Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

A website that I've lost all respect for as of a few years ago, if i ever did have it in the first place, is CNET. They, at one point, listed the Focus S as one of the top 5 smartphones, but then went on to demean the device by suggesting that it is fragile, simply because it is light. Jessica Dolcort who did a full review stated, "...it feels a little insubstantial, and I'm unconvinced of its ability to sustain casualties from butterfingers' repeated drops." I also saw similar comments from I believe Molly Woods, but cannot seem to locate them at this point. I took exception to their review when I saw it mentioned on WPCentral because I though that in the absence of historical data suggesting high failures due to drops, CNET's assertion is entirely baseless and irresponsible.
    Well, today I dropped my beloved Focus S, totally by accident mind you, from just above waist height. I accidentally pulled it out of my cycling jersey pocket, and it fell on fairly rough asphalt and then rolled and slid several feet. I took it up, turned it on, and there wasn't a single crack or scratch on the screen. After a quick inspection I identified, due to a telltale dent and related gouges, that the lower right edge took the brunt of the impact . Other than that, it's in fine working condition.
    Take that CNET!!
    Anyone else think their Focus S is well made, and able to withstand everyday use?

CNET's review here: Samsung Focus S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review.
    snowmutt and drjjd3 like this.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rahtid View Post
    A website that I've lost all respect for as of a few years ago, if i ever did have it in the first place, is CNET. They, at one point, listed the Focus S as one of the top 5 smartphones, but then went on to demean the device by suggesting that it is fragile, simply because it is light. Jessica Dolcort who did a full review stated, "...it feels a little insubstantial, and I'm unconvinced of its ability to sustain casualties from butterfingers' repeated drops." I also saw similar comments from I believe Molly Woods, but cannot seem to locate them at this point. I took exception to their review when I saw it mentioned on WPCentral because I though that in the absence of historical data suggesting high failures due to drops, CNET's assertion is entirely baseless and irresponsible.
    Well, today I dropped my beloved Focus S, totally by accident mind you, from just above waist height. I accidentally pulled it out of my cycling jersey pocket, and it fell on fairly rough asphalt and then rolled and slid several feet. I took it up, turned it on, and there wasn't a single crack or scratch on the screen. After a quick inspection I identified, due to a telltale dent and related gouges, that the lower right edge took the brunt of the impact . Other than that, it's in fine working condition.
    Take that CNET!!
    Anyone else think their Focus S is well made, and able to withstand everyday use?

CNET's review here: Samsung Focus S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review.
    I never really liked Samsung's phones because the plastic made it feel cheap to me, but someone in the family owns a Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version of the original Galaxy S) and I think it would survive a drop just because it's so light. It's just like dropping a piece of paper, it isn't going to get damaged because there's no mass! :P

I agree though, I don't think they should call it fragile just because it's made of plastic and feels light in their hands. I think Samsung devices have pretty good build quality, it's just the plastic and the weight that makes it feel "cheap" to some people.

This phone is most definitely not fragile. In fact it has been quite durable I wouldn't go as far to say that it's bulletproof but it fares drops better than a iPhone and most androids

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
    This phone is most definitely not fragile. In fact it has been quite durable I wouldn't go as far to say that it's bulletproof but it fares drops better than a iPhone and most androids

Yeah, iPhones, you wouldn't want to drop. The metal frame is quite strong actually, but the glass will likely shatter if the phone lands on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    I never really liked Samsung's phones because the plastic made it feel cheap to me, but someone in the family owns a Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version of the original Galaxy S) and I think it would survive a drop just because it's so light. It's just like dropping a piece of paper, it isn't going to get damaged because there's no mass! :P

I agree though, I don't think they should call it fragile just because it's made of plastic and feels light in their hands. I think Samsung devices have pretty good build quality, it's just the plastic and the weight that makes it feel "cheap" to some people.
    I like your analogy of the falling paper, and allusion to Force = Mass x Acceleration. I wonder why so many people, i.e. CNET, don't get it and automatically assume that light smartphone = fragile smartphone. While I would never go so far as to say a light smartphone handles falls better, I would never suggest the opposite without objective data since ultimately how a device handles a fall has a lot to do with its internal design/construction.

Global Posts
    3,532 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    First of all, I like CNET. I think they do a decent job at reviewing products. Do not forget: They declared the "S" the best Windows Phone ever made, so I am pleased with them. :-D

Samsung does not make cheap phones, they use inexpensive material. Yes, I prefer the feel of an HTC, Sony-Erikson, or Motorola in my hand as well. The are made from great feeling materials and have a little "heft" to them that is missing in Samsung. But you will not find a pattern of Samsung phones shattering, breaking, or cracking from normal wear and tear. The are very durable, especially the top end Samsungs like the "S", the GS2, or the Skyrocket. Sammy puts a lot of effort into their products. Now, I would rather go back to using a rotary dial phone on the wall of my house than use some of the lower end Samsung products. Those bottom feeder, low end Androids that our Korean friends put out are junk, pure and simple. But I am totally at ease with the guts and backbone of our Focus "S". I am willing to bet our little sibling the Focus Flash is equally as tough.

I put a case on mine. I like the "heft". I do not think it needs it to survive.

I've dropped my phone about twice. Perfect fine both times.

Lightweight is not a disadvantage in my view, I like the feel of the Focus S. Since almost every device gets 3.5 'stars' in the ranking system, you have to take the ratings with a grain of salt, but they usually provide a lot of detail.
    Jessica and Molly write pure fluff, I don't take them seriously at all.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    I actually went to the Microsoft Store yesterday and held the Focus S. Although it is very light, I do not think it is fragile. I am pretty sure it would survive a drop, possibly even better than my HTC Titan would.

I still hate plastic though, but that's why we have Nokia and HTC. Though I do think polycarbonate is technically plastic. Special plastic. :P

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I've grown sick of Samsung's ridiculously light plastic phones, but they're extremely durable and pretty well made. Samsung needs to take a lesson from Nokia on how to make plastic phones look and feel good.
    snowmutt likes this.
  11. mykllee
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    I've grown sick of Samsung's ridiculously light plastic phones, but they're extremely durable and pretty well made. Samsung needs to take a lesson from Nokia on how to make plastic phones look and feel good.
    +1. If the S wasn't so darn slippery, it would be simply perfect! Love the way it looks, but c'mon Samsung, do you actually hold the phones you make?
    I love my Samsung phones, Im a clutz at the best of times, and I've dropped, slid, kicked and bounced both the Focus, and Focus S, and they still work perfectly. My Titan on the other hand, lasted only ONE slight drop and was toast!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    From what I've read, and from having compared both the Focus S and my GS2 side by side at the store, they appear to have roughly the same body, and both have Super Amoled screens.

That being said, check out this drop test that the chums at CNET probably would never have the nerve to try. Samsung makes solid devices and am loving my GS2. Hopefully I'll be rocking a Focus S soon!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw[/YT]

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inka Cola View Post
    From what I've read, and from having compared both the Focus S and my GS2 side by side at the store, they appear to have roughly the same body, and both have Super Amoled screens.

That being said, check out this drop test that the chums at CNET probably would never have the nerve to try. Samsung makes solid devices and am loving my GS2. Hopefully I'll be rocking a Focus S soon!

Yeah, I think the Focus S is the WP7 version of the GSII.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm a fan of Samsung's build quality. The materials they use may not feel the best, but they are more durable in a lot of ways than metal phones (and certainly glass phones). Plastic can flex and absorb impact. Metal phones won't flex and most of the force of the drop is basically absorbed by the glass. Glass cannot flex either, and it shatters.

The build materials could use some work, but the quality is great for avoiding damage.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    That's the reason I don't like HTC phones. They are heavy so you just know that they will get destroyed if they fell.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    Man that 4S got destroyed.
    Winterfang likes this.

I have a 1st generation Focus and its not fragile. I keep it in my old Blackberry leather case and have dropped it many times. The phone doesn't have a single scratch on it.

As you can see in the video IPhone = fragile. ****, an entire industry has been created just to repair them.

I have a buddy who opened a shop that does nothing but repair IPhones and he is making a fortune.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I guess there is something to be said about having a phone with a plastic body vs Alloy. The plastic will absorb better, right?

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have a unique perspective on this...my first WP7 device was an HD7. I dropped it from roughly shoulder height. It had significant damage to the metal housing, but no screen damage. I bought it from Amazon and decided to replace it with a Focus S since it has "4G" and a faster processor. About a week after getting the S...yep, I dropped it. This time it fell out of a hoodie pocket from waist height onto concrete. Total shatter to the Gorilla Glass on the bottom half of the screen and significant scratching of the housing. While the angle of the strike could have played a part, the Sammie fared much worse in my unofficial and unintentional drop test. My replacement S arrived today...while I love the phone and have no real qualms about it's design/materials, a Case Mate protective case is in the mail right behind it. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer007ll View Post
    Click to view quoted image

Most droids are made of similar build...

Almost all of Samsungs line is nearly identical in that way. LG is similar, Moto and HTC varies by device.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    Yeah, I think the Focus S is the WP7 version of the GSII.
    Correct.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I like the design of the Focus S. It is great to see some great hardware taking advantage of the Windows Phone OS. I, however, have had a dropping incident that proved to be disasterous.
    Just a couple of weeks after getting my "S", I somehow dropped it on the sidewalk. It had survived drops before, but this time it cartwheeled, end over end. The screen was completly shattered, and didn't work at all. I had to use insurance to replace the device.
    Needless to say, I now have a decent case for it, and although it does make it a bit bulkier, I have no problem with the combined weight of it.
    When I know I will be within the safety of my home I still take the case off, because this phone is just so flippin' beautiful!

I have to say I love my Focus S....but I am on my second shatter screen. Very careful with the phone and do have a small protective cover on the device. I have probably dropped the phone three times in the history of ownership...2 of the time trashed the screen now. I was holing out for the Ativ S because I truly love their hardware and never have any major problems with the equipment. I think this will push me to go ahead an buy the 920 off contract because another insurance claim on the focus S and they will drop me like a rock...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast