Interested?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just kinda curious: What would it take to get WP Central crowd to consider this over the Surface? I know the Surface is first on the list for those interested in Windows RT or Wondows Pro, but these could be great products from Sammy.

What would get you to at least look?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just kinda curious: What would it take to get WP Central crowd to consider this over the Surface? I know the Surface is first on the list for those interested in Windows RT or Wondows Pro, but these could be great products from Sammy.

What would get you to at least look?
Being that W8 should be the same experience across the board, I guess it boils down to value, not price.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I like the Samsung tablet designs from a professional perspective, but just like the ATIV S they lack personal creativity, so I'm still leaning towards a Surface. But, the Smart PC Pro (terrible name) is something I'd definitely consider buying for users at work.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the surface's smart cover and brand... But the dominating reason is this:

samsung ativ tab
570grams
10.1 inch screen
0.35 inches thick

surface
671.3 lbs
10.6 inch screen
0.37 inches thick

The surface weighs a tiny bit more, is a tiny bit larger... But to me that is worth having a bit more screen space, especially widescreen, because right now I am working off a 12" screen and I like to put word documents side by side while I study so I need that horizontal space to fit both documents. Sorta random.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, the base reason why I was interested in tablets in the first place was the design of Surface, just the general look of the thing and the integrated kickstand + the amazing solution for cover/keyboard.

I'm only getting one to also replace my netbook, so anything without a decent keyboard solution is out of the question for me (And some that have it are still out cos of too big/clumsy keyboard docks).

However, if we were to just consider a tablet itself, sure I could consider the ativ tab, but it would have to cost considerably less for me to consider it over the Surface. And as far as I know, it pretty much costs more.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested, since AFAIK it's only a RT tablet. I'm interested in a Win8 Pro tablet, so it's Surface vs the OEMs that are going to selling Win8 Pro tablets.

I haven't seen any news that Samsung plans a Win8 Pro tablet so far.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the surface's smart cover and brand... But the dominating reason is this:

samsung ativ tab
570grams
10.1 inch screen
0.35 inches thick

surface
671.3 lbs
10.6 inch screen
0.37 inches thick

The surface weighs a tiny bit more, is a tiny bit larger... But to me that is worth having a bit more screen space, especially widescreen, because right now I am working off a 12" screen and I like to put word documents side by side while I study so I need that horizontal space to fit both documents. Sorta random.

Wow, shipping on an almost 700 lb tablet must be a *****...

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
:lol: I hadn't noticed that. I just thought both said grams when I first read it.
:D Yea I must have changed it myself from lbs to grams so I could compare, but I didnt change the sign. I hate having to constantly convert units just to compare specs between products...

I went to Fry's and Windows Store and neither had this tablet available to view. I was tempted to buy the surface but I didn't because honestly I am not sure when I would use it. I could use it to do work on but I think I could type faster and browse files faster on my current laptop so really the only thing I could imagine using the surface for is bringing it on vacations.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
:D Yea I must have changed it myself from lbs to grams so I could compare, but I didnt change the sign. I hate having to constantly convert units just to compare specs between products...

I went to Fry's and Windows Store and neither had this tablet available to view. I was tempted to buy the surface but I didn't because honestly I am not sure when I would use it. I could use it to do work on but I think I could type faster and browse files faster on my current laptop so really the only thing I could imagine using the surface for is bringing it on vacations.

Some Staples stores stock it. FWIW, I looked at the demo model and wasn't impressed. Even discounting the fact that it appeared to be broken within days of release, it also just felt Samsung cheap - lots of plastic and a screen that had the characteristic flexibility that always says poor quality to me. The mechanical Windows button also just seemed both distracting and a bit tacky on a touch screen. While I know it has higher end internals, it conveyed to me really expensive version of a cheap android tablet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs