Speaker too loud after firmware update

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
A few days ago, I applied all the updates for my Samsung Focus S (AT&T) since 7.5 including the "Samsung update" firmware update, using the Zune software.

The phone still works ok, but I've noticed the speaker volume has been drastically increased. I used to set the volume at 3-5 and an email notification sound would be reasonably quiet so as to not disturb anyone else in the same room. A level of 10-15 would be sufficient for me to hear it across a large room or in an adjacent room. 30 was much louder than I would ever want.

Now, with the volume at the minimum setting of 1, it's louder than it used to be at 5. I can't make the phone quiet enough anymore. This is disappointing for a volume scale that goes to 30. The new range above 15-20 is just ridiculous and ends up distorting badly.

I know the analog output via the headphone jack was SUPER QUIET before, and maybe they fixed that and the popping (I haven't tried it yet) ... but the speaker volume scale was just fine the way it was. I'm sad that they changed it.

I've seen some older posts about how to adjust gain settings for the regular Focus using some built-in diagnostic mode and entering some stuff into the dialer, but with my Focus S I could only get as far as the diagnostic app - anything entered after that didn't result in anything happening. I also didn't see any "call button" in my diagnostic mode - only the dialpad and a backspace button above it.

Anyone else have this problem or any ideas of what can be done about it?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't maximum volume (level 30) loud enough through the speaker before? It was so loud before that I don't think I ever used it even in private watching some crappy YouTube video with inadequate volume in the recording. I just don't see how this is a good thing for anyone. Even if they really needed to boost the volume they could've left the lowest settings alone, unless they just made the change in a stupid way - which seems to be the case here. I thought Samsung was actually pretty competent based on my previous experience with this phone but they've proven me wrong with this update.

I work in an office with other people and now have to choose between:
  • imposing my cell phone noises on people not even in the same room as me
  • giving up on audio notifications and just keeping the phone on silent
  • keeping the phone on vibrate (still makes noise), and have to go to the control panel if I ever want to disable vibrate (important for a meeting)

Plus every morning now, I start my day by being loudly reminded that my cell phone used to work great and no longer does, thanks to the alarm sound now blaring much louder than necessary.

Thanks to Microsoft too for not giving us a separate volume control for the alarm. Now I'm going to have to go through the hassle of making an edited MP3 with the volume reduced, then using that horrid Zune software and jumping through whatever hoops are needed to try to use a custom sound for an alarm - if it's even possible. With my old Nokia flip phone it was dirt simple - transfer over any MP3 via Bluetooth, select it as the alarm sound, set the alarm volume.

It's very frustrating to have something so basic and ever-present get WORSE in an update like this. But it's even MORE frustrating that it may be seen as an improvement by some people! Come on. 30 levels of volume! Surely that is enough to allow level 1 out of 30 to be reasonably quiet.

JCMaedl

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem too, noticed it immediately when texting, before the sound was perfect - very subtle subdued clicks, and now its like the typical iPhone jerk - clicking away... and the speakers "shake" when playing the sounds which makes the whole thing sound like crap. If they wanted to update the sounds they could have done it while providing an option for us to change the alert volumes. VERY dissapointed in this update.

Does anyone know a way to control the sounds? Registry hack, anything??

bikedogrun

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I too noticed its much louder, but since I have pretty bad ears, Its something Im super happy about!! Sorry its such an inconvienence to you though :(
Interesting thread.

We have a Lumia 900, I just got a Focus S. Not to go too deeply into the Lumia, but it does have a superb speaker... very clear and quite loud.

My not-so-young fifty-something ears really enjoy (and need) the external speaker to be quite loud as I often listen to podcasts & music sans headphones. The Focus S (after numerous updates yesterday was finally at Tango 8773 (which I "thought" was the most current) but the sound volume; even at 28-29 was still much too soft (for me). I'm starting to think return this phone to the eBay Seller (30 day return policy) as it just won't work. Yes; the Lumia has great sound... BUT - it's just too heavy & uncomfortable in the hand (IMHO) and whats with having all the buttons (Vol-Up, Vol-Down, Power & Camera) all on the right side of the phone with nothing on the left? Weird; I'd keep hitting the Power button when I wanted Vol-Down unless I looked rather than by touch.

By chance just before I gave up on the Focus S, I checked for another update and VOILA... the Samsung Firmware Update appeared!

Perfect; exactly what I was looking for. I'm loving the Focus S right now. So slender, so light, so comfy in the hand. No more Android... this Focus S now rocks (literally) ///

Sorry to those that now find it too loud, but for this guy - ITS GREAT!!! :cool:

/BD ;)

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
One other new annoying thing about this update: There is now an audible pop from the speaker sometimes when the phone is set to SILENT mode and it goes to play a sound like an email notification.

How is this even possible? It boggles the mind.

I hope there's another update someday that fixes these problems, but I'm not holding my breath.

Samsung: Just change the volume scaling to make volume levels 0-5 as quiet as they were before you broke it, 25-30 as loud as they are now, and some kind of transition in between. Then everyone can be happy! This is not rocket science.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte