Need a screen protector

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought (and just returned) the stock ones from AT&T. There was a 3 pack for 9.99. It went on the phone okay, but couldn't get the front protector off the mask without it peelig back up and bubbling. So I don't recommend those to anyone..... They didn't want to accept the return on them to start with, but when faced with the question of them doing it or it being done as a chargeback through mastercard they relented....

I also returned the body glove case they sel. It was so tight that it just kept turning the phone on and off all the time...not much use.

Let us know if you try the ones above.

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I went with the three pack from ATT and it worked fine. Had it on the phone since day two and I'm totally happy with it. Took me two tries,but it was the first tie id ever done it myself.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
+1 on Zaggs. With it the screen still feels like glass. Its a big improvement over their original tacky stuff. The back one is textured so its slightly non slip.
Another +1 on the Zagg InvisiShields, they are awesome. I hate bulky plastic/rubber cases.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
Gorilla glass is excellent stuff. It is very hard to scratch. I have been rocking a naked Focus for a few weeks now, and there is no discernable damage.

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
pssst, it will definitely scratch/break. i have babied my phone since i bought it, it never has seen any type of contact that would be considered a drop, yet when i was putting on my boxwave screen protector i noticed a very light scratch on the glass. looks like it came from a fingernail, too.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Gorilla glass will scratch. There are plenty of people with iPhones complaining about scratches on their front glass. I think the advantage of Gorilla glass is it is less prone to scratches (but not 100%) and will take more abuse in terms of bending force. If it is dropped it will shatter.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
iPhone 4 does not have Gorilla Glass

Gorilla glass will scratch. There are plenty of people with iPhones complaining about scratches on their front glass. I think the advantage of Gorilla glass is it is less prone to scratches (but not 100%) and will take more abuse in terms of bending force. If it is dropped it will shatter.
People complain of their iPhone screen scratches because the iPhone does not have Gorilla Glass ;)

Yes, it was rumored to have it and the blogs said it did, but even Corning does not list it (yet all Galaxy S devices, which the Focus is, do).

Having spoken with Corning directly at trade events and even hacking at few times myself, it is very tough stuff. For the record, my Focus is naked--no case, no screen protector. I've also dropped my phone from 5 feet up onto a hard tile floor and it's fine (was photographing it, not on purpose).

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
will sell my boxwave protectors

i bought a 3-pack of the screen protectors from boxwave (crystal clear type). they are way easier to install than i thought, and the only reason i got 3 was for back-up reasons. i don't need 2 of them though. if you want one i will ship it to you for $10 total in the US. both will be $20. i think boxwave sells them for $15 for 1 or $28 for a 3-pack.

RLGL

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's site states that the Focus uses "Gorilla Glass":

Get to Know the Samsung Focus

Should it get scratched, I wonder if plastic polish would work? I guess that depends on if "Gorilla Glass" really is glass or just hard plastic.

Gorilla Glass is in fact an amorphous glass, not plastic. Corning doesn't really work with plastics, they focus on glass and ceramics.

Plastic polish will not work, at least not really. You may be able to fill in cracks with some sort of epoxy or a polyacrylamide, maybe, if it matches the index of refraction, but that'd be a guessing game.

As a general note, Gorilla Glass is really remarkable. Stiffer than steel (per weight), and almost unbreakable! Almost wish Corning had been successful in selling it for car windows, way back when...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12