Battery Life

K1NJO

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I was wondering what type of settings you have on your phones. After a full charge, I had left my phone untouched while at work. When checking my phone around 9 hours later, I was down to about 21% from doing nothing. WiFi and bluetooth were off. Are there any other settings that should be turned off?

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
that's interesting... 9 hours after (with moderate usage), i still have at least 70%. (i played some music, some games, tweeted, facebooked, surfed on the net with both 4g and wifi on, and im also currently using the light theme)
turning off Feedback in Settings and some background tasks that you will not need might help.

chuchnit

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just on my third full charge when I unplug this morning. Yesterday was my busiest day using the calender, web, etc. I made it until ~7pm or so until it was 8% battery. I had wifi on all day too. So far this phone is on par with the Titan after it had went through a few charging cycles. I do have three apps updating the live tiles in the background, wifi on all day, and three email accounts set to update every half hour.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I was wondering what type of settings you have on your phones. After a full charge, I had left my phone untouched while at work. When checking my phone around 9 hours later, I was down to about 21% from doing nothing. WiFi and bluetooth were off. Are there any other settings that should be turned off?

If this keeps happening, there's something wrong with your phone/battery. WP7 doesn't use much battery when idle. It doesn't have runaway applications in the background like Android. Do you have a really weak signal in your office? That can cause battery issues. Still, you shouldn't have drained that much in such a short time.

K1NJO

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If this keeps happening, there's something wrong with your phone/battery. WP7 doesn't use much battery when idle. It doesn't have runaway applications in the background like Android. Do you have a really weak signal in your office? That can cause battery issues. Still, you shouldn't have drained that much in such a short time.

That's what I was wondering too. Signal might be a little weak since it's kept in a locker the whole day. I don't remember having issues with my other phones in the same place.

Does the location setting have any affect?

Could it be that it's constantly searching for a signal? I have also done a few full charging cycles when I first got the phone.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was wondering too. Signal might be a little weak since it's kept in a locker the whole day. I don't remember having issues with my other phones in the same place.

Does the location setting have any affect?

Could it be that it's constantly searching for a signal? I have also done a few full charging cycles when I first got the phone.

It could be, but even then, I doubt it would drain your battery that fast. A weak signal merely CONTRIBUTES to battery drain, it doesn't usually drain it that fast.

The real test would be how long it lasts in standby when it's in an area with a strong signal. I, personally, have had no issues with my battery draining like this and I have had it since launch. I have been in places with very poor signal strength.

ScubaSteve2

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Are you on a MicroCell. I had a very similar issue with battery drain issues when I was at work because my phone was connected to an ATT microcell. It would lose almost 10% of battery life an hour while just sitting idle. Ever since I removed my phone from the MicroCell, the battery life has not been an issue.

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I do not have a Focus S. Still using my original Focus, but when I see battery issues it always make me wonder about the "Now" app. As much as I like Samsung's two tile weather/news app it just demolishes my battery life. I've tried each update and the problem remains. Once I remove it battery life returns to "normal."
By the way, also have a Microcell and don't have any issues with it negatively affecting my battery life.
El Mono

K1NJO

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a Microcell. Today, I was off from work so the phone was barely used at all. Full Signal at home and mostly on standby, the battery life was around 65% remaining after about 10 hours.

Some questions that I have for everyone...

How long does it take for a full charge from near empty?
After the full charge, how many "Estimated Hours Remaining" show up in battery saver?

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll say that under moderate usage, in general, I get about two days or easily 1.5 on my phone. I will say that cause its a samoled+ screen that you want to use the dark background as it saves battery life, definitely turn on battery stretch because for me, it does seem to increase battery life a little

fishpunk999

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My battery drains relatively quickly when the phone automatically updates for emails. You might try changing the update time for how often it does this, or turn on battery saver so that it doesn't do it unless you ask. This made my battery drain MUCH more slowly.

itssimplyjeff1

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
the battery on my phone is awesome. I have 45% left and the last charge was 17 hours ago. this includes about 1hr talk time, txting all day, and emails every 30 minutes.

when i first got the phone i used to have issues with battery, but you have to do a couple of things. turn location services off, and only turn it on when you need them. turn off ANY feedback settings. having it on constantly makes your phone send information out to microsoft, and its just a waste of battery. also if you turn off the key vibration feedback[for search and home] along with making a noise when you type, then you should save a lot of battery power.

K1NJO

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I think I figured it out. I noticed that my screen timeout wasn't working. This was due to my Case-Mate causing the camera button to remain half-pressed all the time. Because of this, the screen wouldn't timeout, and it also was the reason for my battery draining too fast.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Service definitely effects battery life. And I believe the MicroCell can effect it as well as I get better battery life when at work (no MicroCell) than I do at home (MicroCell).

mYth

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Service definitely effects battery life. And I believe the MicroCell can effect it as well as I get better battery life when at work (no MicroCell) than I do at home (MicroCell).

Yep, when you have poor service your phone is always looking for better service to get you the best bars possible.
When its at full or close to, it doesn't look as hard because you already have good reception.

My battery drains so fast at work because i have constant bad reception.
Plus a few other things haha. I like to push my phone to the limits.

Is microcell like wifi? do you have to turn anything on to pick up the signal? I don't see why it would effect it if you don't.
If it does, then yeah.

llee55

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Focus S and I have to charge it 2-3 times w/in 24 hours:( I'm not very happy about that? Any suggestions. I'm not even a heavy user. I don't talk on phone much I mainly use it for texts and some times to check email. I don't surf the web at all on it and don't listen to music etc. I'm not sure if there is some sort of setting I should change or what to get better battery time? I thought my Motorola Bravo was bad:( This phone is even worse....I do like a lot of other things about the phone, but not sure if I want to keep it because of the battery being so crappy.

armedtank

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I too have pretty poor battery life, but I'm sure it's because I'm connected to a MS Exchange server for corp email. With little to no use, I MIGHT make it 5 or 6 hrs on a full charge. If I'm sending and receiving alot of emails and doing a little browsing, I can kill the phone in 2hrs flat. I've never had a phone that gives decent battery life connected to Exchange, so I'm always plugged in. Just something I've learned to live with regardless of phone or OS....

khalnayak

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even i have found a no of people saying that the battery of the Samsung Focus S 4G is poor but then here are some applications that can help you out to keep the track out the battery usage and save it as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss