Any news on official accessories?

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I'm going through some of my older cases to narrow down what works with either the Focus or Surround. So far, the HD2 cases are working out the best with the SPE cases leading the pack.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I liked the last Otterbox impact series case i had for my last phone. I'm hoping they release one for the Focus. For now, I'm just using a screen protector.

mharr

Jan 2, 2004
Visit site
Look for accessories for any Galaxy S phone, they are all the same. I am even using the battery from my Captivate as extra to swap with my Focus.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Look for accessories for any Galaxy S phone, they are all the same. I am even using the battery from my Captivate as extra to swap with my Focus.

That's interesting. I just took a look here: Cell Phone Accessories - seems like there are slight variations for the desktop stand (the horizontal one's), I wonder if any of these would be a good fit for the i917 (Focus)

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The included headphones are pretty nice and solved a problem that I was anticipating - not having a hardware button to skip tracks while I'm running. If I press the .. button twice, it goes to the next track.

I need a good armband.

Also, one of my Samsung phones from years ago (p300) came with a nice case that served as an extended battery.
P300.jpg

I know that such a case being made is highly unlikely but I love the idea of a folio style case with a built-in battery. I think I saw that Samsung had some folio style cases that open sideways for the Galaxy S.

I would like a dock (preferably with TV out). Don't know how that would look, given the microUSB placement.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would like a dock (preferably with TV out). Don't know how that would look, given the microUSB placement.

TV Out is not so important to me, but I like having a dock on my nightstand that i can drop my phone into and just grab and go in the morning. I figured a dock would be out given the usb location.

I grabbed the universal car mount that AT&T sells, and it seems to handle it well, except for having both a power and aux in cable running to the top of the phone.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
TV Out is not so important to me, but I like having a dock on my nightstand that i can drop my phone into and just grab and go in the morning. I figured a dock would be out given the usb location.

I grabbed the universal car mount that AT&T sells, and it seems to handle it well, except for having both a power and aux in cable running to the top of the phone.
yeah, the USB placement definitely throws things off. It would've been cool if Microsoft standardized USB placement or even a zune-stye connector because that would enable a larger accessory market. But I can understand why they didn't (or couldn't).

As far as the focus is concerned, I was thinking perhaps a dock that holds the phone upright in landscape, where the left side/posterior corner is high enough to jack into the USB port. Or a dock like the one for my harmony remote, the device "lays" in the dock and there's a connector at the top. Granted, the harmony doesn't need to plug in to charge. Having a dock that accommodates this odd USB placement might increase the likelihood of the plug or port being damaged since the phone's weight isn't resting on the plug as it would in a traditional dock.

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah,

This USB from top kinda throws me off everytime I grab my phone while connected. I always end up holding it upside down.

It's just not natural for me, I guess...

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, so I didn't realize that the captivate has the same usb placement. Looks like there is a dock for the Captivate.
ECR-D981BEBSTD_COMBO_400X400.jpg

Seems like it might work with the Focus but Samsung states that it's not compatible with it. Hopefully Samsung will make one for the Focus soon.

This is the galaxy s I was referring to earlier. Definitely not worth $40 and I don't know how wise it would be to have a case that looks like a wallet (although a smartphone is probably as much of a target as a wallet anyways). I like the form factor and the camera cutout, I don't want a pouch or a shell case.
ET-0D700NLGHPW_L_400X400.jpg

From the description:
New Vertical SAMSUNG design case with snap-in wallet securely holds your phone while enclosed in a Natural leather case. The magnetic snap closure enables you to lock your phone in or convert your case into a horizontal desk top display. Your camera use is not limited while in case mode

techjunkieforlife

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store today as I really needed something. $30 for a gel sleeve and made the lock and volume buttons unuseable! Try before you buy folks and let us know if you find anything as I'm having no luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99