The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm thinking of selling my SE on eBay, and doing so with W10M still installed. Before I do so, I wanted to consult the brain trust and make sure I was safe erasing my phone, in the event that I sell it. If I do so, will the person who buys it still be able to download insider updates?

Thanks, as always.

The new owner will have to start the process all over again. Install Root Tool, change the device to Nokia, etc. A hard reset removes all the reg edits.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Downloading .71 :)

WilliamI99, let us know what you think of it. I went back to my original ATIV SE Phone with 8.1 Installed on it because WM10 was just too rough around the edges for my tastes. Certain apps wouldn't load, Cortana wasn't as robust, and the phone started rebooting at random several times a day.

A lot to love about 10, but 8.1 is smoother and more stable.

Please keep us posted!

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say Cortana wasn't as robust? I didn't use her a lot (other than reminders here and there) until Christmas when I bought my first Bluetooth equipped car, and now I've been using her a lot but I already had W10 installed so I never got much Cortana experience on 8.1.

Overall, things were pretty good for me on .36. All my apps worked, and at one point I had a few days of excessive battery drain for no apparent reason, but once that went away I was happy. Once I upgraded to .63 I started getting a lot of random reboots as you mentioned.

I bought an Icon on eBay...I don't have a SIM for it yet so I'm still running the ATIV as my daily driver, which I did put back on 8.1 this weekend to get it ready to potentially sell.

I just put .71 on the Icon this morning so we'll see how things go there. So far I'm at least convinced that even if I roll it back to 8.1, Lumia phones are the way to go as they have so many more features that the 3rd party phones don't get. Like Hey Cortana, for one. And I still have haptic feedback which was lost on the ATIV SE w/ W10.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I mean more in her functionality. With 8.1, she would schedule appointments better, and also I could control more of my music playback (Ex: I could actually have her play specific artists and songs), with WM10 I wasnt able to get her to do that. The most important thing though was hands-free calling and texting which seemed to work fine, but it just wasn't as smooth, often commands/responses were delayed, and on certain occasions it just didnt work.

Granted, I'm still on build .36 as I couldn't get the newer builds through The Preview for Developers app for some reason. For now, Im happy sticking with 8.1 until there is a much more solid build available that works with the SE or the Surface Phone comes out (hopefully for Verizon too.)

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I get that. The issues with the hands free calling and texting are some of the same things that were bugging me, I just never knew they weren't problems on 8.1 and assumed it was just limitations of Cortana.

1. When I receive a text and she asks whether I want to read it or ignore it, and I have her read it, and she asks "do you want to reply, or are you done?". If I say "I'm done", sometimes she asks the question again like she didn't understand me, but I can see on the screen that she did. If I say "cancel" (which is the button available on the screen) she'll sometimes get that, or she may re-ask the question yet again until she finally says she's not getting it and to help her by tapping one of the buttons on the screen.

2. I've noticed on .71 that if I answered the same question from above with "reply", she'll ask me who the text message is to be sent to. Obviously it's to the person I'm replying to...unfortunately me switching to a Lumia Icon and build 71 happened simultaneously, so I can't for sure say that it's the build but it seems more likely than being the hardware.

3. When I've composed a text with her and am ready to send, sometimes she'll keep asking me if I'm ready to send it no matter how many times I say "send" or "send it". It's not every time, but when it does happen it's annoying and I have to reach down and tap the send button on the screen.

All this results in having to take my phone out of my pocket so I can access it if needed. I'd rather not have to think about it and be stuck having to dig the phone out of my pocket if Cortana can't figure out what I want her to do.

Overall, not sure if it's enough to roll back to 8.1 (at least I have a Lumia now so I can use the device recovery tool) but we'll see. Hopefully Cortana gets better as they continue to get closer to the public release.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's get back on topic. The thread is a tutorial for getting Windows Mobile 10 on the SE and not a bug reporting forum. There is an appropriate area for that.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Greetings everyone
Here is the latest update since .71
Did not hard reset. I personally have experienced no extra mileage when it come to have to reinstall WM8.1 apps.
Cut to the chase, I had to reinstall WM8.1 apps.
The good, I got more mileage on the previous update as in the apps worked for quite a while. I am keeping less of the old apps so it is really pretty quick to reinstall. The modern apps never are a problem.

I am not upset because it is my silly decision to run NOKIA load on a Samsung.
So just a couple of questions.
have any of you had the reinstall apps issue?
Are you sticking with this as a daily driver for a while like me or no?

Back to sharing my thoughts.
I am not sure at what point do I give up on this experiment. I figured it would be a total bust and i would be going back to WM81 but it actually is much better than I thought. I really don't want to go back to 8.1 after using 10 especially considering the I have 10 on my tablets and PCs. I also don't want to go to another platform but I have no prejudice against them. I feel like these decisions will be brought to head sooner for us Verizon customers. nearest AT&T tower is 35 miles. The closest thing to a real W10 path now as near as I can tell is Nokia 735. 735 seems like a step down? A am afraid that when Surface phone come us Verizon customers will be in the same boat. I hope they don't neuter the protocols and make it a truly un-locked phone but on top of that they would have to have it tested with Verizon. Right now I am just a glass half empty type of guy when it comes to wishing for that to happen.

Best wishes
Bill

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Made the jump last night. Followed the OP, (very well written I might add), and got the initial install done. Didn't think to check the initial build number, but was very impressed.

Not long after the install, got notified of an update, so now I am on .71 . So far I am liking it. Love the new keyboard, especially the new cursor stick. It works wonders for fat fingered people like me.

I do notice just a tiny bit of lag compared to the initial install, but not enough for me to complain. If it means better stability, that is a fine tradeoff.

So far, battery is good, WiFi and cell signal are good (same as what I had in 8.1 leastwise). Apps look good, App store is a little slow at downloading, but that could be my ISP also. Will check speeds at work with our high speed connection. All in all loving W10 so far.

As far as the whole "app gap" thing, I use my phone as a PHONE. If I want to game, I have computers and tablets for that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^That's some awesome feedback. If someone tells you to use a flip phone if you're just interested in a phone, tell them to try texting on T9 keyboard.

One thing not mentioned in the tutorial but it's something I've learned from trial and error, make sure you update all your apps through the Store and then do a SOFT reset.
Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
.71 Performing well. As stated earlier had to reinstall 1/2 dozen 8.1 apps. Not a big deal to me. One thing I try to monitor is GPS Navigation. I have reported before on improvements in GPS only to have to eat my words. Once again I am on the upbeat on GPS NAV. Seems better. I sound like a politician. I find I have better luck if I turn off WIFI. Going back farther than .71 I found if I turned on airplane mode GPS NAV was perfect. (not good for receiving phone calls). With WI-FI and cellular on it sometimes did not track at all. So far with .71 tracking fairly well with WIFI off not so well with WIFI on. Do you think that ATIV-SE not haveing a dedicated OS image vs a ICON image is the reason? My work mate showed me on his Android he had settings in location services that could select GPS, Cellular, WIFI or all three. I would like that feature so I could still get phone calls while Location just uses GPS.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
^^That's some awesome feedback. If someone tells you to use a flip phone if you're just interested in a phone, tell them to try texting on T9 keyboard.

One thing not mentioned in the tutorial but it's something I've learned from trial and error, make sure you update all your apps through the Store and then do a SOFT reset.
Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk

Just out of ccuriosity, why the soft reset? Does that fix something as far as storage space or something? If so, will do that tonight after work.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I thought I would share this with the group here. This will be a bit long, so bear with me:

So a few weeks back I attempted to install W10 on my SE using the intstructions. The install went smoothly, but I had all sorts of problems with the new build afterwards. Internet was spotty, restarts, several key apps simply didn't work at all. So I begrudgingly rolled back to 8.1 and assumed I would have to get a new phone in order to move to W10. I didn't like the SE much with 8.1, largely because it didn't allow me to use only 2 columns of tiles instead of 3, and that made everything SO small. So I went back temporarily to my LG G2 and figured I'd wait until a decent-spec'ed W10 phone came out at a good price. (Damn, why can't we get W10 on a great phone like the G2?)

Anyway, I got a wild hair one day and decided to try switching over from AT&T Straight Talk to Verizon Straight Talk. I occasionally travel to rural areas in Iowa and AT&T coverage is poor there. So I bought a CDMA code and switched back to the SE. I was having problems getting the data to work right, so I figured before I switched back to the G2 I'd give W10 another shot and see if that would help things. I knew from prior experience that I could at least edit the APN settings on W10, something not allowed on 8.1. So I figured why not? Being lazy and not having the slightest bit of confidence that this would work, I decided to skip all of the resets and instead just do the upgrade normally. Much to my surprise, the upgrade went swimmingly, and I was on W10 without having to re-install and re-configure all of my apps.

I've been using it this way for about a day now, and everything seems to be working fine! I even have my 2 columns of tiles back!

So if you're still on 8.1 you may want to give this a try. Just make the registry hack to PFD, change the model to the Nokia RM-927, install the Windows Insiders app, and update away!

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Pulling down the new .107 build right now. Will see how the upgrade goes and if I will need to do a hard reset if I have issues.

Will report back tonight or tomorrow.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update, one issue I do have is that the MS Camera app doesn't work, and I'm unable to set the default camera app to anything else.

Otherwise, I'm loving W10 on this phone!

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that you were able to upgrade by just installing the Windows Insider App, and didn't use the registry hack at !?? If so, that is definitely new!

Yes, it would seem so. My normal procedure is to keep my ear to the ground on Windows Central and when I hear there is a new build for fast ring I set the Keys in the registry to Nokia and RM-927. Once updated I change it back to Samsung and SM-W750V. That is the way I got .71 and all the other builds before. Except of course the original hack. The other evening already at .71 I looked at my phone and it said I needed to reboot for an upgrade, so I rebooted. There was no errors but when it was over I still had .71? I checked and my reg settings were still at Samsung? That was at bedtime. In the morning my phone was at the restart for update screen again. I kicked it over while getting ready for work and I ended up with .107.
Again I checked registry settings and still all stock. I got out my original ATIV-SE that has no SIM and 8.11 and it still says no Builds available so I don't pretend to understand what is going on. I have double checked my registry settings and I will leave them as they are and see if I get the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786