Tech Specs

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So, this device looks pretty amazing. I'm a current iPhone user who wants to jump ship. Quick question about the hardware. Any idea if the Focus S has a notification LED? I'm new to Windows devices, so I'm not really familiar with whether or not most of them have the notification light. Thanks. Looking forward to joining the community.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the HD7 may have shown off a notification light, I'm not sure because I don't have that phone. But, there could very well be a notification light on this phone but as of right now we know very little about it. The biggest thing to look for is when Samsung posts up the owner's manual for it on their support website. Look through that and actually it should be on the very first pages where it shows what the things on the phone are (i.e. here is the power switch, here is the camera, etc.).

But, as a former Blackberry user I must say sometimes the notification light was a pain. It always blinked and I thought 'Oh I have a missed call or text' but in actuality it was flashing because an app needed updating or facebook reply (which I could care less about) or for an email (which I also could care less about). If there was a way to customize it so it only blinked when there was a missed call or text then that'd be great. But so far not even Blackberry (the king of notification light in a way) hasn't made that adjustment at least for free. There are apps you have to buy that can make the necessary changes.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
But, as a former Blackberry user I must say sometimes the notification light was a pain. It always blinked and I thought 'Oh I have a missed call or text' but in actuality it was flashing because an app needed updating or facebook reply (which I could care less about) or for an email (which I also could care less about). If there was a way to customize it so it only blinked when there was a missed call or text then that'd be great. But so far not even Blackberry (the king of notification light in a way) hasn't made that adjustment at least for free. There are apps you have to buy that can make the necessary changes.

Yes, there is an app called BeBuzz that allows the user to customize what the LED will blink for, and what color it will blink in for each style of notification.

But I do not believe the Focus S will have a notification light, no WP7 devices so far (at least to my knowledge) have had a notification light.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
The Arrive (at least) has a LED notification light, but it's not supported by the OS, so it's uncontrollable and I believe it only blinks green for missed calls (well, in addition to blinking orange for low battery, staying solid orange while charging, and staying solid green when charging is complete).

I just looked at pictures of the Focus S and it looks like there are 3 circles to the right of the speaker grill, so I'm not sure.

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I think the Trophy has a notification light, but I'm not sure. I also saw the circles next to the speaker grill, but it's hard to tell what's a light sensor and what's a LED. I'm really hopeful, but we'll see soon, I hope.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hm. I hadn't noticed those two dots before. One of them is certainly the light sensor, but it's possible that both of them are; the iPhone 3GS used 3 dots for the light sensor.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually I believe all first gen HTC devices have notification/charge status lights. And yes, they only blink green for missed calls. Nothing else.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is an app called BeBuzz that allows the user to customize what the LED will blink for, and what color it will blink in for each style of notification.

But I do not believe the Focus S will have a notification light, no WP7 devices so far (at least to my knowledge) have had a notification light.

Yeah, I have yet to pay for an app. I just think that something like that should just be a standard. Not something you should have to pay to make it useable.

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

the Titan does, as you can see in this picture from the Engadget review: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/titan2011-10-11800px-17.jpg

i think there was another review of the Titan where the reviewer mentions it off-hand, but i can't remember which.

i'm unsure on the colors (if any other than the red pictured)/what it will blink for/setting/etc., as i'm waiting for it to come to AT&T so i can decide between it and the Focus S!

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah - the anxiety is killing me. If this phone has a LED light that can be customized, it would literally be a dream phone. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Guess I'll have to wait for the hands-ons and reviews that will inevitably pop up this week.

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, from the hands-on video that was posted, it doesn't look like there's an LED notification light.

Hmm. I watched it, but still noticed those circles towards the top. I can't tell if those are all light sensors. To me it seemed like there could definitely be a light, but I'm unsure. Maybe it's just optimist in me!

What made you feel it doesn't have a light?

Outside of the question of a notification LED, the rest of the tech specs on this device look awesome.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
What made you feel it doesn't have a light?
I don't think it does because I think the device is plugged in, but I didn't see a light indicating it's charging or fully charged (like the HTC phones do). Until we get to see it, there's always a chance, but it seems less likely to me. That said, yeah, it looks like a nice device anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos