7.8 success on Focus S?

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyone get the 7.8 update for a Focus S? Via Zune? Tricking Zune with internet disconnect? Via cab?

So far I have no success with Zune. I was able to trick zune to update my L900, but not Focus S. Focus S is SIM unlocked if that matters. I would prefer to wait for a Zune install, but would resort to cab if there is no official update coming for Focus S.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think I will send an email to AT&T and maybe Samsung to see if there is any official word on it. Will post responses if I get any.

othercents

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that just the same as the CAB update? I personally want the official, however I have an unlocked phone and haven't gotten the update either.

Other

bob18

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that just the same as the CAB update? I personally want the official, however I have an unlocked phone and haven't gotten the update either.

Other

I completely understand, and chances are it will, but I got kinda frustrated not only waiting, but not hearing anything from Samsung. But yea, this is exactly the cab method without all the technical steps.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, fellow "S" owners, here is my Email to AT&T:

Q3:please enter your phone question below:
A3:My wife, myself, and several of my friends have Windows Phones
devices. We are curious to what information we can get concerning the
WP 7.8 update pending for our devices. I have the Samsung Focus S, my
wife has the HTC Titan 2, and my friends have Samsung Focus 2 and the
Focus Flash. Any information on when we can see this update? The Nokia
900 is already recieving it, and we are curious.

Thank you for your time.

And here is AT&T's not so encouraging response:

Unfortunately at this time we do not have a date for the Windows 7.8
update for the devices you mentioned. For more information on Windows
updates you can visit Windows support website at
Support - Microsoft Windows Help.

I apologize for any trouble this may have caused. If there is anything
else we can assist you with please feel free to contact us again. Thank
you for being an AT&T customer.

Sincerely,

Julie Jones
AT&T National Solution Centers

I did go to Microsoft, but their Web site is among the least user friendly you will EVER try to surf. As far as I can tell, there are only generic "coming features", and I have had no luck finding a place to email a rep. I will continue to look though. I am not way worried yet, as there is a promise from Samsung to update all their WP 7.5 devices to 7.8:

Windows Phone 7.8 Will Be Available For All Current 7.5 Running Samsung Handsets | Redmond Pie

I am not a huge fan of "forcing" updates, so I think I will give it a through the month of February to see how things roll. I can't imagine not having 7.8 by St. Patricks Day, can you?

I want to believe.......

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks snowmutt - that response was just the prodding I needed to run the seven-eighter cab utility. I read that ATT "unfortunately..." as saying "we'll get you that update when we run out of other things to do."

Add my Focus S as another seven-eighter (cab utility) success story.

Now I can move on from the WP7 update silliness and enjoy my favorite orphan OS.

B797

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have an "unlocked" Focus S and successfully used the "unplug cable" method to update to WP 7.8 (there were 3 updates).

edm4life

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me!! ATT Focus S locked

New tool helps make installing the Windows Phone 7.8 update slightly easier | Windows Phone Central

You need to do it 3 times. Select all the languages except Indonesian and Malaysian each time. Each time after you phone restarts, the computer program may crash, but just close it and reopen it and do it all again.

I tried the tool except the tool doesn't have the option to select Indonesian or Malaysian. It updated me to 7.8 but now I can't open a single one of my non-Microsoft apps. They all crash on launch. It's really bad. I am not sure where to go from here. Anyone have any ideas?

bob18

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried the tool except the tool doesn't have the option to select Indonesian or Malaysian. It updated me to 7.8 but now I can't open a single one of my non-Microsoft apps. They all crash on launch. It's really bad. I am not sure where to go from here. Anyone have any ideas?

you don't want to select those two languages. Additionally, try a soft reset

edm4life

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
you don't want to select those two languages. Additionally, try a soft reset

I know I don't want them, I just found it odd that they don't show up. I restored my phone from backup to 7.5 and I'm ready to try again. Under my keyboard settings I have 37 languages. Is this normal for a locked at&t focus s? Maybe I am unable to force the update bc the hack doesn't have all the languages my phone requires?

bob18

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know I don't want them, I just found it odd that they don't show up. I restored my phone from backup to 7.5 and I'm ready to try again. Under my keyboard settings I have 37 languages. Is this normal for a locked at&t focus s? Maybe I am unable to force the update bc the hack doesn't have all the languages my phone requires?

yeah, that's weird because I was sure that locked ATT focus S should only have 22 languages... I dunno if any win phone 7 has that many.

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If you use the Seven-eighter tool it does not erase any data, or require any reinstall of any apps or settings. It Make's a zune backup before it goes through process of updating your phone..

DaHui623

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I took the plunge, and wow. Add one more to the successful update column. And that steel gray accent color is nice. Thanks to Windows Phone Hacker!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb