impossible to use on trips. Anyone else having GPS issues?

steve cooper

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up one of these phones.... Can't believe how bad reception is and my GPS does the same thing. I can barely get reception in any buildings whereas my old nokias had strong signals. Would this be covered under Samsung warranty? If not this phone is going on eBay

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb