Samsung Focus S problems and my Mango experience...

heda_p

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
4 days old device, first time WP user, I am going to return my Samsung Focus S device, lets see why... (appreciate your comment if you see i missed something and yet to be explored)

Issue 1:
If you connect wired headset (without microphone version) than other party cant hear your voice....this is true for Samsung Focus S only (working as expected on Focus and Titan I tested in AT&T store)

Here is the simple steps to reproduce issue...
1. Take any wired headphone without microphone functionality
2. Connect to phone
3. Place a call and you will notice other party is not able to hear you....

Issue 2:
Battery issue, this is a true thing after struggling for last 3 days with battery life today isearched on internet if others are facing same issue and apparently several people are facing this issue....some are lucky when they got battery life after removing battery for 5 second and putting back helps others are not that lucky

Issue 3: Camera Button
this is serious design flaw AFAIK whenever I am trying to use one hand operation camera button keep getting clicked because of its location on side....not sure why button is not placed on top of phone (Titan has same issue though I tried with my palm and due to bigger screen size I am not touching caera button easily, so better)

Issue 4:
Bluetooth 2.1 this is lacking some key features compare to Iphone, Iphone has bluetooth 4 now, c'mon bluetooth 3.0 is standard now a days....

Issue 5:
you want to buy "drop insurance", device is superlight/smooth/great looking yet tough.....though it slips from hand pretty easily (one hand operation) and I dropped it couple of times in 3-4 days, thus be careful....

Issue 6:
My 4G experience is not that steller, especially when i commute through caltrain there are several places where its just drop and keep searching (iphone 3GS has same issue but i checked with iphone 4 and android phone users and they dont see disconnection, maybe AT&T issue but than Iphone 4 is working fine), used wifi tethering to my win 8 acer w500 and it was fine except some disconnections as mentioned above

Speed is 3 MB normally mostly which is pretty good but not what agreed (14.4 MBPS) and I live in 4G coverage area....

Two windows mango issue to consider...

Issue 1:
Video playlist is not supported, I found a hack and used podcast to create video playlist functionality, though it keeps playing videos in only one by one sequence.....very limited and troublesome work....was surprised to see this behavior, how come no reviewer mentioned it.....Without video playlist zune exp is very bad as i have more than 600 of my favourite music videos....waiting hard to get video playlist works normally

Issue 2:
Bluetooth support, MS lacks big time in this area, when video is playing there is no way to switch output to bluetooth/speakerphone, if you have multiple BT headsets than no way to select on phone which one should take sound control (its possible through BT headset, but than how to transfer sound to phone speakerphone?)

Issue 3:
in browser there is no fwd button, you can go back to previous page ot previous tab but couldn't found a way to do fwd functionality (no big deal and here i am not sure whether i have explored this secion very well), just to be clear other than this browser implementation is at its best, IOS doesn't even come close to it, not sure on android though I tested on AT&T and while opening pages of multiple sites and IE opened these sites pretty faster...and page rendering is super smooth (other day i forgot that i have laptop in front of my eyes and keep browsing on phone)

If you can live with above than phone itself is amazing very very sleek and very very light, WP7 mango experience is fantabulous and there no way to even consider iphone/android anymore for me....Last 3-4 days every day I found something new and beautiful features making my experience smoother and smoother and smoother.... fun part is after I configured it properly now i use that i meeting and seems many people got interested and asking me if I recommend to by WP7 (ofcource yes, not many people are as advance as me thus they should be okay with missing these features, but for me these are key features)

Anyway I played today with Titan and its hack of a beautiful device, bit heavy but I guess if battery works for a day than I am fine and I am heavy user....and 4.7 inch screen is just wonderful one hand control experience was pretty good...I am going with Titan....

Prakash
These thougts are no means to suggest WP mango is inferior to Android or IOS....other than above issues in every other department WP7 has super smooth experience and much better implementation than rival OS's....some of the key areas in terme of user experience you will just love this OS and found no replacement in rival os's...Mango is practically super intelligent in implementating most ay 2 day tasks (I personally still like google for search than bing, and IOS Siri than any other voice implementation, apps are less on mango though i found all of the needed ones available)

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Issue 3:
in browser there is no fwd button, you can go back to previous page ot previous tab but couldn't found a way to do fwd functionality (no big deal and here i am not sure whether i have explored this secion very well), just to be clear other than this browser implementation is at its best, IOS doesn't even come close to it, not sure on android though I tested on AT&T and while opening pages of multiple sites and IE opened these sites pretty faster...and page rendering is super smooth (other day i forgot that i have laptop in front of my eyes and keep browsing on phone)

For forward click on "Recent" and you will see the link.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The Focus S camera button (all WP7) is a two stage button, while it clicks the first level, it doesn't actually do anything (unless if you are in the camera app, in which case, it focuses/meters depending on your settings). Though the userbase here seems split on whether the camera button protrudes too much and is too easy to hit.

randywintle

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting the issues you are seeing.

I get at least 12 hours of battery with heavy use...

I have only opened the camera app by accident once since owning the phone on release day, and that was yesterday.

StealthCrawler

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Another issue : I posted a separate thread for it too. But posting again here.
The Focus S can only do 9 background apps instead of the 15 that the original Focus was able to do. So I went to the ATT store to check out what’s really going on with this problem. We pulled out a new Focus S and installed mango enabled apps on it…And voila !!. That has the same limit of 9 background apps as mine. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that either Samsung or Microsoft has imposed this limit on the either the focus S or all new mango phones. If someone can check out an HTC phone, that’ll probably answer that question. But either ways, it’s a bummer. It’s a big shame that old phones can run 15 and the newer ones can only do 9. You’d think it’d be the other way round. Anyways, I’m gonna return this one. The old focus will have to work for now.

heda_p

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Update: I just got Titan and like it very much....compared to focus S, this looks pretty elegant and secure to hold for one hand access....I tested running several video's side by side opening web pages zoomed them to see if I can see some pixalization...but device was as good as need to be, there is an extra blue shade on focus s which makes sky looks better blue, though its customization diff....Titan camera is better....pictures are natural looking....frankly i couldn't see noticable diff between supermoled+ vs super LCD, though Titan was very bright compared to Focus S, which is good for daylight

Prakash

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills