Just got my first Windows Phone

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! It has been a week since I got my first Windows Phone and I must say this OS is extremely nice. I am coming from android devices and I remember Duvi from the AC boards. I had the Titan first but after a week of my wife telling me I sounded horrible on the phone and finding there is a grip of death issue I switched to the Focus S. I must say that this phone is a lot better for me than the Titan.

Anyway, any tips and tricks for a first time user? Any must have apps or games that I need to be aware of? Any other sites I need to visit (I know about XDA)?

Thanks!

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, have you added your Facebook and Twitter accounts (not apps) to the phone?

If you have an Xbox, Xbox Companion is a must have app. For good games, 99% of the Xbox LIVE ones are awesome. If you're looking for a Words With Friends alternate get Words By Post (it's cross-platform too). Tango video chat app of you're into that (cross-platform & PC). Best Twitter apps = Birdsong, Rowi, Mehdoh. Supertube = awesome YouTube app. And if you want an app to access this forum and others, there's Board Express (although it's a very mediocre app).

If you have any questions please let us know :)

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I have added my twitter and facebook accounts to the phone. I have also downloaded the apps but hate them. Is there an alternative to the official facebook app? I will try your suggestions for twitter.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome cajumcartfan!!!

I hope you continue to enjoy your "S". Most of us are very, very satisfied with it. I am impressed enough to feel like I would stick with Samsung so long as they put effort into their WP8's, even though we all know Nokia may be top dawg for WP. We will see.

As far as other sites, Windows Power user is a decent one, as is Windows Phone Sauce. Pocket Now gets exclusives, and I love Phone Arena. Truthfully, I think this is the best site. I find very little negativity here and very, VERY knowledgable users.

Give some idea of what you use your phone for. Is it mostly a convienince item and you just use games or such to pass the time? Are you a social network nut? Use it for work? Big time media streamer? The more you ask, the more the users on here will help you out. Also, cruise the other phones forums. Windows Phone is so universal, the software experience is shared by everyone. It isn't like Android where rooting, skins, and so many software levels (some on froyo, some on Gingerbread, ect.) make it hard to get the right thread.

The original Focus forums have a ton of experienced users and can really help with ideas. The Focus Flash may be able to give fun ideas as well.

Post often, and let us know what you think!!

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Welcome cajumcartfan!!!

I hope you continue to enjoy your "S". Most of us are very, very satisfied with it. I am impressed enough to feel like I would stick with Samsung so long as they put effort into their WP8's, even though we all know Nokia may be top dawg for WP. We will see.

As far as other sites, Windows Power user is a decent one, as is Windows Phone Sauce. Pocket Now gets exclusives, and I love Phone Arena. Truthfully, I think this is the best site. I find very little negativity here and very, VERY knowledgable users.

Give some idea of what you use your phone for. Is it mostly a convienince item and you just use games or such to pass the time? Are you a social network nut? Use it for work? Big time media streamer? The more you ask, the more the users on here will help you out. Also, cruise the other phones forums. Windows Phone is so universal, the software experience is shared by everyone. It isn't like Android where rooting, skins, and so many software levels (some on froyo, some on Gingerbread, ect.) make it hard to get the right thread.

The original Focus forums have a ton of experienced users and can really help with ideas. The Focus Flash may be able to give fun ideas as well.

Post often, and let us know what you think!!

Thanks for the sites. I will check them out.

I use my phone for email and some web browsing and to play some games to waste time. I also use it to play music in my truck when I am driving. Other than that I like to keep up on Facebook and Twitter when I am on the go and use text messaging.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the sites. I will check them out.

I use my phone for email and some web browsing and to play some games to waste time. I also use it to play music in my truck when I am driving. Other than that I like to keep up on Facebook and Twitter when I am on the go and use text messaging.

I recommend looking into a Zune pass. $10/month for unlimited streaming music and 10 free song downloads OTA!

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
So far I am really loving my Windows Phone but I have little thing thing that is nagging at me. Has anyone noticed an inconsistency in email push. Has anyone else noticed this? I have my live, gmail, and exchange syncing and they are all set to sync when mail arrives. I've noticed it because I can get notified on my desktop that I have mail in exchange and sometimes my phone doesn't notify me until 15 minutes later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea