Best Buy sales guy was clueless

mdrapps

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today to look at the new Focus S. The sales guy was completely unaware Samsung has new Windows Phone. How sad. I guess I dont blame him as the Samsung WP7 advertisements have been either bad or non-existent. (of course the Android galaxy 2 ads are everywhere).

Sorry, just frustrated. My apps need more downloads.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
At least the gal at BB in my area knew it seemed like the Galaxy SII, though BB didn't have it in stock at that point.

Though, TBH, the people they hire for the mobile department are probably paid to be clueless. I'm sorry, it's just what I think after dealing with several area BB stores for too much.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep things in perspective. Most of the salespeople at BB are young kids. They sell phones for ATT, Verizon, and Sprint. Are you really going to knock them for not knowing every single phone out there? Especially one that just came out a couple weeks ago? I go to BB expecting to know more than the people working there as I read up on a product before I go looking at it. You're better off going to an ATT store. If they don't know about the product THEN you can rag on them. **** they only have 30 or so phones so they should know about all of them!

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep things in perspective. Most of the salespeople at BB are young kids. They sell phones for ATT, Verizon, and Sprint. Are you really going to knock them for not knowing every single phone out there? Especially one that just came out a couple weeks ago? I go to BB expecting to know more than the people working there as I read up on a product before I go looking at it. You're better off going to an ATT store. If they don't know about the product THEN you can rag on them. **** they only have 30 or so phones so they should know about all of them!

Let's continue the perspective.

That's their ONLY job. To sell phones, preferably new ones.

It's not that hard, and in my admittedly limited experience at retail, extremely boring. Do something useful with that time. Familiarize with the devices they are pushing to customers. There are nearly all working demo units nowadays, not an excuse. It's not like they cannot even just periodically check up on sites like Engadget for new phones comming down the docks.

penetronn

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not just their mobile department. BB sales reps are some of the worst in the business IMO. I've personally witnessed them saying things like "You can only get HD with an HDMI cable" and "Monster HDMI cables will give you the best quality signal." Sadly most people don't have a clue about the difference between analog and digitial signals, and BB rep makes the sale of a $100 cable.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Let's continue the perspective.

That's their ONLY job. To sell phones, preferably new ones.

It's not that hard, and in my admittedly limited experience at retail, extremely boring. Do something useful with that time. Familiarize with the devices they are pushing to customers. There are nearly all working demo units nowadays, not an excuse. It's not like they cannot even just periodically check up on sites like Engadget for new phones comming down the docks.

You've been out of retail too long my friend. These are kids with a PART-TIME job with most of them going to School. This isn't their lifelong career and they didn't major in cell-phone sciences. It's hard enough to find an AT&T rep who knows their own products, let alone high school and college kids to know about THREE carriers and all of their associated products. If you actually think you're going to get good cell phone advice from Best Buy then you will be seriously disappointed and frustrated. But hey, that's why you come here, so you can get all the information you need from people who actually know and use the devices.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well if BestBuy is not supplying their sales associates with a circular listing new phone releases in-store each week, then poo on them. You can't sell what you don't know. So unless these kids are working straight salary, and don't give a crap about selling 1 or a 100 phones a week, its incumbent on them to at least be somewhat informed. Not expecting them to be experts in all things. But reading the little cards next to each displayed phone is not that hard. And their memory retention is a lot better than mine.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok seriously, why would you buy your phone from BB anyways, let alone expect detailed information about a fringe platform (sad but true)? They are a "jack of all trades - master of none" of cell phones.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably depends on where you live, I guess. Only college in this area isn't that great of a community college, not to mention, you only have to talk to many of these people to realize they are not too smart, and aren't going anywhere. Not to be mean, of course. Maybe on university avenue, lol, but aren't those then intelligent people wh want to shine? No excuse for ignorance and still acting knowledgeable. That's as bad as the blind leading the blind.
You've been out of retail too long my friend. These are kids with a PART-TIME job with most of them going to School. This isn't their lifelong career and they didn't major in cell-phone sciences. It's hard enough to find an AT&T rep who knows their own products, let alone high school and college kids to know about THREE carriers and all of their associated products. If you actually think you're going to get good cell phone advice from Best Buy then you will be seriously disappointed and frustrated. But hey, that's why you come here, so you can get all the information you need from people who actually know and use the devices.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes