Omnia W: lame sinal reception?

Mordor2112

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

At my workpalce my carrier's signal strenght is kind of weak anyway so not a big deal, but the point is...why others here don't have to endure the same "one-to-two bar" signal thing like I do?

Comparing among workmates' phones from the same carrier, my Omnia W seems to be the worst against several android phones (Sony, LG...even Samsung for god's sake!) and the iPhone 4S.

And for some reason for the past month at least once a week I get a "Emergency Calls Only" message in the phone tile, so I need to reboot in order to find the network's signal...very weird.

Anyone experiencing anything like this?

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

At my workpalce my carrier's signal strenght is kind of weak anyway so not a big deal, but the point is...why others here don't have to endure the same "one-to-two bar" signal thing like I do?

And for some reason for the past month at least once a week I get a "Emergency Calls Only" message in the phone tile, so I need to reboot in order to find the network's signal...very weird.

Anyone experiencing anything like this?

I get One or Two bar at work when indoors, outdoors things are much better.
Signal strength depends on a few factors
How close is the nearest cell tower to you, who is your carrier ?
Does your work have thick walls or alot of electrical devices ?
Does it happen both indoors or outdoors?

Emergency Call usually happen when your Carrier Network goes down from my exprience or it is a sign that your SIM Card is going bad.

Mordor2112

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I work at an airport and my office isn't in the best place for mobile communications (an IT environment with too many antennas cluttered together just a few meters from our ceiling), so normally ALL carriers get a weaker signal here. Now...your remark about my Sim Card going bad is beginning to sound too familiar. You're like the 3rd person to say this!

Since nobody gets Emergency Only messages but me...I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the Samsung focus flash or Omnia W and I usually get 3 bars at work. 2 bars if I go to the opposite end of the building ( probably has thick concrete walls ) . I get 2 bars where other people get none. Outside I get 5 ( full bars ).

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
have you got the latest tango update + the Samsung firmware update. It is supposed to increase signal strength but it also decreases the battery life a little.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
You may have a bad SIM card, or the contacts in the SIM tray are dirty, or bad. Take the SIM out, clean the contacts with a Qtip soaked in alchohol, and do the same for the SIM tray contacts, if you can reach them.

Mordor2112

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
have you got the latest tango update + the Samsung firmware update. It is supposed to increase signal strength but it also decreases the battery life a little.

Yes, I got some updates from Samsung last week when I plugged it on the PC. I'm not sure whether it's my imagination, but sinal strenght seems a bit better, the only downside is that battery life certainly decreased... :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss