New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Spidey!

When I used the app deploy Spidey provided, I was able to land the samWPSystem.xap successfully. I then continued on and got all the way through step 19. But when I rebooted at step 20, my phone was in a boot loop. It would start and show the blue windows logo and then keep rebooting. I was unable to go any further so i restored back to version 8.

Is that what happened to you Spidey?

Last edited:

chuy10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello;

Can some one please explain how to make the changes in the registry using Interop Tools?; I had to hard reset my phone and interop tools is the only editor I was able to install. If I could only see how to make the "phonemanufacturer" model name.....
Thanks for the help

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Spidey!

When I used the app deploy Spidey provided, I was able to land the samWPSystem.xap successfully. I then continued on and got all the way through step 19. But when I rebooted at step 20, my phone was in a boot loop. It would start and show the blue windows logo and then keep rebooting. I was unable to go any further so i restored back to version 8.

Is that what happened to you Spidey?

Don't know why you people are so messed up while updating to windows 10. I use the old guide and restore to 8.0 and update to Windows 10 evertime with ease. Never had any problem. But the new wpsystem file on this thread is not working for me so i use older file and update without any hassle. I think you should do the same.

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I am good now. I used the version of the APPDeploy mrspidey provided and I was able to deploy the samWPSystem.xap in the download just fine. Now I'm on Windows 10 checking it out. I also unlocked the MMS and Access Point and both of those are working too. So no need for me to follow an older guide. This newer guide is working for me.

On a side note. I did not setup fast or slow ring because I didn't want to take a chance on my wife hard resetting the phone. So I stayed with the preview version. I'm on 10.0.14393.221 now. Interestingly, if I want to change to fast or slow ring, I can't. "Choose your Insider level" shows disabled. That's the only issue I've seen so far while testing.

Thanks again guys for the help!

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello;

Can some one please explain how to make the changes in the registry using Interop Tools?; I had to hard reset my phone and interop tools is the only editor I was able to install. If I could only see how to make the "phonemanufacturer" model name.....
Thanks for the help

Chuy10,
You've got to get the WPHTweaks app installed per the instructions. It allows you to edit the registry. Interop tools just gets you unlocked.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey All of those having troubles,

I just went through the tutorial and all went well. I skipped setting the PhoneModelName to RM-927 and went straight to Lumia 929. It worked fine with no problems. I updated the tutorial to reflect this.

I also started two threads that pertain specifically to Installing InteropTools and Downgrading back to 8.1. I still have plans for moving the Tethering instructions to another thread also but I want to use one tool only. Currently I have the instructions made up using Root Tool and wphTweaks. I may write it using only wphTweaks or maybe InteropTools. Anyone have a preferance? One more note: I still have the instructions for all of these on page one of this thread and will leave them there for the time being. But because they are specific items (not necessary for upgrading to Win10M) I will remove them in the future.

Thanks for your support, All.

- RW

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! That sounds like a good idea to me.

I do see one thing you might have missed. It is underlined below. Also, I will report a few things I have found with build 14393.221 in my next post.

You can be download all the tools needed from here.

Steps to upgrade the Samsung ATIV SE phone to Windows 10, currently, build 14393.82.

Make sure you are on the latest build for Window 8.1.x (Should be 8.10.14219.341 NOTE: This update will happen after following the steps outlined in this thread). If you are still on Windows 8.0.x, you will need to get all the updates to get to the latest build of Win 8.10.x. (Note: I like to reboot the phone in between updates). Also, make sure you have a full battery (the phone will not update if the battery is under 40% charged).

Download all the tools from here.

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Here are the bugs I have found with 14393.221 so far:

I am using a Straight Talk sim which is running on AT&T towers

1 - If I want to change to fast or slow ring, I can't. "Choose your Insider level" shows disabled.

2 - I configured MMS with the correct settings for Straight Talk. MMS is not sending with no errors displayed. If I configure MMS the same way back on 8.1, it works no problem.

3 - In the Windows Store, if I go to Settings and turn off "Update apps automatically when I'm on Wi-Fi" and the next setting "Show products on tile", they get re-enabled on their own.

None of these 3 problems gets fixed with a reboot. Nor do they get fixed if I turn off developer mode. I'm unable to resolve them.

And the last statement is just my preference. If any of the MS folks are reading this... Putting the microphone/dictation key on top of the keyboard in Win10 is a mistake compared to being at the bottom in 8.1. The key is much more difficult to hit while using the phone with one hand than it was before. (No, I wasn't driving.) :)

Thanks rmabwing5 for putting all this together. It was a huge help.

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! That sounds like a good idea to me.

I do see one thing you might have missed. It is underlined below. Also, I will report a few things I have found with build 14393.221 in my next post.

You can be download all the tools needed from here.

Steps to upgrade the Samsung ATIV SE phone to Windows 10, currently, build 14393.82.

Make sure you are on the latest build for Window 8.1.x (Should be 8.10.14219.341 NOTE: This update will happen after following the steps outlined in this thread). If you are still on Windows 8.0.x, you will need to get all the updates to get to the latest build of Win 8.10.x. (Note: I like to reboot the phone in between updates). Also, make sure you have a full battery (the phone will not update if the battery is under 40% charged).

Download all the tools from here.

Thanks all fixed

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Here are the bugs I have found with 14393.221 so far:

I am using a Straight Talk sim which is running on AT&T towers

1 - If I want to change to fast or slow ring, I can't. "Choose your Insider level" shows disabled.

2 - I configured MMS with the correct settings for Straight Talk. MMS is not sending with no errors displayed. If I configure MMS the same way back on 8.1, it works no problem.

3 - In the Windows Store, if I go to Settings and turn of "Update apps automatically when I'm on Wi-Fi" and the next setting "Show products on tile", they get re-enabled on their own.

None of these 3 problems gets fixed with a reboot. Nor do they get fixed if I turn off developer mode. I'm unable to resolve them.

And the last statement is just my preference. If any of the MS folks are reading this... Putting the microphone/dictation key on top of the keyboard in Win10 is a mistake compared to being at the bottom in 8.1. The key is much more difficult to hit while using the phone with one hand than it was before. (No, I wasn't driving.) :)

Thanks rmabwing5 for putting all this together. It was a huge help.

Your welcome.

- RW

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just updated to 14393.221 also, and did a hard reset after. I'm still having issues getting to the photo viewing gallery from the camera app. This problem always occurs with the ATIV Camera app. With the Microsoft Camera App, it only occurs if you dont take a photo first. Otherwise it goes into your past photos immediately. This is an issue I was having with the Threshold 105386 build as well.

Anyone else having this issue? Is there some sort of fix or work around for this Im not aware of? I do store my photos on my SD Card if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Just updated to 14393.221 also, and did a hard reset after. I'm still having issues getting to the photo viewing gallery from the camera app. This problem always occurs with the ATIV Camera app. With the Microsoft Camera App, it only occurs if you dont take a photo first. Otherwise it goes into your past photos immediately. This is an issue I was having with the Threshold 105386 build as well.

Anyone else having this issue? Is there some sort of fix or work around for this Im not aware of? I do store my photos on my SD Card if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Puck,

I too am running 14393.221 on both my daily driver and test phones. On my daily I have a button on the lower right side that takes me to the picture gallery. On my test phone I have this button also but if I tap it, it just states "No Images" (I have no pics on my test phone). I believe this is intentional.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

Hey Puck,

I too am running 14393.221 on both my daily driver and test phones. On my daily I have a button on the lower right side that takes me to the picture gallery. On my test phone I have this button also but if I tap it, it just states "No Images" (I have no pics on my test phone). I believe this is intentional.

- RW

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey Puck,

- RW

When using the ATIV Camera app, there is a photo button in the lower left hand corner that takes you to the gallery. Which I tap this, my screen goes completely blank.

When using the Microsoft Camera app, this gallery short cut is in the upper right hand corner. If I just took pictures, it takes me to the last photo. If I didnt take any photos, again it goes completely blank.

Not sure what the deal is. I feel like there is an issue transitioning to the photo gallery on my phone. The photo gallery sometimes hangs on a completely blank screen when trying to access the app from the Start Tile. I just have to manually close the app, and retry again. I'm starting to think this is an SD card issue. I may try to store photos on the phone instead and see if the behavior improves.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
@RW,

Can I ask the reason for steps 3-5? Just for my own curiosity.

The one who can answer this better than I can is probably Jeemo. My understanding is that you need to be able to allow samWPSystem.xap to unlock your phone. The only way to do that is to remove Call/Message Settings. The only way to remove Call/Message Settings is to fool your phone into thinking it is 100 years old so it sees Call/Message Settings as obsolete.

Jeemo, please correct me if I'm wrong on that assessment.

- RW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel