Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. mapexvenus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Yes, I will!

    Anyone else switching networks for this phone?
  2. Dusteater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
    Yes, I will!

    Anyone else switching networks for this phone?
    I will be leaving Sprint for this phone.
  3. Verkunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I was on AT&T with a Focus but they didn't get me my employer's discount and their handling of NoDo caused me to switch to T-Mobile. I like it being faster on 3g but the coverage is absolutely pitiful--this phone is cause enough to switch back!

    Sent using Windows Phone
  4. 3migo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    This has been one of the only times that I've been glad to be on AT&T.
  5. hubgoblin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I'll be switching from Sprint, a Galaxy S2. It's a great phone but I've wanted a WIndows phone for so long now, and this is the one.
  6. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    I would make sure that AT&T has good coverage in the places you spend the most time. Along with their higher prices and smaller selection of phones, VZW has much better coverage than AT&T, one of the reasons I didn't switch. If the coverage works for you, enjoy that new phone!
  7. hubgoblin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    I would make sure that AT&T has good coverage in the places you spend the most time. Along with their higher prices and smaller selection of phones, VZW has much better coverage than AT&T, one of the reasons I didn't switch. If the coverage works for you, enjoy that new phone!
    I've had ATT. For a couple of years, am iPhone. Coverage was very good, especially data. I live in the Bay Area,.we get pretty good coverage from all four carriers.
  8. btbam91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    902 Posts
    Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I live in Los Angeles and I get perfect coverage with AT&T.... except for when the Los Angeles Coliseum is packed with 90000+ fans.

    EDIT: I was in the stands with them.
    Last edited by btbam91; 10-31-2011 at 01:09 AM.
  9. 3migo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Generally, as long as I am in an urban area, that isn't abnormally packed, I will get good reception with AT&T. However if you are on a long road trip, going in areas that aren't densely populated, you will get no service at all.

    I also get poor reception at concerts, and other large events where people are densely packed together.
  10. baseballbert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Very tough call between focus S and lumia 800. Focus has bigger/better screen and more under the hood at 32gb of memory. The 800 is just damn sexy, but has smaller screen and half the memory.

    I'm leaning toward Focus S because I just dig my Focus.
  11. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    Very tough call between focus S and lumia 800. Focus has bigger/better screen and more under the hood at 32gb of memory. The 800 is just damn sexy, but has smaller screen and half the memory.

    I'm leaning toward Focus S because I just dig my Focus.
    You didn't make a good case for the 800... lol ;)

    I'm itching for the Focus S... I need a new WP device, like yesterday!
  12. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hubgoblin View Post
    I've had ATT. For a couple of years, am iPhone. Coverage was very good, especially data. I live in the Bay Area,.we get pretty good coverage from all four carriers.
    Yah, should of said VZW had better coverage for me. Too bad, ATT has an enviable selection of Windows Phones!
  13. trivor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    I would make sure that AT&T has good coverage in the places you spend the most time. Along with their higher prices and smaller selection of phones, VZW has much better coverage than AT&T, one of the reasons I didn't switch. If the coverage works for you, enjoy that new phone!
    Don't ever switch for hardware - when you lose coverage that shiny new phone isn't going to be much good. I travel A LOT and Verizon is the only carrier for me (nobody even comes in a close second). In my home town when I don't travel Verizon is the only one with good coverage. I'm not holding my breath for a new WP7 on Verizon and I blame MS for that, not Verizon (18 mos old hardware with the Trophy is not going to hack it!!!). It will be Android or iOS for my next phone (going to miss WebOS on my current phone - I think WP7 and WebOS currently have the same market share - not good for WP7).
  14. Dusteater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    Don't ever switch for hardware - when you lose coverage that shiny new phone isn't going to be much good. I travel A LOT and Verizon is the only carrier for me (nobody even comes in a close second). In my home town when I don't travel Verizon is the only one with good coverage. I'm not holding my breath for a new WP7 on Verizon and I blame MS for that, not Verizon (18 mos old hardware with the Trophy is not going to hack it!!!). It will be Android or iOS for my next phone (going to miss WebOS on my current phone - I think WP7 and WebOS currently have the same market share - not good for WP7).
    Why do you blame Microsoft for that? It is up to VZW to get new phones. It is pretty obvious both VZW and Sprint could care less about their customers, and also they are both getting paid off by Google. Also, I travel alot as well, and that is why I am switching from Sprint to AT&T, because you get very limited selection on both CDMA carriers for global roaming. Every single AT&T phone works around the world, I'd say that is better coverage than either VZW or Sprint.
  15. xoted's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusteater View Post
    I will be leaving Sprint for this phone.
    Same here.
    Just decided today :)
  16. Michael-Dallas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Get the Focus S now and you may be missing out on some LTE love...

    Michael.
  17. hubgoblin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas View Post
    Get the Focus S now and you may be missing out on some LTE love...

    Michael.
    Eh. ATT's LTE is going to roll out pretty slowly. You have a much better shot at getting good 4G "lite" coverage over the next two years than you do proper LTE.
  18. 3migo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    Very tough call between focus S and lumia 800. Focus has bigger/better screen and more under the hood at 32gb of memory. The 800 is just damn sexy, but has smaller screen and half the memory.

    I'm leaning toward Focus S because I just dig my Focus.
    I'm most likely going to get the Focus S now, and then once Nokia hits the US, sell the Focus S to get a Nokia device.

    Although now I'm going to have a tough decision to make on Sunday, now that the BB bold 9900 is being released along side the Focus S... Both incredible devices.
  19. Peter McCain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    I will leaving Sprint too. But i hate that there is no unlimited data plan available on at&t.
    Faster data speeds is a plus, and better wp selection is the huge plus.
    Tired of the android ****.
    but should i buy off contract? and maybe wait for nokia to arrive??...
  20. Peter McCain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    the bold 9900? this is the same as the 9930 in Sprint, that has been out for months?
  21. 3migo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter McCain View Post
    the bold 9900? this is the same as the 9930 in Sprint, that has been out for months?
    Yes. AT&T has held it back and called for "hardware and software revisions" from RIM. Apparently they finally got what they wanted, and it will FINALLY be available for purchase on November 6th on AT&T. Pretty pathetic how long it took them and how many customers they lost to Verizon because of the delay.
  22. Dusteater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter McCain View Post
    I will leaving Sprint too. But i hate that there is no unlimited data plan available on at&t.
    Faster data speeds is a plus, and better wp selection is the huge plus.
    Tired of the android ****.
    but should i buy off contract? and maybe wait for nokia to arrive??...
    Well, a few things. It looks like Sprint is about to end unlimited data anyways. So I wouldn't stay on Sprint for that.

    And just my opninion, but I will buy on contract and just wait it out. Look at it this way, there is always going to be something new coming. Just think, in two years, you can get a Nokia with the higher resolution screen that spec that is coming, etc...
  23. 3migo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusteater View Post
    Well, a few things. It looks like Sprint is about to end unlimited data anyways. So I wouldn't stay on Sprint for that.

    And just my opninion, but I will buy on contract and just wait it out. Look at it this way, there is always going to be something new coming. Just think, in two years, you can get a Nokia with the higher resolution screen that spec that is coming, etc...
    The sooner you use your upgrade, the sooner you get your next upgrade.
  24. Dusteater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    644 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3migo View Post
    The sooner you use your upgrade, the sooner you get your next upgrade.
    Ohh, that explains why moms account said she was due for an upgrade about 1.5 years after getting her Focus. I was wondering about that.

Posting Permissions

";