peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I know its been mentioned a couple times on here, but does anyone know what's up with the lagging? I went to 2 different AT&T stores & both phones had a noticeable lag when typing. My old Focus does NOT do this, it's smooth & super responsive.

I mean, I want the phone but that's something I really wouldn't be able to get past. I wonder if the phone is doing something in the background to bog it down? Maybe a software glitch?? I know its got plenty of horsepower, so that couldn't be it. Ideas??

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be two types of lag with the focus s. There is an overall lag to the phone when it's plugged in, and then there is the typing lag, which is present whether the phone is plugged in or not. I think the op is referring to this second lag.

Yes, it's a bit annoying, and it's only noticeable when you speed type, but I've started to get used to it. I don't type many essays on my phone however ;-)

That said, as i was typing this post out, it was quite annoying...

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be two types of lag with the focus s. There is an overall lag to the phone when it's plugged in, and then there is the typing lag, which is present whether the phone is plugged in or not. I think the op is referring to this second lag.

Yes, it's a bit annoying, and it's only noticeable when you speed type, but I've started to get used to it. I don't type many essays on my phone however ;-)

That said, as i was typing this post out, it was quite annoying...

Thanks. Yes, that was exactly what I was referring to. I knew about the "plugged in lag", so I tested both phones unplugged while typing a basic text message out to test. A noticeable lag on both of them & I felt I had to slow down so it could keep up, whereas my old Focus would let me hammer out text as fast as I wanted.

P.S. This was just normal fast typing. No insane speed typing or anything like that.

randywintle

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed any lag. Some lag with the clicking sound , but not the actual typing. I consider myself a pretty fast typer too.

dragonfire6

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

1. Key presses have a lag to them and I haven't heard anyone say they DON"T have the key press lag, which I'm hoping is a good thing because a fix should get pushed out to all phones. I also have a lag with lock/unlocking the phone. I don't remember if the Focus and HD7S had the lock/unlock delay but I'm guessing they probably don't either.

2. Plugged in, the phone acts funky and I don't know what the deal is with it. My old Captivate did the same exact thing so it could be a Samsung thing.

3. My S absolutely flies when it is unplugged without the slightest hint of lag and I am referring to hyper fast insane speed typing.

muffinsniffum

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine is amazingly fluid, etc., when unplugged and "gummy" when plugged in. Sometimes the gumminess persists after unplugging and goes away when I reboot. I can't exactly understand why this would be so. Firmware?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The click sound when I text lags. I texted on my gf's focus and the click sound kept up with every press.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
does this plugged in lag effect scrolling text on the screen? I noticed this when i scrolled in the browser. I thought my eyes just didnt like AMOLEDS or something.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
when you say lag effect, do you mean image ghosting/blurring, or input latency?

well,I noticed when I scrolled in the browser, the text became fuzzy until the scrolling slowed down. I was wondering if this was the effect of being plugged in (what people were reporting anyways), or something else. Maybe it was just my eyes and AMOLED technology. My friend couldn't see the same effect.

Ive used many phones while plugged in before (not AMOLED's though) and never seen that before.

tpitts15

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Same issue but on Focus 1st Gen

I have the same problem but on my 1st Gen Samsung Focus...out of the gate it was not a problem but after I believe the NoDo update, the key tone cannot keep up with my rate of typing. It has a maximum speed and if i typed faster than that, the key tone just goes of at a steady interval. It's strange but i just turn off the key tone and it doesn't bother me.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've started noticing a problem where the phone will lag while, say, browsing the net. I'll go to hit the Windows key, it'll "freeze up" and when it finally comes to, it acts like the windows key press was a long press and will launch TellMe. Anyone else experience this?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've started noticing a problem where the phone will lag while, say, browsing the net. I'll go to hit the Windows key, it'll "freeze up" and when it finally comes to, it acts like the windows key press was a long press and will launch TellMe. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I started noticing this yesterday. I'm almost certainly switching to the titan on Sunday...

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I started noticing this yesterday. I'm almost certainly switching to the titan on Sunday...

Do AT&T Exchanges go pretty smooth? I ordered this phone last week online and will be looking at the Titan on Sunday at my local store.

I'm BRAND NEW to AT&T as of last week. I know with Sprint I didn't have any problems exchanging online purchases in physical stores. These bugs are annoying as heck. I swore before I'd think twice about buying Samsung devices before, but saw this and fell in love with it online.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I went into the at&t store the other day to check out the headphone jack on the android version of the focus s, and while i was there asked about exchanging my phone for the titan(or any other phone). He said as long as I had the box and contents, the phone was in working order, and it was 30 days since purchase, it would only be a $35 dollar restocking fee. Sounds fair to me. I'm not sure if this would apply to you since you ordered the phone online. Maybe you would have to mail it back in to return it?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh heck! I just looked at my receipt from the online purchase and it said I can return/exchange it at an AT&T owned store. Brrr...duh! Just been very nervous with this switch to AT&T only because I had been with Sprint for 10 years. Not sad that I made the change though...so far. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills