New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
@rmabwing5

Re: Note: After I reset my phone back to Win 8.1 then re-updated to the latest build of Win10M, I have not been able to make this work again.

FYI...
When I was on 8.1, I went ahead and edited the registry for the hotspot and mms apn items you provided. Then I tested to make sure hot spot was working which it was. I then upgraded to Win10. My registry settings stuck. My hot spot works fine. No issues. (I have not performed a reset while on 14393.351)

Hope that helps.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
.351 is working pretty well so far. .321 was giving me additional battery drain for some reason. Havent had long enough with the .351 to see if it has subsided, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed here. And for the record, for all the good folks on here. I have been winging it without a hard reset since 10586, and been making do. Just to give people hope :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
.351 is working pretty well so far. .321 was giving me additional battery drain for some reason. Havent had long enough with the .351 to see if it has subsided, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed here. And for the record, for all the good folks on here. I have been winging it without a hard reset since 10586, and been making do. Just to give people hope :)

-- W

I was having issues with .321 so I decided to make sure my test phone was working well with the latest Fast Release; it is so I skipped to the Fast Release on my daily driver. The latest Fast Release is 14946.1000, and it works great so far. It's snappy and battery life is great. No issues yet.

Oh, and on a side note; I was also having problems with sending and receiving texts, now I don't.

UPDATE: I had to reset my phone on 10/23/2016 - For some reason I stopped getting texts again. After some research I found out I'm not the only one. So.....I am going back to .351 and see what happens. Hopefully it will be okay.

- RW

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, .351 is working out pretty fine so far for me over here. .321 was starting to crop up issues for me too RW. :) And the 14946 has officially been updated to a 14951 build if I believe right. I have to put my recently acquired 1520 up on it from 14946 too. But I was getting some pretty sweet performance on the 14946.1000 too, almost tempted me into switching to it on my ATIV too, then I thought better of it. For doing it to my daily driver. :p I'm glad your report reposes my faith on the bleeding edge right now. ^_^ :3

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I was having issues with .321 so I decided to make sure my test phone was working well with the latest Fast Release; it is so I skipped to the Fast Release on my daily driver. The latest Fast Release is 14946.1000, and it works great so far. It's snappy and battery life is great. No issues yet.

Oh, and on a side note; I was also having problems with sending and receiving texts, now I don't.

UPDATE: I had to reset my phone on 10/23/2016 - For some reason I stopped getting texts again. After some research I found out I'm not the only one. So.....I am going back to .351 and see what happens. Hopefully it will be okay.

- RW

UPDATE 2: I'm not sure what is going on with my phone. I'm on .351 and still have texting problems. This is my second SIM card so it can't be that. The only time I get or can send texts is after a reboot, and even that is sporadic. Anyone else having issues with texting? By the way, my wife's phone is also on .351 and she has no problems at all.

- RW

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE 2: I'm not sure what is going on with my phone. I'm on .351 and still have texting problems. This is my second SIM card so it can't be that. The only time I get or can send texts is after a reboot, and even that is sporadic. Anyone else having issues with texting? By the way, my wife's phone is also on .351 and she has no problems at all.

- RW
That is the problem with call and message setting app. Do a hard reset and your problem will be resolved.

psanders

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been following this thread, and its predecessor for quite some time. I used the steps outlined here to update my wife and my phone a few months back. Thanks for all the work to get us this far.

My question may have been answered on page 8, but my wife's stopped updating at 10586.545 and mine stopped at 10586.494. I did a hard reset on my phone and re-enrolled in Insider Technical Preview and let it simmer for a couple days. Still no updates. I'm using NOKIA as dev manufacturer, and RM-927 for the two device registry keys. What should I look for next?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been following this thread, and its predecessor for quite some time. I used the steps outlined here to update my wife and my phone a few months back. Thanks for all the work to get us this far.

My question may have been answered on page 8, but my wife's stopped updating at 10586.545 and mine stopped at 10586.494. I did a hard reset on my phone and re-enrolled in Insider Technical Preview and let it simmer for a couple days. Still no updates. I'm using NOKIA as dev manufacturer, and RM-927 for the two device registry keys. What should I look for next?

Make sure you update your registry key for PhoneModelName to Lumia 929, as stated on 16f of the instructions. If you are on Release Preview you should get to 14393.351 (as it stands right now). If you are on Fast Ring you should get to 14946.1000.

After that you might get to 14955 (RS_PRERELEASE); you may get an error.

There is a workaround:
1. Switch your device to the Slow ring
2. Change device date to 7 days in the future (Also, change the month ahead by 1)
3. Check for updates (should say "no updates available")
4. Change device date back to current date
5. Change device back to Fast ring
6. Check for updates

This workaround is per Microsoft; but it did not work for me. I even tried rebooting my phone in between Ring changes.

Good luck.

- RW

psanders

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
RW,

I had thought I carefully set those values, but I did have the Model Name as RM-927 instead of Lumina 929. I changed the values, rebooted, no updates, un-enrolled Insider rebooted, re-enrolled Release Preview, no updates. No updates overnight. This morning I tried slow ring, no luck there either.

I'll go through the instructions again to make sure I'm not spacing something. Another thing I've noticed that isn't a huge concern for me, after my last hard reset with 10586.494, my bluetooth can't pair from the device, but external devices can pair to it. Not wanting to fix that right now, just saying it because its a bug I didn't see posted earlier.

Dieselrod1

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I believe it is Lumia without the"n".
RW,

I had thought I carefully set those values, but I did have the Model Name as RM-927 instead of Lumina 929. I changed the values, rebooted, no updates, un-enrolled Insider rebooted, re-enrolled Release Preview, no updates. No updates overnight. This morning I tried slow ring, no luck there either.

I'll go through the instructions again to make sure I'm not spacing something. Another thing I've noticed that isn't a huge concern for me, after my last hard reset with 10586.494, my bluetooth can't pair from the device, but external devices can pair to it. Not wanting to fix that right now, just saying it because its a bug I didn't see posted earlier.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
RW,

I believe it is Lumia without the"n".

Psanders,

Dieselrod is correct it is Lumia not Lumina. Also, bluetooth shouldn't be a problem. After you restore the phone try the bluetooth before going any further. If it works, great, upgrade using the intructions (16f especially) then try bluetooth again. It should work both directions.

- RW

psanders

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm super dense sometimes. Fixed my poor spelling of Lumia and voila, 14393.351 is downloading. Thanks guys. I'll try and contribute where I can.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm super dense sometimes. Fixed my poor spelling of Lumia and voila, 14393.351 is downloading. Thanks guys. I'll try and contribute where I can.

You're very welcome. That's what we're all here for; to help each other. Have fun with your phone. Take care.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey All,

I just uploaded a hard copy of the tutorial to my Public folder on Dropbox. This way if anyone needs it, instead of logging in here, it's available offline.

- RW

ps. I had to reset my test phone back to 8.1 due to issues I hope Microsoft will iron out (couldn't get back into Insider Preview for starters). I will be updating the tutorial with some screen shots (hopefully). :smile:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
After the lastest Fast ring upgrade on my test phone battery life is horrible. With battery charged 100% and no apps running, it goes completely dead overnight; not even using it. I've tried a soft reset but still no difference.

After I wrote this I checked for another update; there was one, we'll see how it goes.

- RW

David Jewers

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Just looking for some clarification; I used the guide to upgrade to w10 and was using 10586.1007 for a few days. It ran ok but definitely not as snappy as 8.1.. So I rolled back to 8.1 for a bit and then just for fun I upgraded back to 10586.107, then chose slow ring which brought me up to 14xxx.448. .448 seemed to break just about everything, couldn't send texts etc - so as a last resort - even though its stated numerous times in this thread not to hard reset while on W10, I did a hard reset. Presto, everything works perfectly. I'd even say it works better than 8.1, battery life is great, interface is beautiful etc. So my question is as I am now on .448, what specific build am I on (RS, TH1 or 2, Preview)? Obviously I can hard reset on 448, but when can I not hard reset? I am a little confused about how the builds are structured.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Just looking for some clarification; I used the guide to upgrade to w10 and was using 10586.1007 for a few days. It ran ok but definitely not as snappy as 8.1.. So I rolled back to 8.1 for a bit and then just for fun I upgraded back to 10586.107, then chose slow ring which brought me up to 14xxx.448. .448 seemed to break just about everything, couldn't send texts etc - so as a last resort - even though its stated numerous times in this thread not to hard reset while on W10, I did a hard reset. Presto, everything works perfectly. I'd even say it works better than 8.1, battery life is great, interface is beautiful etc. So my question is as I am now on .448, what specific build am I on (RS, TH1 or 2, Preview)? Obviously I can hard reset on 448, but when can I not hard reset? I am a little confused about how the builds are structured.

I haven't performed any hard resets since the last one screwed everything up on me. Maybe .448 you can successfully perform a hard reset but there is one way to be sure everything is okay; check to see if you are logged into your MS account, if not, try to log in; you may find, as I did before, you will not be able to. Hard resetting obliterates things on the phone related to MS login, at least it used to. Check your login and let me know.

Also, 10586 is part of Threshold which MS has now surpassed with the yearly update back in July/August with Redstone. 14xxx builds are part of Redstone. MS is now building Redstone 2 which are also 14xxx builds but higher on the scale. I am currently running 14393.448 (Redstone on Release Preview) on my daily driver and 14965.1001 (Redstone 2 on Fast Ring) on my test phone. My PC is running 14393.447 (Redstone) which is not part of the Insider Preview program. So, as you can see, you are correct; it can be confusing. Slow Ring is like the Fast Ring but you don't get the updates as quickly (more bugs will be removed, for instance, before receiving upgrade) but I believe Slow Ring is also Redstone 2. If you keep in mind the differences in Release Preview, Fast, and Slow Rings you should be okay. I hope I was able to shed at least a little light on it for you.

- RW

David Jewers

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes you did clarify things a bit, thank you.
And yes I can definitely confirm everything is working on .448 after hard reset (that I can see - I never use hotspot so cant confirm that). I am signed into my Microsoft account (Store, Hotmail, calendeder) and no issues; texting/MMS is working, calls and internet is also working.

On a side note: I played with W10 when it first came out with a 635, then a 640, 1520 and Lumia Icon but left Windows Mobile for awhile - It's gotten loads better in my absence.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb