Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By snowmutt
  • 1 Post By ninjaap

Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Microsoft touched on the fact that existing devices will not get the actual 8.0 version (moment of sad silence), but "some" will get the rumored 7.8 upgrade which will be feature rich. Among the upgrades will be the new customizable start screen, the Wallet Hub (no NFC), and upgraded Windows Office and security integrations.

The first three devices listed? The Nokia 900 (of course), the HTC Radar (surprised by that one), and....

.... wait for it.....

THE EVER AWESOME FOCUS S!!!!!

Makes me smile. I am sure all 2nd Gen devices will get it, but ain't it nice to be first???

:-D
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    ninjaap and wp7isawesome like this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    That's great news! How bout skype integration?!
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    That's great news! How bout skype integration?!
    Really good question. I didn't hear the entire upgrade list, but I would assume Skype would easily be part of it. When I hear, I will post!!

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Holy Cow! WP7.8 coming in a matter of weeks???

RT ‏@NokiaUS @APNWindowsPhone The update will be rolling out in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/APNWindowsPhone/...49101260013568

any news for its availability on Samsung Focus SGH-I917?
    Last edited by Sunil Zishan; 06-21-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Holy Cow! WP7.8 coming in a matter of weeks???

RT ‏@NokiaUS @APNWindowsPhone The update will be rolling out in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/APNWindowsPhone/...49101260013568
    I wouldn't hold my breathe on that, ninjaap. The reply was "coming weeks". I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't start rolling out before WP8 handsets do, but not THAT much before. They will do what MS always does- kinda leave everyone on the edge of their chair in suspense, then pop up with all kinds of news. Give them time.

@Sunil Zishan- no news on any 1st gen devices yet. Sorry. Will keep on eyes open.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    Microsoft touched on the fact that existing devices will not get the actual 8.0 version (moment of sad silence), but "some" will get the rumored 7.8 upgrade which will be feature rich. Among the upgrades will be the new customizable start screen, the Wallet Hub (no NFC), and upgraded Windows Office and security integrations.

The first three devices listed? The Nokia 900 (of course), the HTC Radar (surprised by that one), and....

.... wait for it.....

THE EVER AWESOME FOCUS S!!!!!

Makes me smile. I am sure all 2nd Gen devices will get it, but ain't it nice to be first???

:-D
    Woohoo!! Thats awesoem but where are you finding this info? Can you share the link?

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breathe on that, ninjaap. The reply was "coming weeks". I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't start rolling out before WP8 handsets do, but not THAT much before. They will do what MS always does- kinda leave everyone on the edge of their chair in suspense, then pop up with all kinds of news. Give them time.

@Sunil Zishan- no news on any 1st gen devices yet. Sorry. Will keep on eyes open.
    Unfortunately, you are right. I read the rest of the twitter feed and Nokia clarified that updates such as camera functions will be coming in the next few weeks. 7.8 is still yet to be announced.

Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by infamousdaveman View Post
    Woohoo!! Thats awesoem but where are you finding this info? Can you share the link?
    I can only find this link, with our Focus S, the 900, and the Radar on the shortlist:

Existing devices won?t get Windows Phone 8

I cannot find the story that claimed what some of the features were that 7.8 would include. Sorry, I was all over the Mobile websites that day, and now have lost track of where I read it. With a couple of sources saying that 7.8 is only the start screen and nothing else, I have really looked (which I do not even remotely buy into. Nokia alone would demand more to keep their Lumia line relevant for three - four months). Sorry, if I find it, I will post it.

WHAT?! It's only coming to SOME devices? What about my HD7? :(

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielCeleste View Post
    WHAT?! It's only coming to SOME devices? What about my HD7? :(

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express
    Relax... breathe in, breathe out....

It is way to soon to say who will get the 7.8 update and who won't. This was simply the first communication on it. I truly believe that all second gen devices will get it. That would cover, strictly my opinion, all Nokia's, both Titans, the Fujitsu, and the other two Samsungs: the Focus Flash and the Focus 2 (unless sales of those two are so poor, they are not worth the effort. Surely at least the Flash?).

The HD7 and the first gen WP's are a little more iffy, but I wouldn't jump off the cliff yet. There is so much universal with these devices, that I see no reason why they couldn't upgrade them. The internals are close, and processor speeds are at least in the same ballpark.

The only thinking in not upgrading the HD7 family, the quantum, optimus 7, the original Focus (easily best seller of it's generation), the Arrive, the Trophy, and whatever I am missing would be to "encourage" those owners to get a WP8.

Again, we are months away from 7.8 upgrade (I still am hoping for the freaking Tango upgrades for my "S" and my Wife's Titan. Hate that disappearing keyboard) and the WP 8 release. We shall see.
    Thanked by: