Noob WP (experienced Android and WM tho) questions regarding SIM unlocked Focus S

Niubee43v3r

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Question 1: Seems like Focus S is never getting as much love as HTC Titan for some reason, why is that?

OK, I just got two extra WP phones I got back in 2012 SIM unlocked, sammy focus S and HTC Titan. I plan to give one to my parents in China to use, who are not tech savvy nor heavy cellular data user at all. I have a few questions based on what I skimmed through several WP forums (XDA etc) that I need you experienced users' help.

1. Which one is more *****-proof for old users, focus S or Titan?
2. Once I SIM unlocked it, I assume they can just pop a local SIM to talk and txt, right? Anything else that needs to be manually set up?
3. I noticed a few threads talking about tricks of setting APN with Straight Talk. How about TMobile? And I assume that's only used for data usage right? If my parents just use it to talk and txt plus WIFI, it should be fine just leave the settings unchanged?
4. Also a lot of threads were debating whether to upgrade to WP7.8 or not and how to do it. Now it's 2014, is WP7.8 upgrade pushed automatically by MS already or I still need to follow the instruction and use 3rd party tools to do it?
5. Is there any custom ROMs for this phone at all? And what are the immediate updates/mods you guys suggest if I boot up the phone for the first time.

Thanks so much.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just like the VCR, those devices have served the purpose of paving the way for the devices we see today. And just like the VCR, plug in a tape, it will still work but don't expect to see LED formatted mag tapes any time soon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Only the Titan can get custom ROMs right now but it has to be the x310E model (x310A is US version). HSPL is attainable but it can be a pain (Y-cables, goldcards, etc.) while the Sammy can be interop unlocked rather easily.

As for connections, both the HTC and Samsung connection setup apps have T-Mobile settings to choose from to have voice, text & MMS functioning. The posts you read concerning Straight Talk are because carrier settings have not found their way to these apps. Since WP7/7.5 has been mothballed, I doubt those settings will ever find their way in.

Regarding 7.8, the seveneighter process is pretty foolproof and I've used it successfully with each of those phones. It's nice to have the additional theme colors and the re-sizable tiles.

Good luck with your choice.

Niubee43v3r

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Only the Titan can get custom ROMs right now but it has to be the x310E model (x310A is US version). HSPL is attainable but it can be a pain (Y-cables, goldcards, etc.) while the Sammy can be interop unlocked rather easily.

As for connections, both the HTC and Samsung connection setup apps have T-Mobile settings to choose from to have voice, text & MMS functioning. The posts you read concerning Straight Talk are because carrier settings have not found their way to these apps. Since WP7/7.5 has been mothballed, I doubt those settings will ever find their way in.

Regarding 7.8, the seveneighter process is pretty foolproof and I've used it successfully with each of those phones. It's nice to have the additional theme colors and the re-sizable tiles.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the information. Regarding the 7.8 upgrade, does it block "jailbreak" at all? And to be frank, what more would jailbreak bring? I have a Surface tab running RT system and when I checked the windows app store, I'd say not very impressed, filled with cheapo, junky type of apps. Is it any different with WP store or other 3rd party developers' work? I don't see a very active development of windows phone apps or tweaks compared to Android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. Regarding the 7.8 upgrade, does it block "jailbreak" at all? And to be frank, what more would jailbreak bring? I have a Surface tab running RT system and when I checked the windows app store, I'd say not very impressed, filled with cheapo, junky type of apps. Is it any different with WP store or other 3rd party developers' work? I don't see a very active development of windows phone apps or tweaks compared to Android.

You should update to 7.8 before doing anything. If you hard SPL a Titan, the bootloader is unlocked and will stay that way. As for apps, WP7 is fairly stagnant. I personally prefer WP7 over WP8 for its speed and smoothness. WP8 does have some improvements and an app advantage but not for what I need. Your mileage may vary.

Niubee43v3r

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
You should update to 7.8 before doing anything. If you hard SPL a Titan, the bootloader is unlocked and will stay that way. As for apps, WP7 is fairly stagnant. I personally prefer WP7 over WP8 for its speed and smoothness. WP8 does have some improvements and an app advantage but not for what I need. Your mileage may vary.

I think I'm gonna give this Focus S to them as there seems not to be a lot of playing/hacking/customizing opportunities for this device compared to Titan. Anyways, if this is the case, according to your reply, I should directly upgrade to 7.8 before doing anything else (this is a brand new, never activated ATT device)? And so far there's no automatic 7.8 upgrade via Zune available and I have to use the tool Seveneighter?

After the upgrade, how do I "jailbreak" it then? Any tutorials? The posts in WP community seems to be very unorganized, I'm having some trouble getting a clear clue of each steps.

One last question, does the official Att ROM have Chinese language interface at all?

TIA.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm gonna give this Focus S to them as there seems not to be a lot of playing/hacking/customizing opportunities for this device compared to Titan. Anyways, if this is the case, according to your reply, I should directly upgrade to 7.8 before doing anything else (this is a brand new, never activated ATT device)? And so far there's no automatic 7.8 upgrade via Zune available and I have to use the tool Seveneighter?

After the upgrade, how do I "jailbreak" it then? Any tutorials? The posts in WP community seems to be very unorganized, I'm having some trouble getting a clear clue of each steps.

One last question, does the official Att ROM have Chinese language interface at all?

TIA.

Start here: The Complete Guide to Jailbreaking Windows Phone 7.8 (Updated March 26th) - Windows Phone Hacker

As for the Chinese, I have no idea. English and Spanish are my only languages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss